Wiki Posts
Search

Protek or ev-peak sd1experance or feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Protek or ev-peak sd1experance or feedback

I am looking for someone with some experience with them . I can get one for a good price but I am wondering if it will still leave me wanting a icharger duo setup . I race stock class mostly (17.5 buggy and 13.5 4wd buggy) and I am most interested in the discharge side of the charger works . It says it will discharge at 30a but do you need something else to utilize the 30a discharge(discharge bank or deep cycle battery , etc..) . I can get this charger for a lot less than a 406 duo and a discharge bank , Currently using a thundepower and power supply that will charge at 20a mostly looking into a new charger because of the discharge features and my thunder power is starting to act a little funny sometimes? Any feedback on sd1 charger is appreciated thanks
Old 10-19-2017, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Those performance numbers are pretty weak for that price point.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer56556
I am looking for someone with some experience with them . I can get one for a good price but I am wondering if it will still leave me wanting a icharger duo setup . I race stock class mostly (17.5 buggy and 13.5 4wd buggy) and I am most interested in the discharge side of the charger works . It says it will discharge at 30a but do you need something else to utilize the 30a discharge(discharge bank or deep cycle battery , etc..) . I can get this charger for a lot less than a 406 duo and a discharge bank , Currently using a thundepower and power supply that will charge at 20a mostly looking into a new charger because of the discharge features and my thunder power is starting to act a little funny sometimes? Any feedback on sd1 charger is appreciated thanks
I can tell you that it does not discharge at 30 amps. I've mentioned it to them to remove this spec but it appears it hasn't be done yet. To do 30amp "discharge" you have to charge another battery with the one being discharged which is kinda hokey.

for all out stock chargers the icharger is tough to beat. But to be honest, I run the 625 Duo Touch and have had zero issues keeping up with the Jone's as they say.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use two chargers and one power source. I have the 206 charger that goes to 20 amps, and the HK 250 that does 10 amps. I also use a converted Hewlett Packard 750 computer power supply that is rated at 62.5 amps. It takes 10 minutes to convert one to rc. All three items are very small. The first time I used this system I was surprised at how fast my batteries charged. I used to buy 2 batteries for each car because the charger before was so slow, Peak 620. Now I only get one battery per car. These things charge fast.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
I can tell you that it does not discharge at 30 amps. I've mentioned it to them to remove this spec but it appears it hasn't be done yet. To do 30amp "discharge" you have to charge another battery with the one being discharged which is kinda hokey.

for all out stock chargers the icharger is tough to beat. But to be honest, I run the 625 Duo Touch and have had zero issues keeping up with the Jone's as they say.
To be honest I have just wanted to replace the charger I have because it has given me a few issues and would rather just use it as a spare . I’m kinda sold on the I charger but then I ask myself why do I really need that so really if I can get the charger cheap and it works well then maybe I should just go for it or do I really need a icharger ?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racer56556
To be honest I have just wanted to replace the charger I have because it has given me a few issues and would rather just use it as a spare . I’m kinda sold on the I charger but then I ask myself why do I really need that so really if I can get the charger cheap and it works well then maybe I should just go for it or do I really need a icharger ?
If you're thinking about getting a iCharger, just get an iCharger. After going through a number of different chargers (not because they were broken but just because I was looking for more) settled on a iCharger now and there's nothing more I can ask for from a charger now.