R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum

Old 06-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Back to the 80's - racing outdoors, semi-groomed course

So my indoor club shut down last weekend, only game in town is outside (for at least the summer). To that end, I'm trying to decide what changes, if any, I should make to my current car or if should switch chassis etc.

The Players
RB 6.6A - currently set up mid, 3-gear stand-up
B5 - same setup
RB6.6 B - not yet arrived

First option is to run my B5 as is. It's an old rear-motor car that features lots of plastic and not a lot of aluminum. All I would need is change of rubber. Seems like this car was pretty much made for outside running.

2nd option is to setup the coming-soon RB6.6 as a rear-motor outdoor car. I think a chassis protector would go a long way to minimizing the damage to the underbelly and I much prefer the Kyosho to the B5. This is probably my first choice.

3rd option - same as number 2, just give the new-to-me car over to my son and run my own RB6.6 as is.

About rubber - track is hard and loose and very dusty. It is not groomed regularly and does feature the occasional rock or two. Temps will get to 90+ over the summer. Pro-line has a M2 compound for those conditions, so that's what I'd like to go with. For tread patterns, I'm thinking something similar to pin cushions in the rear and old-school ribs up front.

Thoughts?

Last edited by loaba; 06-12-2017 at 05:07 PM.
loaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #2

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If it really is that loose, the RM B5 will actually be the way to go. Plastic + RM = the most grip possible in that situation plus you can beat up the cheap car and save the other one for the return of indoor after summer.

For tires, you still need grip and you'll have to pay for that grip with wear. I don't think PL makes any 1/10th tires for race applications in the M2 compound anymore as it is just about from the 80's and you don't want to go back there regardless of ambient temp. Temp is a bigger issue with 1/8 cars where they are trying to get alot more minutes per race run than you are with a 1/10th car. PL's newer X2 holeshots might be an option but I've never tried them as it's been a couple years since I've ran outdoor loose dirt but even on a 90 degree day, AKA's Impact in Super Soft on open cell foam was the grippiest option for rear buggy tires. Use those with AKA's three rib fronts or PL's M3 holeshot fronts if you need a little more steering.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info, Mark. It did kind of look like the Pl M2 compound was only available in SC, so I'll look into the X2 Holeshots for sure.

I'll take your advice and revitalize the B5, let my son drive that over the summer. I think he'll really enjoy it. I'll take the second RB6.6 and just expect it to not perform as well.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Got the new-to-me RB6 on Thursday and it's now setup as a rear-motor, outdoor, car. Removed all the bling that it came with returned it to nearly-stock state. Even with the lowly Turnigy rig installed, the thing feels nice to drive. Very excited to get it out in the dirt.