Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Want to instantly fry your Novak GTB Spread Spectrum? >

Want to instantly fry your Novak GTB Spread Spectrum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to instantly fry your Novak GTB Spread Spectrum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 AM
TeQ
Tech Apprentice

Default Want to instantly fry your Novak GTB Spread Spectrum?

Well I just got my GTB SS back from Warranty. I decided to wiggle my front tires a bit while the lipo was plugged in and the ESC switch is off. This was my original problem, I moved the steering servo while the battery was plugged in and the ESC switch was off.

Doing this will cause your GTB to start popping and smoking almost instantly (magic smoke), this has happened twice to me so far. I'm curious if other people would have this problem, but I wouldn't recommend trying it out.

This is with a DS1015 servo, which runs fine and is brand new. I didn't even get to run the GTB before I smoked it.

I'm calling Novak when they wake up. I believe this is a huge flaw in their design. I do not know if this occurs on the older GTB or if it's 'acceptable' that if you were to leave your Lipo plugged in and toss your car in a bag, if it were to bump the front tires a bit your whole setup would burn down.

TeQ
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How are you getting power to the steering servo if the switch is OFF?? Or are you moving the front wheels (servo) by hand??
Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
TeQ
Tech Apprentice

If you crank the steering by hand just a bit it will do this.

TeQ
Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

That's a freak flaw and a half. Get a Castle Creations Sidewinder that has just as much Tunability, then get yourself a Trinity Duo motor of you choice. Sensored is old tech anyways....
Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
TeQ
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jheimb4897
That's a freak flaw and a half. Get a Castle Creations Sidewinder that has just as much Tunability, then get yourself a Trinity Duo motor of you choice. Sensored is old tech anyways....
I really want this to work. Obviously if it's a major flaw I'm going to have to find something else. Kinda sucks, I had my B44 the day it was released. I've got a new DX3r to run also, and so far I have only been able to get 3 minutes on it before the ESC blew. Warranty's are nice but waiting sucks.

I may run out and get that Sidewinder or the Mamba Max while I wait for this to get sorted out.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can't see why anyone would want to get the NOvak GTB Spread Spectrum (no offense!) or otherwise when you can get a Sphere Comp 07 or Sphere Comp TC--so easy to set up, runs both brushed and brushless and probably the smoothest controller out. At my track I don't think there is a single person running the GTB--its all Sphere Comps. I just don't think there is any comparison. Also, from what I understand all the tuning in the world of a Mamba system will still fall a little short in throttle control/smoothness of an out of the box Sphere--and for 2wd 19t or mod--smoothness is more important than outright power.
For racing, I think its the best controller right now, IMO.
Also, if that really is a "problem" with the Novak Spread Spectrums (sounds almost too crazy to be true)--there is no way in hell I would run it after it got fixed--I would put it up for sale asap. That is just not acceptable at all.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

I'm sure I've pushed my front wheels before switching on. No smoke on mine.

Sounds like something was mis-wired, either internal to the ESC or the rest of the car. I would think it had to be getting battery power to smoke the ESC as the servo couldn't generate enough power to do that. It may have burnt up even if you hadn't move the wheels
Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You must have something shorting out on your chassis I dunno. I have a DX3R radio with Futaba s9550 servo and the Novak GTB SS version. I decided to do what you did. I plugged in my lipo pack. Left the ESC switch off. I wiggled my front tires left and right several times and not a problem at all. I did this a couple times. Not a problem. You must have something miss wired or something. I dunno. Bad servo?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 AM
TeQ
Tech Apprentice

No, this isn't mis-wired. The servo runs fine, you have a very similar setup but you didn't say what Servo? Mine is a DS1015, it's very high power and high torque.

Again, this is the second GTB SS that has fried. My first run ever I ran up and down the street for 5-10 minutes, everything was fine. I came inside to adjust some linkage, switched the power off and moved wheels by hand. My ESC popped. Sent in for warranty. I just got it back and plugged everything in, I didn't even wire it myself this time as it came directly from novak 'pre tested'. I turned it on, gave the motor a quick test (wheels spin).

Because I had feeling but wasn't 100% sure, that the original issue was related to the steering servo, I tried it again, and instantly it popped and smoked.

So I believe it has to do with the DS1015 generating a high voltage. Perhaps I'll get a volt meter out and test it.

I know it may be hard to believe, but with this specific setup, there is clearly a problem.

DS1015
Spektrum RX
Novak GTB SS
2s LIPO
+ ESC Switch off
+ Battery Plugged in
+ Wiggle Steering Servo
-----------------------
Smoke and bad things
Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

if the esc was off and it popped , you have another problem , my 2 cents , ray
Old 01-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Your "high power" servo isn't going to generate any significant voltage, it's probably just shorted out. Shorts are what's going to fry electronics, not some magical current generation. Your servo isn't any crazy special deal, it's just a typical (off-brand) servo. They make them do different torque and speed mostly with gear ratios.

If you move the servo and it shorts the ESC...you already found your problem. The servo needs to go back and get repaired before you kill another ESC.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:27 AM
TeQ
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Your "high power" servo isn't going to generate any significant voltage, it's probably just shorted out. Shorts are what's going to fry electronics, not some magical current generation. Your servo isn't any crazy special deal, it's just a typical (off-brand) servo. They make them do different torque and speed mostly with gear ratios.

If you move the servo and it shorts the ESC...you already found your problem. The servo needs to go back and get repaired before you kill another ESC.
The servo is fine, it works fine. Please read everything before you comment and make assumptions, I've already stated that it's a working servo.

By trade I analyze details and report on them. I specifically narrowed this down and am informing everyone.

To debate your point, if the ESC is Turned off and the servo was shorted, it still shouldn't pop the ESC, since there is no power being provided to the servo. If the servo was short, it would fry the RX first. Regardless, the RX and Servo work fine with the ESC out of the loop. I put in a 4 AA batt pack to the RX after I removed the ESC just to test everything. Again, everything else is fine.

Also Corona sucks, I grew up in Riverside. =p

Laters,

TeQ
Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would try your experiment with another servo at the least.. Possibly another Reciever..
Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 AM
TeQ
Tech Apprentice

I just connected the servo up to my Fluke voltmeter to test. I am able to generate 4v if I turn the servo by hand. Not sure if that would be considered a lot or not in regards to putting the power back on the ESC.

I know a battery pack will produce about 5v. I connected another server I had laying around and was able to generate similar voltage readings. Assume it must be current related.

Later
Old 01-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I wish more people thought Corona and Riverside sucked...LOL

The on/off switch on an ESC is just a "standby" switch...the ESC is still "on" at a certain level, it's just not actively outputting voltage/current to the motor or servo. Ask me how I learned that one...LOL...

Just because your servo still functions, doesn't mean it's not causing the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.