R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Carpet tire comparo

Heres my .02 on the JC vs the Schumacher carpet tires.

Standards:
- Small track, 11 sec lap times or so with around 6 jumps
- Very High grip
- Lots of fast corners, even left and right hand
- Xray XB2 CE. The car has stayed the same since it initial setup

Schumacher: Minipins (medium foam), Cut Stagger low profile both in Yellow compound.

Over all these are my go to. In the beginning the rears defiantly over power the fronts, it takes a very concise trigger finger to mitigate push. I've found the scrub in period to be roughly 2-3 packs (7 min each) for the rear to be tamed down and the pair to be evenly matched. When these tires are in their optimum performance window they're great, they stay consistent throughout the 10min mains we run and provide a good even feel. The longevity is where i believe the JC's shine over these as i can generally get around 1000 laps (estimate based on 10 70 lap runs during practice and racing) or around 10-12 packs. The other issue i have with these tires is when the tires fall out of their window they FALL OFF, its almost as if a traction light switch is flipped. I've never ran the fronts until they fail (fail is the wrong word i guess) like the rears as i usually replace as a set. One turn the rears will hold the next you're sliding. Even when they do start to give up grip the tires remain fast, it takes more concentration and trigger control but it can be done.

J-Concepts: PinDowns (included foam) wide strip towards the outer edge, Stagger fronts.

I decided to try these after a few guys at my track started running them with good success. First they come with foam and thats really nice thanks JC! Second the rears are reversible, theres two bands on the rears one wider than the other if you look close you can see that the pins are smaller on one side than the other. I ran the wide strip on the outside. Right out of the gate they things are on rails, the Schu (schumacher) tires are hooked up but these are on a different level. The Schu's over power the front but these do it even more, i decided to trim the outer two rings of pins off which helped. The front tires offer great feel hard initial bite and excellent grip throughout the entire corner and let you push as hard as you dare and keep holding. I really prefer these front to the Schu's for the initial feel. The rears are what loose me, it took significantly longer for the traction to tame down and become balanced with the front, even when it did the car felt more hooked up than i liked. In the beginning my car which hardly ever traction rolled was rolling and inconsistent during the entire run. After some more running (yes these last probably twice as long as the Schu's but they hard to drive (for me) most of the time) they became balanced and were a gem to drive. As the traction tapers off, it actually tapers off, where the Schu's feel like a light switch these provide consistently less traction and are much easier to deal with and drive fast.

END STATE:

Overall i like both sets, each have their ups and downs and are defiantly worth a try for carpet racers. I like the Schu's initial feel better than JC, i like how the Schu's find their happy place faster, i like how the JC fronts feel, i like how the JC taper off. I think I'm going to try a JC front Schu rear combo to see if thats the best of both worlds. But until then i think I'm going to be sticking with the Schumacher tires on my buggy. I hope that i was neutral enough in the comparison and could shed some light for people thinking about either one.
Emmett751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I love the JC Fronts (Swaggers)...The rears (Pindowns) I like because of how long they last, but I prefer DBoots Nanobytes & Schumachers for overall traction but they dont last very long
Scott R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
JsK
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

JCs are way to expensive 15 vs 10 for Schumacher. Even with the cheap open
cell insert in the rears there not worth 5 bucks more, especially considering
there made in tawain vs the Schumachers being made in the UK.
JsK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsK View Post
JCs are way to expensive 15 vs 10 for Schumacher. Even with the cheap open
cell insert in the rears there not worth 5 bucks more, especially considering
there made in tawain vs the Schumachers being made in the UK.
I get 3 racedays (3 heats and Main) out of the Pindowns, and 1 Race day out of the Mini Pins. so which tires are really more expensive?
Associated T5M
Scott R is offline   Reply With Quote