Wiki Posts
Search

Glitching issue! *wants to kill self*

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Glitching issue! *wants to kill self*

im having a really weird glitching issue. Was happening back when my setup was Cyclone Tc2, Standard steering servo, and aitronics FM receiver that came with my MX-3 a while back (a long time ago actually). I have a carbon fiber chassis, but it never glitched at all for the longest time. I put the tc3 down for a while, then picked it back up this year and when i took it to La Mirada for OC circuit, it would glitch like crazy. I put it down again for awhile then went back to La Mirada for Toys4Tots...glitched worse. At this point, i was using a JR z590 steering servo, an XBR, and the same airtronics 75mhz FM receiver. I cleaned the receiver out, put double sided tape under everything (two layers), and put electrical tape around any touching wires in an attempt to insulate them more to keep the glitching down. Didnt help at all. Now here i am in San Antonio visiting my brother who wants me to race with him, and i got out to practice and its glitch city. I come try a different set of crystals and its no use. I try those crystals (and my original crystals) in an M11, no change. I go back to my mx-3 and try a different antenna...a tad less glitching but its still there. Now im back in my brother's street and it begins glitching when i go like... less than 30ft away but more than say...10-15ft. The throttle seems to studder heavily and after the throttle studders, sometimes the steering glitches too but the steering will never glitch if thats ALL i touch or move. Everything goes wrong once i hit the throttle (and this was with both the mx-3 and the m11). I had electrical tape across the bottom of the chassis and under the antenna and stuff to help insulate, no dice. I took it off and it seems better, oddy enough, but still bad. I switched to a different aitronics FM 75mhz receiver and try 2 sets of crystals in it both with the mx-3 and m11, still glitches (but alot less, though enough to anger me). Again, no glitching AT ALL unless i get on the throttle. This time i even put the receiver on top of the servo to keep it off the carbon fiber chassis and away from the ESC and its wires.

what the heck can this problem be? If i glitch tomorrow at the track again...im calling off racing on saturday with my bro because it would be a big waste of money. $20 and a toy donation for toys for tots and i glitched every single heat and was never able to really do my best because of it.

the really confusing part, if you backtrack a little, i went to SoCal on the friday before their last sunday race before they closed up (after the toys4tots race ive mentioned)... NO GLITCHING WHATSOEVER. But now here i am, glitchy as crazy again.

any ideas?

edit: pics are coming
Old 12-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sounds like its vibration-related. I would look for something making metal-to-metal or metal-to-carbon contact and is slightly loose or rubbing/scraping.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ESWLFSE
Sounds like its vibration-related. I would look for something making metal-to-metal or metal-to-carbon contact and is slightly loose or rubbing/scraping.
i suppose...but i had screws coming loose left and right at SoCal and experienced 0 glitching. Got them tightened down and fixed and stuff since then...or id like to think so. I did check over all my screws last time at socal and tightened everything down as good as i could, and the stuff that would tighten but not completely...i shoe-gooe'd a little. I doubt shoe-goo conducts electricty, and im sure it absorbs vibration...
Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try a new Battery pack and connectors--Do you run a switch? Sounds like a voltage issue to me
Old 12-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

does it with any battery i run, even new ones i recently bought.

A switch? on/off switch? yeah. Glitched whether it was mounted on the chassis, on the receiver, or the servo.

could it be the location of the power cap? or the power cap itself?

PICS: the motor wires are long because i swap this between my buggy and my tc3. The same glitching issues were experienced with a cyclone tc2/co27 combo that had super short motor wires...and this is the setup (nearly) that didnt glitch at all at SoCal...

Old 12-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Seen a bad bearing cause similar glitching.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Eliminate the on/off switch--bypass the switch to see what happens

Could be the Cap too? Have to start eliminating everything one at a time to find it
Old 12-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ESWLFSE
Seen a bad bearing cause similar glitching.
would relubing all the bearings help in that case? All the bearings seemed fine. I recently rebuilt the diffs and relubed all the bearings in and around the diffs...possibly missed the wheel bearings though....
im sure i lubed the bearings the driveshaft sits in too.

the cap is wired in...how would i change it?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

Bypass the switch first. That is more likely. A bearing bad enough to cause a glitch would be noticeably notchy from a hard hit and not just dry.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try to move the antenna off the chassis a bit, (drill a small hole in the side of the antenna tube instead of making it touch the chassis before going up through the antenna mount). You could also try turning the receiver around so the crystal is further away from the rotating aluminum driveshaft. Also try mounting the receiver behind the servo instead of on top of it.

1 more thing-- from experience I wouldn't use the aluminum battery hold down with the battery moved back, If you hit somthing the batt might move forward to the front position and the aluminum hold down will take the shrink wrap right off and short the battery. I've seen it done, just letting u know, its not a pretty sight.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ryan14
Try to move the antenna off the chassis a bit, (drill a small hole in the side of the antenna tube instead of making it touch the chassis before going up through the antenna mount). You could also try turning the receiver around so the crystal is further away from the rotating aluminum driveshaft. Also try mounting the receiver behind the servo instead of on top of it.

1 more thing-- from experience I wouldn't use the aluminum battery hold down with the battery moved back, If you hit somthing the batt might move forward to the front position and the aluminum hold down will take the shrink wrap right off and short the battery. I've seen it done, just letting u know, its not a pretty sight.

Ill try moving the receiver around a little more. The antenna is already pretty far off the chassis, the mount keeps it pretty high to me...

ill try putting the receiver back on the chassis again as well, but as mentioned in the original post, was glitching with the other receiver in that spot...so if i move it there again i hope it wont glitch again... :/

would it be more important to have the crystal or the antenna away from the driveshaft? If i put it back behind the servo, its one or the other. If i keep it on top, i can mount it long ways and have both antenna and crystal away from the shaft...
Old 12-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try is find someone with a spektrum radio setup and stick thier receiver in your car. If the glitching stops then you know it has to be either the radio or the receiver
Old 12-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Bad servo, or bad ESC.....
Old 12-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ffejdat
Bad servo, or bad ESC.....
neither

but it looks to be lessening after some more experimenting. We'll see soon enough.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

well did you fix the problem????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.