• 1 Post By Darkgenerals
  • 1 Post By gigaplex

Reedy Zapper 7.6v Lipo problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Reedy Zapper 7.6v Lipo problem

I have a Reedy Zapper 4800 7.6v lipo. I've had it in storage charge, but now when I try to charge it, my charger screen says "connection error, check main port". My connections are correct, I've never had a problem in the past charging that battery, and my other batteries charge just fine. Anyone know what the problem may be?
Thanks
Old 10-29-2017, 07:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Check each cell individually with a multi meter. You may have a bad cell.
rgrg2 likes this.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Default Battery

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
Check each cell individually with a multi meter. You may have a bad cell.
Well I hooked it up to the multi meter on my charger. One cell shows 2.82, the other cell 0.00.

I guess that battery is done
Old 10-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Not bashing the reedy brand or anything... but they have been known to have reliability issues. Yes they have great batteries. Yes they perform. But like all manufacturers, bad ones slip through. Unfortunately reedy has had more than few slip through.
rgrg2 likes this.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Default Battery

I just got it in January and have hardly used it. I had it in storage charge and when I tried charging it, it wouldn't charge. That's $89 down the tube ��
I can send it in and supposedly get another at 50% off, but is it worth spending another $45? Idk. I do know I'm out $89
Old 10-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

HV batteries are newer than the standard 7.4v batteries. And unfortunately they have a few bugs to work out. As with any high performance product it has a basic brake light warranty. Meaning it’s warrantied for craftsman ship and acceptable performance out of the package. And after using it, even if properly used, it’s pretty much gonna have very little warranty. If they have offered a new pack at 50% off that’s more than to be expected by the consumer. Because after all you did purchase a high performance product, and I assume from what you said previously it did indeed function when you used it for the first time.

Yes this sucks. But hey at least they are willing to help resolve this issue for you by offering a discounted rate. Because they have no idea how it was treated and have to assume risks for the masses, not each individual. Plenty of people have tried to get over on manufacturers and distribution networks just to get free stuff. And I am in no way saying you are. But from the majority standpoint of the company they have to assume this.
rgrg2 likes this.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rgrg2
I just got it in January and have hardly used it. I had it in storage charge and when I tried charging it, it wouldn't charge. That's $89 down the tube ��
I can send it in and supposedly get another at 50% off, but is it worth spending another $45? Idk. I do know I'm out $89
You really should be cycling the batteries periodically, maybe every month or so, when storing unused batteries for extended periods to reduce the chances of this happening.
rgrg2 likes this.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jwilliams5
HV batteries are newer than the standard 7.4v batteries. And unfortunately they have a few bugs to work out. As with any high performance product it has a basic brake light warranty. Meaning it’s warrantied for craftsman ship and acceptable performance out of the package. And after using it, even if properly used, it’s pretty much gonna have very little warranty. If they have offered a new pack at 50% off that’s more than to be expected by the consumer. Because after all you did purchase a high performance product, and I assume from what you said previously it did indeed function when you used it for the first time.

Yes this sucks. But hey at least they are willing to help resolve this issue for you by offering a discounted rate. Because they have no idea how it was treated and have to assume risks for the masses, not each individual. Plenty of people have tried to get over on manufacturers and distribution networks just to get free stuff. And I am in no way saying you are. But from the majority standpoint of the company they have to assume this.
I agree, it is cool for them to offer 50% off, and you're right, they're trusting it was used and charged correctly when I used it. If it was my fault, I wouldn't even worry about it, so I appreciate their offer, no complaints about it. I know things like this happen, obviously sucks to have it happen. I'll probably send it in and get the new battery.

Originally Posted by gigaplex
You really should be cycling the batteries periodically, maybe every month or so, when storing unused batteries for extended periods to reduce the chances of this happening.
It had been in storage charge for a few weeks, just wasn't getting to the track so didn't cycle it. I guess I could cycle it and then storage charge after the next time I have to storage charge my batteries.
Would I be able to charge it and then storage charge right after, or discharge it, or use it, then storage charge?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2017, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

It had been in storage charge for a few weeks, just wasn't getting to the track so didn't cycle it. I guess I could cycle it and then storage charge after the next time I have to storage charge my batteries.
Would I be able to charge it and then storage charge right after, or discharge it, or use it, then storage charge?
Thanks!
All you really need to do is run it through storage charge again just in case the voltage has sagged a little bit, but it's probably best to just charge it then storage mode it. You shouldn't need to do anything elaborate.
rgrg2 likes this.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Default Battery

Any chance a strong charger, like an Icharger, would bring the cell back, or is it gone?
Old 10-29-2017, 08:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Please don't ship the battery unless given a special box. It's illegal and unsafe to ship a damaged battery. The special box is designed to take a Lipo fire just in case.
rgrg2 likes this.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Any chance a strong charger, like an Icharger, would bring the cell back, or is it gone?
No respectable lipo charger would attempt to charge it in that state. Consider it gone.

Some people do try to revive them by applying some voltage to the cell to "wake it up", and then a lipo charger will generally be able to charge it. But if the cell actually is damaged, this is very dangerous.
rgrg2 likes this.