Search
Like Tree45Likes

Rotor Master

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Rotor Master

I've decided to make a stand alone thread for this...

Youtube video with instructions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xb_N9yZejc&t=37s
I have been working on my own design for a gauss meter for spec racing rotors. I say spec because it can only measure up to about 1850 gauss. Well, I can make one that will measure up to 4000, but it is a bit more sensitive around zero.

This is based on the ATmega 328p mcu that the Arduino Uno uses. I also am using an external 12 bit adc to get better resolution for the readings, since the arduino has a 10 bit adc. I designed the schematic and the pcb using KiCad, the case is 3d printed and designed in Fusion 360. I am using an arduino sketch for the programming. In theory, someone handy in soldering surface mount components could build one of these based of my designs, which is completely fine.

It works pretty much like the other units on the market. Place the rotor on the holder and spin it to get your readings. I am using 3 sensors to get readings, the middle sensor is the sensor that you should record. The first and the third sensor are there for you to center the rotor. Shim the end of the rotor until you get the 1st sensor and 3rd sensor close in readings at the max value, this will get the middle sensor in the middle of the rotor.

The Rotor Master can be powered off a 2s or 3s lipo or 12v DC power supply. It comes with an XT60 connector on it as a hardware reverse polarity protection. There is no internal circuitry for reverse polarity protection. I probably will add this in the future. Each unit is assembled by hand (mine, lol). I use an accurate bench top dmm to measure each sensor to get the most accurate build that I can. I then calibrate it to a Trinity certified rotor readings.

For anyone who wants to make one themselves, I will provide the schematics, pcb designs, bom, stl, and sketch files needed to make one. I'll get them all into a github repository if there is any interest in it. But making one yourself will require an accurate dmm, an arduino Uno to burn the bootloader on to the bare 328p mcu and then to program it via the rx/tx pins that are broke out.

github repo: https://github.com/trilerian/Rotor-Master

Anyway, here are some pics of the schematic, and pcb design. And then the progress of designing. Enjoy!

Schematic

PCB

Proof of concept

Top view of POF

I ordered 20 PCBs!

Getting ready to build!

All the smb stuff soldered on.

And then the through hole components

The finished product!
PDR likes this.

Last edited by trilerian; 08-27-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Fits perfectly in my traveling case

Padded traveling case
Too tired to test this late. Will play with it tomorrow. Thanks for the quick shipping 👌🏾.
trilerian likes this.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by STLNLST

Fits perfectly in my traveling case

Padded traveling case
Too tired to test this late. Will play with it tomorrow. Thanks for the quick shipping 👌🏾.
I like the case! I have been looking for an Eva case to use.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trilerian
I like the case! I have been looking for an Eva case to use.
i got the case off Amazon after trying to duplicate the exact case the Hobbywing Tunalyser comes with. I couldn’t find that exact case but stumbled across this one.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

VERY cool... bummed that stock racing is dead in my area so no longer a need to test my rotors anymore but I can see how this is a great way to check for fade. If stock ever makes a comeback I will certainly build one for sure, great concept!
Old 08-20-2023, 11:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

this is what I like about the hobby....not necessarily winning races, but the fun stuff relating to improving the equipment. I'm too old to be competitive, so I can have a good time building things
STLNLST, trilerian and Bsthetech like this.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mediumquick
this is what I like about the hobby....not necessarily winning races, but the fun stuff relating to improving the equipment. I'm too old to be competitive, so I can have a good time building things
this is why I had to support him as he is sharing the info for others to build their own and not just buy from him exclusively. Where else do you see this in our hobby?

trilerian, TOM MAR and gigaplex like this.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

Here’s the Amazon link to the case pictyfor anyone that purchases/builds one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QRFX94D...p_mob_ap_share
trilerian likes this.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Damn, I just bought the Fantom device.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Here is the link to my github repository.
It has:
Bill of Materials
Gerber Files for the PCB - these will work for JLCPCB I don't know about any other manufacturers
STL for the case
Sketch for the programming

https://github.com/trilerian/Rotor-Master

This project would cost somebody appx $165 after taxes and shipping, plus you would need to print the case. But that price is if you need to buy an Arduino Uno, breadboard, and stuff for that.
You will still need a digital multi meter. You would have some extra parts as some of the items are bought in multiples. If you price everything out per part and total it after tax and shipping it is about $35 per unit.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bsthetech
Damn, I just bought the Fantom device.
The Fantom is still a great unit!
Old 08-20-2023, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is really cool. I'd build one but I dont want to buy whatever you need to flash stuff, unless its super cheap. Though if you flashed it I'd buy it and the PCB and assemble it myself.

Also I'd say you need to be able to measure rotors that get up to about 2200-2500 gauss, as stock is definitly headed there. I think some of the strongest 13mm mod rotors can get to 2000 if not 2200.

But you have a stack of PCBs, are you not planning on selling them at least?
Old 08-20-2023, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Here are some pics of my unit compared to a Fantom and Magnalyzer.

Using A Trinity certified rotor measured from Trinity at:
1718/-1727

Old 08-20-2023, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Alexv2024
This is really cool. I'd build one but I dont want to buy whatever you need to flash stuff, unless its super cheap. Though if you flashed it I'd buy it and the PCB and assemble it myself.

Also I'd say you need to be able to measure rotors that get up to about 2200-2500 gauss, as stock is definitly headed there. I think some of the strongest 13mm mod rotors can get to 2000 if not 2200.

Yes, I am going to sell these as well. I just made a for sale thread in the for sale forum. I don't really have a website for my stuff as of yet, so it is just here that I am listing them. On request I can make one that will measure up to 4000 gauss. however none of the current products on the market can measure over 1950 at the moment, so that is why I went with the sensors I did. I do have one build for me that will measure 4000 though.

As to a kit so to speak, maybe. I can burn the bootloader onto the mcu and put the sketch on it, but it really needs to be fine tuned after all the components are on the board. There are a lot of variables in my sketch that you change based on the quiescent output voltage of the sensors, the output of the 5v regulator, the "zero" output of the adc, and finally the multiplier to get your final gauss numbers.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alexv2024

What stock rotors get that high? Highest I've heard of is ~1850, I've only seen mod rotors go higher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.