Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 only Nitro vs Electric offroad racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 03:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/8 only Nitro vs Electric offroad racing

Hello Guys/Gals

first off i am not wanting a thread on which is better electric or nitro. Just which class is gonna provide me with most options to race. Will i find more nitro events or electric events.

I am wanting to get into racing weekend warrior style. But even just weekends i will have to travel to get to the tracks. I have called a lot of the tracks in my area and they all say go electric that nitro just doesnt bring in the people any more. Ill be honest this was a shock for me cause back when i was in the hobby (16 years ago) it was all nitro. I might add i live in IL so this area i am sure is different then other areas.

So my first question is as far as racing goes what tends to be more popular electric or nitro?

What tends to be the most popular classes to race in 1/8 scale?

Another thing that seems to stand out is the hobby shops and tracks i have called all have there opinions on brands which i figured but they say well you cant get parts for mugen or kyosho so stay away from them. Well with the internet i dont see this being a real issue. But maybe i am wrong.

I Have started leaning on getting a electric buggy and a nitro buggy. But im still not sure.

Anyway Thanks for your time and please any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Around here nitro is strong. I got into it last year because of one race the year before where I drove 7 hrs one way into Washington state to race. I drove ebuggy and 4x4 sc and I did a rough calculation and was racing (excluding practice) about 1 hr 10 mins. If I had a nitro it would have been like 2 hrs.

Nitro costs more $600 chassis, $600 motor, 2 servos, starter box and radio. You will need someone to hold your hand at first (tuning, etc) and you gotta find a pit guy which can be no easy feat sometimes.

Popularity? That is subjective. Depends on where u are. For instance, my already mentioned sc is in a storage bin and has been there for more than a year. Nobody runs it here.

I now run nitro and ebuggy on alternating club weekends and on big race days I run both.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by buster8787
Around here nitro is strong. I got into it last year because of one race the year before where I drove 7 hrs one way into Washington state to race. I drove ebuggy and 4x4 sc and I did a rough calculation and was racing (excluding practice) about 1 hr 10 mins. If I had a nitro it would have been like 2 hrs.

Nitro costs more $600 chassis, $600 motor, 2 servos, starter box and radio. You will need someone to hold your hand at first (tuning, etc) and you gotta find a pit guy which can be no easy feat sometimes.

Popularity? That is subjective. Depends on where u are. For instance, my already mentioned sc is in a storage bin and has been there for more than a year. Nobody runs it here.

I now run nitro and ebuggy on alternating club weekends and on big race days I run both.

Thanks for your response hopefully some more people will chime in and give there thoughts.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The big game changer in the past 16 years has been technology for the electric stuff. Back then it was mostly still brushed motors and NiMH batteries I believe. LiPo (Lithium Polymer) batteries and brushless motors in today's electric racers is completely different than it was then. Nitro still seems strong around here, but only for 1/8th buggy and truggy. For me, I went all electric because I just don't have the time to invest in nitro anymore. If you're a weekender like me, I'd seriously consider the electric route and probably look at the 1/8th e-buggy options.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nitro has fallen off because of the introduction of brushless motors and lipo batteries. The new battery/motor technology is unreal.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Tech Rookie

I just couldn't do it> so i bought both Electric and Nitro. Ended up going Tekno NB48.4 & EB48.4 see how it goes. The smell and sound of nitro just does it for me. If the people dont show then i will have to run electric but hoping to be able to run both.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2Gamerschillin
Hello Guys/Gals

first off i am not wanting a thread on which is better electric or nitro. Just which class is gonna provide me with most options to race. Will i find more nitro events or electric events.

I am wanting to get into racing weekend warrior style. But even just weekends i will have to travel to get to the tracks. I have called a lot of the tracks in my area and they all say go electric that nitro just doesnt bring in the people any more. Ill be honest this was a shock for me cause back when i was in the hobby (16 years ago) it was all nitro. I might add i live in IL so this area i am sure is different then other areas.

So my first question is as far as racing goes what tends to be more popular electric or nitro?

What tends to be the most popular classes to race in 1/8 scale?

Another thing that seems to stand out is the hobby shops and tracks i have called all have there opinions on brands which i figured but they say well you cant get parts for mugen or kyosho so stay away from them. Well with the internet i dont see this being a real issue. But maybe i am wrong.

I Have started leaning on getting a electric buggy and a nitro buggy. But im still not sure.

Anyway Thanks for your time and please any comments or suggestions are welcome.
You can check out the midwest series its just 1/8. Nitro you would need someone to pit for you, a starter box, glow starter.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
You can check out the midwest series its just 1/8. Nitro you would need someone to pit for you, a starter box, glow starter.

Yea I want to do this but I haven't found anything on it. Outside of the one post on here about there being one. So if someone could let me know more about it that would be great. How many races where they located? All the good info
Old 02-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Midwest r/c tour on facebook
Old 02-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking

Sick last 3 days and the UPS guy shows up I have more energy then then 3 year old on a 2 litter of Mtn DEW! let's get the good stuff the fun stuff. What should I put inside these bad girls?
Attached Thumbnails 1/8 only Nitro vs Electric offroad racing-img_0694.jpg  
Old 02-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

tekin electronics and a engine under 250 bucks in case you destroy it w/ a bad tune or something like a dirty air filter. Servos are a tough choice so you must decide there is alot of options out there. I got one season on 3 hitech 7955's w/ no problems yet.