20mm High 2S LiPos - what's out there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20mm High 2S LiPos - what's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default 20mm High 2S LiPos - what's out there?

I'm currently using the Nosram Ultra LCG 5500 pack, I think it's a great format and just so happens to fit perfectly on my chassis. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any alternative brands that make a battery in this size?
Old 06-29-2018, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Reedy Zapper SG 3600 and 4000 mah are 18.5mm high
Old 06-29-2018, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Scott R
Reedy Zapper SG 3600 and 4000 mah are 18.5mm high
Yeah there's lots of low cap slimline shorty packs around, I'm looking for full length (139mm l x 47mm w x 20mm h) packs.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Trackstar makes some, however they are 23mm.

Does something like 3 extra mm make that much of a difference?
Old 06-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
Trackstar makes some, however they are 23mm.

Does something like 3 extra mm make that much of a difference?
23mm is the standard LCG battery height I think, so there's a good range of batteries available. However the extra 3mm really does make quite a bit of difference to the C.G. (probably more so than the new 'ultra short' shocks do Vs standard shocks)

So far I have only seen the nosram/LRP ultra LCG packs, which offer decent performance but I'm wondering if they're as powerful as some other brands.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LzREngineering
23mm is the standard LCG battery height I think, so there's a good range of batteries available. However the extra 3mm really does make quite a bit of difference to the C.G. (probably more so than the new 'ultra short' shocks do Vs standard shocks)

So far I have only seen the nosram/LRP ultra LCG packs, which offer decent performance but I'm wondering if they're as powerful as some other brands.
I'd like to see those calculations, because I would bet otherwise. Why don't you chop those offroad looking shock towers off your car and see for yourself? That 3mm difference in pack height is much closer to the center of gravity than the weight of the shocks and shock tower, which means that weight has a much larger impact on performance. Why do you think short shocks were a thing way before lcg packs were a thing?
Old 06-30-2018, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by urnotevenwrg2
I'd like to see those calculations, because I would bet otherwise. Why don't you chop those offroad looking shock towers off your car and see for yourself? That 3mm difference in pack height is much closer to the center of gravity than the weight of the shocks and shock tower, which means that weight has a much larger impact on performance. Why do you think short shocks were a thing way before lcg packs were a thing?
I've measured the cg on my very old TC (long shocks, high upper deck etc) with the ulcg battery as 27mm - as good or better than most modern cars. That is with about 50g ballast on the chassis Centreline to make up the weight due to the ulcg battery being lighter.

I thought LCG packs have been around for a few years now? The ultra short shocks only became popular last year.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:10 PM
Suspended

I've measured the cg on my very old TC (long shocks, high upper deck etc) with the ulcg battery as 27mm - as good or better than most modern cars. That is with about 50g ballast on the chassis Centreline to make up the weight due to the ulcg battery being lighter.

I thought LCG packs have been around for a few years now? The ultra short shocks only became popular last year.
You said the difference between a 20mm thick pack and a 23mm thick pack is more than the difference between short shocks and regular shocks. I doubt that.

Xray had short shocks in 2013.

​​​​​
Old 07-01-2018, 03:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by urnotevenwrg2
You said the difference between a 20mm thick pack and a 23mm thick pack is more than the difference between short shocks and regular shocks. I doubt that.

Xray had short shocks in 2013.

​​​​​
Either way, the battery height will make a significant difference to the cg. But this is going a bit off topic, I'm just looking for ULCG battery choices. I guess the 20mm high packs aren't yet popular enough for the smaller battery builders to justify having them in their product range?
Old 07-01-2018, 07:35 AM
Suspended

Either way, the battery height will make a significant difference to the cg. But this is going a bit off topic, I'm just looking for ULCG battery choices. I guess the 20mm high packs aren't yet popular enough for the smaller battery builders to justify having them in their product range?
The difference in the two packs would change your cg .25mm.
​​​​​​
​​​​
​​​

Last edited by urnotevenwrg2; 07-01-2018 at 06:41 PM.