Wiki Posts
Search

Preffered Power Supply?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Preffered Power Supply?

What is the preffered power supply out there? What size is most common and what size is best? (how many amps?)
Old 10-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

on www.buyreliant.com you can get the psv-200 or psv-300 (which i use) for 45-55 dollars. they are 20a and 30a banna plug ready. Fats shipping too.

The 200 is fine but the 300 is like 5-10 dollars more for double the power
Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Normally, 20-30 amps is preferrable. Most chargers only need around 10-14 amps so you really only need enough to cover all items you'll be running simultaneously, or enough to start your biggest power item. In my case, it's the Hudy Automatic Tire Truer. I've noticed that some power supplies handle an initial spike of amp draw differently. I have a thread about the Hudy Automatic Tire Truer and power supplies here.The Hudy initially draws more than 32amps of power when it turns over the motor, then falls below 20 amps (I would guess somewhere in the 10 amp range).

The Alinco 330MV power supply is known as one of the best in the Ham radio hobby. It has the most features, adjustable voltage (5V - 15V), programmable pre-set voltage function, noise cleaning, excellent metal construction, and it's bulletproof. It's safety features prevent sending more than 32amps. It will not start my Hudy because of this safety feature. The fan is off unless needed, then it's variable speed, very nice! Price is $140.

I have purchased many of the Pyramid PSV200 (20 amp) and PSV300's (30 amp). Of the two, I actually like the PSV200 better because the fan only comes on when needed, and the power button is a big pushbutton instead of a rocker switch. I've had 1 PSV300 arive DOA. The PSV200 will not start my Hudy properly. Price is $55-$65.

The Radio Shack power supplies look very similar to the Pyramid power supplies, and have similar features, but cost more.

The most popular "gotta have it" power supply in our RC world, is the Rivergate Bulldogs. IOTA is a lesser known name in the RC world, but it's actually the parent company of Rivergate. (Rigergate is simply a rebadged IOTA.) These are known as the workhorse powersupplies. Excellent electronic quality. Option to switch it from 13.8V to 14.2V using a phone plug jumper. Easy to mount this power supply on something. The fan is off unless needed, but Ive noticed even at idle (no load) the fan will turn on VERY slowly for a minute, then off for about 7 minutes). Kind of annoying since the super slow fan speed is not really moving any air. 30 amp price is $120 for the IOTA, $165 for the Rivergate. (Yes they are the same thing).

The recently batch of IOTA's and Rivergates have changed their exterior to a very bland (ugly in my opinion) looking exterior. Looks like a hunk of dull sheetmetal bent into a box shape. They removed the heat sink fins on the 30 amp and 15 amp versions as well. They don't even have a power switch!

But you certainly can't knock the power of these power supplies. IOTA DLS-30M starts the Hudy correctly with this power supply.

Last edited by James35; 10-26-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default power supply

The common ones most used by racers are the Muchmore power master and the Compertition electronics...

THe much more is very small and light weight, and the CE is not much bigger. Both good power supplies!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

How do you guys use more than one charger at a time with the above powers supplies? Do you make your own banana plug splitter? I would like to purchase a new power supply and run 2 ICE chargers simultaneously. I have only seen one power supply that has two separate outputs.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SRBMOJO
How do you guys use more than one charger at a time with the above powers supplies? Do you make your own banana plug splitter? I would like to purchase a new power supply and run 2 ICE chargers simultaneously. I have only seen one power supply that has two separate outputs.

The CE supply has only one sets of plugs, the MM has 2. Both supplies can handle a decent size pit hooked up to them and not have any issues. If you need to run more than 2 items, several companies make power distribution blocks with banana connectors. If using a block, run your higher current items (charger, motor master) from a unswitched spot on the block.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Easy. I use these banana plugs. Notice the pass through.
Another solution is a distribution panel.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I run a Competition Elelctronics 30 amp power supply. Usually the minimum is around 15 amp depending on the driver.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Integy 6 Channel PowerStrip

for $22 you can't really beat it, I have one and works great. You can also get ones from MuchMore as well.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Eric, you can't link to Tower's images. They are protected. (I included the Integy distribution panel in my previous post).
Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bought a rivergate 30 amp over 10 years ago and it's well worth the $135 i paid for it. I left my dome light on my car overnight and killed the battery--hooked up the rivergate for 20 minutes with jumper cables and I was off to the races.

I have powered 4 chargers (5 amp charge rate) on the rivergate 30 amp and it handles it just fine.

Before the rivergate, I must have went through 2 or 3 pyramid POS.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

A power supply is to do one thing and power you chargers and such, so why does it need to look good? You can't beat a Rivergate 30A.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 AM
Tech Adept

intergy 36amp power supply, it powers my hudy tire turer from a genarator with no problem.$180 price is a lil high but worth it
Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i have a ce 23amp and its great i run two orion chargers a dpd and a ton of other stuff and it has never failed me and at 110 u cant beat that
Old 11-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

i have a ACDC charger which has a built in power supply capable only up to 6 amps but can accommodate external DC supply source. i have noticed it tends false peak with the built-in supply. is this due to its lower ampere capacity?
do you think getting a higher amp external power supply will solve my false peak problems?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.