Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
How many classes do you run? >

How many classes do you run?

How many classes do you run?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

On this topic what would you recommend for a 2nd off road class that might be easier on maintenance and tire budget.

I am already running 2wd stock buggy and wouldn't mind filling in the night with more racing. My first thoughts would be stadium truck or shortcourse 2wd. Is one cheaper then the other to run for tire wear or maintenance. Both these classes at my track are open so would be mod motor for sure.

Last edited by sacmiata; 10-24-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sacmiata
On this topic what would you recommend for a 2nd off road class that might be easier on maintenance and tire budget.

I am already running 2wd stock and wouldn't find filling in the night with more racing. My first thoughts would be stadium truck or shortcourse 2wd. Is one cheaper then the other to run for tire wear or maintenance. Both these classes at my track are open so would be mod motor for sure.
I'm partial to sct myself.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

I had a sc10 for a while but we are in high traction clay so it was never competitive. I liked bashing into corners and they almost always roll back over on there wheels.

Would love sc5m or t5m to compliment my b5m. I know tires are alittle cheaper for the t5m but do they also wear better being in the lighter truck? Also our stadium truck class is about 4 or 5 people but the short course is an easy 10 or more.

Should I go with a class with more representation that I know I can race every time or do I risk it with the smaller group (more open track) that might not get enough coverage every once in a while?

My only concern with short course is that it's a bashfest (which is fun). But is completely different style then buggy that is the primary class I want to get better at.

Last edited by sacmiata; 10-24-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

At club racing I'll only run one class if I have my kids with me. If they aren't with me I'll run 2. If I'm at a bigger race I'll run both of my classes. 1/10 stadium truck and ebuggy.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I had a sc10 for a while but we are in high traction clay so it was never competitive. I liked bashing into corners and they almost always roll back over on there wheels.

Would love sc5m or t5m to compliment my b5m. I know tires are alittle cheaper for the t5m but do they also wear better being in the lighter truck? Also our stadium truck class is about 4 or 5 people but the short course is an easy 10 or more.

Should I go with a class with more representation that I know I can race every time or do I risk it with the smaller group (more open track) that might not get enough coverage every once in a while?

My only concern with short course is that it's a bashfest (which is fun). But is completely different style then buggy that is the primary class I want to get better at.

I just switched from short course to stadium truck. I'm not sure about tire wear. I got out of short course because of the basher/hacker types even at the bigger regional events. I personally would stay with open wheel.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

I usually run 3 classes, and pick the 3rd between 2 vehicles. Last weekend I ran 4 classes since it was a bigger trophy race with over 100 entries...Yeah, I won't do that again!!

2-3 clases...No more.....If your still new, stick to 1-2, and get proficient. And I suggest not switching between 2wd and 4wd..It's hard to make the switch and not mess up one or the other.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah - seems like the 4wd tire wear isnt what I want to deal with either. I tried 4wd buggy for just some practice days and between breaking a couple parts and the difference in the air it really wasnt something that i want to deal with.

Yeah the club here its short course bash fest but it does look like fun!!! I will race friday night and make up my mind but looks like I will pick up a stadium truck.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i needs to pick up a 2nd class already. so much sitting around around on race day that i just find myself marshalling to pass the time
Old 11-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

three thats my indoor tracks limit.. id run 5 if they allowed..
Old 11-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Yeah - seems like the 4wd tire wear isnt what I want to deal with either. I tried 4wd buggy for just some practice days and between breaking a couple parts and the difference in the air it really wasnt something that i want to deal with.

Yeah the club here its short course bash fest but it does look like fun!!! I will race friday night and make up my mind but looks like I will pick up a stadium truck.
Or, do like a lot of guys do here, run 17.5 stock 2wd buggy, and then run 2wd mod buggy with the same 17.5 setup...Lot's of guys do it, and it gets you 2 classes, with twice the track time with the same car. Your driving skills will improve big time due to the track time.

Guys here do it, and still end up in the A main....It's not about the power, it's about consistency, and consistency will win every time.

And the best part is, your running 2 classes, without the extra expense of another vehicle. You will go through tires at a faster rate due to twice the run time.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run 1/8 EBuggy, 4wd SCT, and I am interested in getting a 1/10 4wd Buggy though. Never really been into nitro for racing, any i've never tried truggy, but could be fun!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

How many classes? Club races : one class, weekend race : two

cars I race mini - did this to keep busy last year in the winter
1/10 buggy - b4 - has 13.5 motor. bought it for $50 to run a small indoor track this winter
4wd SCT - SCTE- 4.5 LRP motor. hasn't seen the track since last year. This class is nonexistent here now
ebuggy - Losi 3.0 1900kv Tekin - will race this on alternating weeks at the club and will travel with it
nitro buggy - Losi 3.0 - Reedy motor - alternating weeks at the club and will travel with it and the ebuggy
Old 11-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well I bit the bullet and got a T5M from here. Showed up a couple days ago so not enough time to get it ready for tonight but will be ready maybe for next Friday nights race (or at least a practice day).

So I will run stock buggy and then we only do mod stadium truck.

I like the idea of doing two classes with a 17.5 by running mod but I am not anywhere close to expert stock to make the leap to try to play in the mod class.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

I like the idea of doing two classes with a 17.5 by running mod but I am not anywhere close to expert stock to make the leap to try to play in the mod class.
Doesn't take being an expert to run it in mod. The most important part is track time, the more you get, the better you will be, quicker. Don't be shy, enter both tonight. The more experienced guys will notice that your going for more track time, whether they speak on it or not. It will also accelerate your learning curve tremendously.

I actually pushed a buddy to do it last time I was at the track. He was all smiles, because it felt like he got some good track time in.

Just remember, when your newer, racing is just practice with turn marshals.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Looking for some suggestions on adding a vehicle class to run. I have a B5M I ran a couple times at an indoor higher traction track. I just picked up a 22SCT 2.0 to run at a larger (run both 1/8 & 1/10) outdoor track that suggested medium pin tires.

The most popular 10th scale classes at outdoor track in order are:
4WD SCT
2WD SCT
2WD Buggy
Stadium truck

I'm considering adding either the SCTE SCT or a stadium truck. Both classes are open/mod.

What advantages/disadvantages do some of you more experienced guys see in running 2wd bug, 2wd SCT, ST versus 2wd bug, 2wd & 4wd SCT?

The ST and both SCT would be 22 2.0s.

Should I post this in own thread?

Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.