Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Use linear DC power supply as a charger instead of buying another charger? >

Use linear DC power supply as a charger instead of buying another charger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use linear DC power supply as a charger instead of buying another charger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Use linear DC power supply as a charger instead of buying another charger?

Ok so I have a 300 dollar linear DC power supply variable from 0-32 volts, up to the 100th of a volt, and variable from 0-5 amps to the 100th of an amp.

can I just turn the voltage to 7.4V for my NiMH packs at 2C for 30 mins?

I know chargers do cut off voltage but it would be a very simple alternative, especially if I discharge all the way every time (like I do... =-/...)

anyone know if I can do this?

also could I do this with a lipo, just set it to 3.9V plug in the balance charger port and leave it for 1 hr?

its just laying around my house and I dont want to go out and buy a 100 dollar lipo charger in conjunction with this power supply if I dont have to.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Initiate

While you have the basic concepts correct the reality of charging packs is a bit more complicated.
If you can monitor the peak voltage, watch the temp. and don't expect the maxium life or performance from your packs then go right ahead.
the price of a decent dc charger is less then the cost of one good race pack...
Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Yes it would not be very good for charging nimh batts as said above, you'd have to keep a very close eye on it all the time and wont get a good charge into them

If its a cc/cv charger (constant voltage/constant current) then its quite good for charging lipo's and lion's.

A few things you'll need to know though, have a "quick" read through the following post and all will be revealed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525664

Bear in mind the A123 cells are the latest lion type, but the same charging method as lipos so its all relavent, just make sure you know the correct volt and amp inputs.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

are you seriously considering charging lipos with a power supply?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah the A123 are lithium iron phosphate, they are what powers my actual vehicle.

those are cool to charge that way because they can sit there and recieve charge forever...

yeah I really should just go out and buy a lipo charger, its easier and safer...