Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Recommendations for someone who's been gone from the hobby for 25 years... >

Recommendations for someone who's been gone from the hobby for 25 years...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for someone who's been gone from the hobby for 25 years...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Recommendations for someone who's been gone from the hobby for 25 years...

Hey all,

This is my first post here and I'm looking for some recommendations to help my young nephew get into the hobby. The last time I drove an RC car was in the early 90's before the internet was available to most people (man I'm getting old)! Back then, companies like Novak, Reedy, Astroflight, Team Associated, and Team Losi were the go-to's for components. Based on recent searches, it looks like only a few of these companies are still around - too bad.

Anywho, I have an old Team Associated RC10 team car that I'm fixing up for my nephew. My batteries and charger are shot and I'll need to get those going before I know whether my speed controller (Novak Racer), motors (Kinwald models) are still functional. What would you recommend for mid-quality chargers and battery technology these days? My battery bay/holder is sized to hold 6 cells (not sure if the holders are still the same sized as they used to be). Any recommendations recommendations from veterans would be especially helpful to help translate new terminology.

Thanks for the help!

-T

P.s. anyone here used to race at the old super-market track in Garden Grove, CA? I remember it being a pretty big scene and used to see the pros there often - fun times!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I like the Hitec RDX1 Pro as a mid range charger.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hitec-r...c44245/p535970

SMC make some cheap decent lipo batteries.

Your current ESC wasn’t designed for lipo batteries though, especially as it is crucial not to run down the lipo battery too far. Modern escs have a low voltage cut off to protect battieris, so you might be better to get a cheap replacement for it to test the car out, or otherwise to buy a cheap nimh pack to test the car and then upgrade it later. The lipo batteries won’t be quite the same size either, so it might be worth checking the fit at your hobby shop.

A 2S (or 2 cells in series) battery will be the closest in voltage to your 6 cell packs, but they do charge higher up to 8.4V. Modern 2wd buggies run ‘shorty’ lipo packs that fit sideways across the chassis, so if you get a battery with a. View to later upgrading to a new buggy this could be a good way to go. These packs sacrifice runtime for lighter weight and more compact batteries but can still offer 4600+ mAh.

Motors have come a long way too, the new brushless motors are much more efficient and powerful and when combined with lipo batteries can get way better run times.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Yes, I remember that track. That may have been the first indoor track in SoCal. I frequented RCH (Costa Mesa), So Cal raceway (Fountain Valley) and another track in Santa Fe Springs, but raced all the others all over So Cal.
I also just got back into the hobby with my son. The new LiPos and brushless motors are what we could only dream of back then. I’d suggest looking at a more modern used car that still has parts available. You can install a modern ESC, motor and battery in the RC10 you have. I’d suggest getting a 17.5 turn motor which is considered a “stock” motor for 2wd buggies. It is about as fast as and old 14 turn brushed motor though. They make LiPos that will fit the current battery cups in your car, but I’d suggest getting a 2s (2 cell) “shorty” pack and repositioning the battery cup to fit. These are the most common size batteries used in the modern cars so when you upgrade to a newer car the batteries and electronics will drop right in.
Good luck.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My advice is to think through very clearly what you want to do with the car. If you are wanting him to get into racing, then go to the track you will race at and have him drive your old car around on a practice day and see if he likes it. Maybe go on a race day and just have him watch. There is a lot of downtime during a racing program, and many kids have a hard time with that.

If it seems like the whole thing is his cup of tea, immediately ditch the old car, and get him something to run in whatever the local track uses for their kids class (or novice class). If they have a 2wd buggy class, start there, otherwise it is usually 2wd short course. As another poster mentioned, the old ESC won't really work with lipo batteries (you'll over discharge the batteries), and you'd be out of your mind to buy anything other than a brushless ESC for racing. So, at a minimum, you are looking at batteries, charger, ESC, and motor. At that point, you can just get an RTR short course truck and get on with it.

I've seen this play at out several times over the years where folks try to have kids run old stuff, and they end up spending more money making the old car work than it would have taken to just buy something newer up front. Kids get discouraged quickly when they keep DNF'ing races because the car breaks. The modern cars are light years ahead of the old cars from a durability standpoint.

If the nephew is relatively young, and you want to do something a little more casual, I highly recommend rock crawlers. My son and I have been hiking with them since he turned 3, and we both enjoy it (he's 9 now). It gives you a reason to get out and hike and it gives the child something entertaining to do while hiking. Something like an axial scx-10 is a pretty safe bet. Buy a pair if those RTR and hit the trails. I don't have a wraith, but something like a rock racer might give more general "playability" than a crawler. Whatever you get, get a pair of the exact same thing, so you are evenly matched and can "compete" however that ends up looking.

One thing that hasn't changed since the 90's is no matter what you do, you are going to blow a bunch of money on the hobby. Just embrace it and enjoy it. The best way to limit spending is to have a laser focus on what exactly you want to do in the hobby and buy the best stuff you can afford to do exactly those things. Also, don't get to worked up about RTR's versus kits. Especially for something a younger driver is going to operate, the RTR's are designed to be quite durable, have good spare parts, and offer strong value for money in the electronics.

Have fun!
Old 06-26-2018, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

as for chargers and batteries theres a few way you can go. 2 cell lipo .. 2 cell life will take more abuse than lipo. but voltage is less so cars top end will be less.Id just go with a B6 .. many are ac/dc.. or just dc.Is put new cut brushes in motors and check and dress coms. along with replace brush springs.here a site might help you on modern terms nd whats what with rc now.. as you said many older makers are gone.its all depends on how much money you want to invest in this hobby.. less or more.Electric RC info, how-tos and such - TJinTech
Old 07-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by metalmonrgel
I have an old Team Associated RC10 team car
What's your budget for the new stuff? If you have a vintage RC10 team car in decent to good condition you can sell it for a pretty penny and get something a bit more modern for him and most importantly something that he can find parts for when he breaks it..

I miss my old RC10T