Wiki Posts
Search

Team Checkpoint TC1030 Racing Charger

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Charger wires

Longer charging wires would have been great. I guess it is a minor oversight.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:06 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by svt-racer
Longer charging wires would have been great. I guess it is a minor oversight.
Takes about 5 minutes or less to make longer leads. Yes longer would be nice but at least it is a very simple fix. (I like my leads shorter but others like longer). If that is about the only problem then I can live with that.

My ICE chargers have been great but missing a few little things but this version from CheckPoint addressed all my issues and then some and at the price I just don't think you can find a better all around charger.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing

-10A max charging rate instead of 8A
0.1 - 8.0A adjustable charge current
(1C max. for Li-Ion/Li-Po)

-20A and 30A pulse discharge feature
0.1 - 10.0A adjustable discharge current
0.1 - 1.1V adjustable discharge cutoff voltage for NiCd and NiMH
2.5 - 3.7V adjustable discharge cutoff voltage for Li-Ion/Li-Po

-up to 20A constant motor break-in (instead of up to 10A)
Motor break-in feature: output adjustable from 1.0-8.0V, 1-120 minutes, and 10A constant (30A surge) for break-in of motors or operating commutation lathes

-4 step break-in for motors
nope..

-lower peak sensitivity
Adjustable peak sensitivity (0-25mV) but its either 0 or starting 3mvpc.

-backlight
nope

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of these features were on the ICE. Seems like a nice upgrade.
cant knock it.. the ice is great.. seems like this cp charger is a "nice" upgrade to the ice...

as borat would say

"VERY NICE".
Old 06-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Thumbs up

This is the best charger I've ever used. I highly recommend it if you're serious on battery charging.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

-20A and 30A pulse discharge feature
0.1 - 10.0A adjustable discharge current
0.1 - 1.1V adjustable discharge cutoff voltage for NiCd and NiMH
2.5 - 3.7V adjustable discharge cutoff voltage for Li-Ion/Li-Po

So you can pulse dump a lipo safly thats great! Was the 10amp dump on the ICE Able to dump lipo as well???
Old 06-08-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

But you don't need to ever dump a LiPo. They are not the same cell technology as NiMh and don't have a memory. No need to even consider discharging one outside of your car.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I got mine. Seems like a very capable charger.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
But you don't need to ever dump a LiPo. They are not the same cell technology as NiMh and don't have a memory. No need to even consider discharging one outside of your car.
yes i know u dont need to, but if you want to you can, if nothing more then to cycle it or confirm its run time, amd get average voltage.... since its pulse its going to be a soft discharge anyway...

If they can handle 4t mod motors they can handle 20/30amp pulse discharge...
Old 06-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
yes i know u dont need to, but if you want to you can, if nothing more then to cycle it or confirm its run time, amd get average voltage.... since its pulse its going to be a soft discharge anyway...

If they can handle 4t mod motors they can handle 20/30amp pulse discharge...
Yup, the only time I have discharged my Lipo's so far was when I wanted to start 3 different packs from the same voltage before charge so I could compare their capacities.
I was using a Multiplex LN-5014 charger that had a pre-set 3.0V/cell cutoff, and I charged them right after they were done discharging. Once the packs reach 6.9V or so, the voltage starts dropping really fast...it was probably less than 10 seconds before it dropped all the way down to the cutoff at 6.0V!
Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Yup, the only time I have discharged my Lipo's so far was when I wanted to start 3 different packs from the same voltage before charge so I could compare their capacities.
I was using a Multiplex LN-5014 charger that had a pre-set 3.0V/cell cutoff, and I charged them right after they were done discharging. Once the packs reach 6.9V or so, the voltage starts dropping really fast...it was probably less than 10 seconds before it dropped all the way down to the cutoff at 6.0V!

Kool. So i understand that all lipos are equal and you dont need to match them....

But lets say you have 4 carbon 3200s. Have you ever charged them right up and then hit them on the discharger to get there average runtime and voltage so that you could sort you 4 race packs into best to worst? Much like i do now with my 6 nihm packs aka cycling. From time to time i will cycle them just to see who's who.

My reasoning for asking is i just want to be sure that this charger will do that. I know that lipo are not nihm, but i do know that its impossible to say that 10 lipo packs will run the same voltage and capacity. So if was to get this charger i want to know for sure that i could do this. From looking at check points site it will only cycle nihm wich is fine, but i can get by with simple discharge info
Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Kool. So i understand that all lipos are equal and you dont need to match them....

But lets say you have 4 carbon 3200s. Have you ever charged them right up and then hit them on the discharger to get there average runtime and voltage so that you could sort you 4 race packs into best to worst? Much like i do now with my 6 nihm packs aka cycling. From time to time i will cycle them just to see who's who.

My reasoning for asking is i just want to be sure that this charger will do that. I know that lipo are not nihm, but i do know that its impossible to say that 10 lipo packs will run the same voltage and capacity. So if was to get this charger i want to know for sure that i could do this. From looking at check points site it will only cycle nihm wich is fine, but i can get by with simple discharge info
Hmmm, I haven't played with the discharge on the TC1030 yet...I'll try it the next chance I get and see if it reports data for Lipo.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hmmm, I haven't played with the discharge on the TC1030 yet...I'll try it the next chance I get and see if it reports data for Lipo.
hi nexus do you have the optional temp sensor for this charger? also, if i may ask, is it possible to use the much more battery heatsink2 with this charger? (like the muchmore charger?) thanks.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

My reasoning for asking is i just want to be sure that this charger will do that. I know that lipo are not nihm, but i do know that its impossible to say that 10 lipo packs will run the same voltage and capacity. So if was to get this charger i want to know for sure that i could do this.

I know you're stuck on NiMh care techniques, but all of the Orion reps have stated a couple of times in the LiPo threads that they ARE all the same. Any differences between packs are nominal, at best. They all have 8.4v when charged (give or take), and the capacity is WAY more than you need in a race.

I don't know if this charger will safely discharge a LiPo pack, because I never looked. You don't need to do it with LiPos, so it wasn't a feature I would ever have looked for. It does nicely cycle NiMh packs, though, as I have already done all of my remaining regular battery packs.

And the fact that you DON'T need 10 packs is important—more like one. So matching ONE pack to itself is done with it's own balancing port—which Orion has also said doesn't need to be done often, if at all. Capacity is great if you plan on taking it down to the voltage cutoff in one race, but again, you don't need to because the discharge rate is so flat on these packs.

I ran all day yesterday with two Platinum packs and one charger. Four straight practice sessions on one pack, consecutively. Pulled the car off, changed car settings and tires, and changed the pack to a charged one. Dropped the first one on the charger and got 4 more test sessions on the second pack. They both performed identically, and allowed literally back-to-back multiple runs with ZERO maintenance.

Again, get ALL of the things you think you know about regular battery maintenance out of your head. They DO NOT APPLY to LiPo battery packs. They are absolutely not the same things. You don't need dischargers, equalizers or any things you needed for NiMh batteries. THAT'S WHY EVERYONE LOVES THEM SO MUCH! The best things about brushless systems and LiPo batteries is that you literally do not need to think about them at all.

I guess if people are hellbent on futzing and preening over their battery packs and motors, then they should keep their brushed and NIMh packs.

BTW, to keep this thread on topic, I used the Checkpoint charger yesterday on both Platinum packs and it performs flawlessly. I highly recommend this charger for anyone looking to charge and maintain both NiMh and LiPo packs. VERY nice setup.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

just got my Checkpoint charger Thursday from my LHS! What a deal @ $185!
Old 06-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmmer701
hi nexus do you have the optional temp sensor for this charger? also, if i may ask, is it possible to use the much more battery heatsink2 with this charger? (like the muchmore charger?) thanks.
Yes, it is # TCPP9101. The TC1030 doesn't feature a temp-controlled 12V output pin like the Cell Master, but you can hook up the fans from the battery heatsink 2 directly to your power supply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.