Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Track rules question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 09:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Track rules question

My question, is it a good idea to limit ride height and a min shock travel on our spec classes? We have a carpet oval and we have two classes that run slashes. I dont want to impose rules that are not consistent with other tracks but a few guys think it will turn our sct into pan cars. Any input would be appreciated. Thx
Old 01-26-2017, 11:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Minimum ride height rules are fairly common at carpet tracks regardless of what is bring raced - don't want the carpet to get snagged. As far as any other rules go, for oval, it's not really a nationally formatted type of racing; do what suits your track and racers best.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MarkA
Minimum ride height rules are fairly common at carpet tracks regardless of what is bring raced - don't want the carpet to get snagged. As far as any other rules go, for oval, it's not really a nationally formatted type of racing; do what suits your track and racers best.
Thanks for the reply. We are running into another problem. Some of the guys are realizing the stock slash shocks are garbage. Originally we were not allowing any shock upgrades just spring changes. Well now they want to run the big bore shocks. I am afraid of this turning into a money game. Does it pay to allow this upgrade? We are dumping shock oil on the carpet from broken and leaking shocks. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by hoagie; 01-28-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Go to a mudboss style of rules. Limits what you can do to the cars. Allowed cut front springs, limiters and shock oil change that is it. If yor sticking with stock electronics that is fine but if you want to allow brushless. Just limit your motors and esc to Hobbywing and trackstar so a motor esc combo is under $100. Keeps guys for spending $300 on motor esc combo, that keeps every one else from thinking they need to go spend that to compete.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rather Race
Go to a mudboss style of rules. Limits what you can do to the cars. Allowed cut front springs, limiters and shock oil change that is it. If yor sticking with stock electronics that is fine but if you want to allow brushless. Just limit your motors and esc to Hobbywing and trackstar so a motor esc combo is under $100. Keeps guys for spending $300 on motor esc combo, that keeps every one else from thinking they need to go spend that to compete.
...but, but, but...I want to spend $150+ on the latest, greatest motor, so I can piss everyone else off.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoagie
Thanks for the reply. We are running into another problem. Some of the guys are realizing the stock slash shocks are garbage. Originally we were not allowing any shock upgrades just spring changes. Well now they want to run the big bore shocks. I am afraid of this turning into a money game. Does it pay to allow this upgrade? We are dumping shock oil on the carpet from broken and leaking shocks. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
We have that problem at one of my local turf off-road tracks - the Slashes there on practice days blow up shocks and then we have a layer of oil on the track come raceday. Allow them the alum shock caps but nothing else - most of the blown up shocks in question that we see have broke the caps straight off the body and that's how all the oil gets out quickly. If it's similar in your case, that's a relatively cheap fix.

You are otherwise headed down a slippery slope. A common rule that crept into the "box-stock" classes for SC OffRoad back when those were a thing was stock means stock except for "durability" upgrades. It killed those classes quickly. Too many grey area parts were allowed and many track owners didn't want to be a jerk by disallowing something made from unobtanium that, while it might have been technically more durable, also weighed half as much.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mooby64
...but, but, but...I want to spend $150+ on the latest, greatest motor, so I can piss everyone else off.
One of the mudboss guys at my local track runs a hcg chassis and the cheapest brushess motor/esc combo out there and basically kicks ass nonstop because of setup and driving skills.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:27 AM
Tech Rookie

I mostly like drug race and road what is you favorite ?
Old 02-21-2017, 04:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Stock Mudboss at our track is the biggest class now. We run the Salvas Mudboss Dirt rules for our stock class, but you can run the JACO2055LP tires, since we are a carpet track. We are getting 18 - 30+ cars each week. The Mod Class, Salvas Carpet rules only brings in 5 - 10 cars. I think keeping it stock creates great racing and puts the spotlight on setup and driving. Plus it keeps it on the cheap. Once you get into different shocks and allowing other parts, your costs are going to skyrocket. So what if the stock shocks are "junk" everyone has to run them...
Old 02-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Tech Initiate

So we have kept the stock shocks, allowed the aluminum caps and have a min ride height of 3/4 inch. I have found a set of shocks on ebay for 17 bucks so yea they are garbage but they are cheap garbage!!