R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum

Old 01-15-2006, 08:40 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

xxxkat isn't wrong, most carpet tracks..in fact most indoor tracks in California don't last 3 years. So-Cal is one of the exceptions, I'm not sure how long Gilroy has been in business.

That being said, I'm trying to encourage Chris to do similar to what Ruben in STOCKTON does, that is to find a place where the carpet can be rolled out on Raceday, and rolled up and stored when NOT IN USE. Therefore they would not have to be renting an indoor facility on a MONTHLY basis, but instead similar to how they do the parking lot now. A daily use type of rental, with a minimal storage fee. (Chris mentioned there is an old Gymnasium above the high school that he thinks isn't being used) STOCKTON uses the Fairgrounds, but in SLO County there has to be a HALL or some type of building that could be rented/leased in this manner.

The biggest difference I'm seeing between FASTLAP and RACER'S OASIS is that Racer's Oasis doesn't have a large following of their own racers. They do have a small group of great guys, but it's not growing locally very fast.

FASTLAP has a pretty good size group that IS growing, mainly because THE COAST isn't over saturated w/ places to race. (Not that KINGSBURG is saturated, but they are sharing racers with Bakersfield)

I wish I had good ideas how Racer's Oasis could get 25-30 racers everyweekend. Although small, that track is a fun little oval. I'm not sure how the On-Road layout is and/or if they have any road racers or not.

Joe
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:50 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

I am sure that it could be done though, If you find the right location, It doesn't have to be Huge, I am sure there are places available and Joe is right, the following locally is growing for sure. There are many other racers that would race more if there was a permanent place as well. You would draw from other places with a first class place, and like I said, first class doesnt mean it has to be huge, just run right and good promoting. JMO though.
www.FinishLineRaceway.com
dmayhew25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:50 PM   #63
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayhew25
Well, that is a great attitude to have about it. If a track is run right I am sure it can make it. Negative crap like that doesn't help anyone. Thanks though, maybe that is why your track doesn't do well.
Sorry to put it in those terms David but sometimes the truth hurts.My track has managed to keep the doors open for almost a year now.I have a great attitude on my hobby.If someone wants to open a track especially an indoor track you have to keep your overhead as low as possible.I dont view what I said as negative crap,Just the truth.If you want to get right down to it I have done more to help the hobby than what most racers have.I have not made a cent..Yet I have tried to give my "friends" a place to race.I can only look at turnouts..How many racers in our area.We have already had one local Hobby Shop close,and another one close to closing.And on top of everything how would you how my track is doing..Have you ever been their? Or are you going on second hand information..our turn out is on par with Gilroy's.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #64
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour
xxxkat isn't wrong, most carpet tracks..in fact most indoor tracks in California don't last 3 years. So-Cal is one of the exceptions, I'm not sure how long Gilroy has been in business.

That being said, I'm trying to encourage Chris to do similar to what Ruben in STOCKTON does, that is to find a place where the carpet can be rolled out on Raceday, and rolled up and stored when NOT IN USE. Therefore they would not have to be renting an indoor facility on a MONTHLY basis, but instead similar to how they do the parking lot now. A daily use type of rental, with a minimal storage fee. (Chris mentioned there is an old Gymnasium above the high school that he thinks isn't being used) STOCKTON uses the Fairgrounds, but in SLO County there has to be a HALL or some type of building that could be rented/leased in this manner.

The biggest difference I'm seeing between FASTLAP and RACER'S OASIS is that Racer's Oasis doesn't have a large following of their own racers. They do have a small group of great guys, but it's not growing locally very fast.

FASTLAP has a pretty good size group that IS growing, mainly because THE COAST isn't over saturated w/ places to race. (Not that KINGSBURG is saturated, but they are sharing racers with Bakersfield)

I wish I had good ideas how Racer's Oasis could get 25-30 racers everyweekend. Although small, that track is a fun little oval. I'm not sure how the On-Road layout is and/or if they have any road racers or not.

Joe
I always thought the fairgrounds at Atascadero would be a great place for a race track.. And I do love the Carpet for a racing surface.We get 20 to 30 racers for friday's.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well on another note. The races went of pretty darn good. We have 7 classes. The weather was good for us. The day started of very cold and then brezzy then sunny. Certain parts of my body are still trying thaw out. We had some real good racing witht he tc's and it was a real treat to see the oval guys run. Along with our monster trucks and stadium trucks and nitro cars.I would like to thank all of you guys for coming out to race. Exp you guys coming from down south. If i forgot anything , please feel free to add.
tunnelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:42 PM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Joe any rental cars for the Feb 11th race? Never knew Dave SR. could wheel a car around so fast.
tunnelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:15 PM   #67
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxkat
Sorry to put it in those terms David but sometimes the truth hurts.And on top of everything how would you how my track is doing..Have you ever been their? Or are you going on second hand information..our turn out is on par with Gilroy's.
Being on par with Gilroy is nothing to write home about. The owner there doesn't care one bit about the customers. That place has the possibility to be a really good facility but he doesn't care. I haven't been to your place mainly becuase I never hear about it. The only time I see your name is when you are putting comments in on message boards. Maybe next time promote your next race instead. Not sure if your not doing well or not, what you post sure doesnt make it sound like it's flourishing with racers. Stockton does well becuase Ruben is a good promoter and runs a good show. Not sure why I never hear about your place but maybe that is the promoters fault? Gotta let poeple know about races before they will show.

IF, someone who really cares about rc racing, had the right building, ran a top notch show, cared about the racers, and promoted well, I am sure would survive and do well in our area. Hopefully someone like Donna and Chris just might be that person.

On to the racing, I really had a good time racing back in the lot. It's been a long time. Looking forward to the SWT race there in Feb. as well. Should be fun. Thanks again Joe for your help today with my car. See you guys soon.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:40 PM   #68
Tech Lord

To be honest with you David,My wife and I started this track with almost no money,We never looked at this track as making us a ton of money.Both my self and my wife have different jobs so we don't starve.. We do not have the demographics that Stockton has either.Our track is not..how should I put this..A great track,Size wise and it does have bumps.I do care about RC racing.I think your right about finding the right building and running a good program,If your getting the local support right now you need to "crunch" the numbers and see if you can find a building that fits your price.You have to be brutally honest with yourself about the costs of running a good facility.I would love to have an indoor Carpet track by the coast.. So I am sorry if I came across a bit negative,I was just trying to open your eyes..No more negative thoughts from me..I have met Joe and we did talk a bit about location and some other stuff.One other thing you guys have going for you is their seems to be a lot less "RC Baggage in SLO.. Good luck and if you guys have any questions PM me.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:54 AM   #69
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

got back from san diego sunday (early) morning, so i missed the racing but was glad to see a good turnout on the fastlap results page.

regarding what xxxkat (mike) said, while not pretty, i agree 100%. that being said, when does the REAL (i.e. offroad) racing start?

shopkeeper - are you and jay going to be there in 2 weeks? i'm planning on it and will see if i can threaten blake to show.

tunnelhead - is the grover site officially open yet? also, is oval going to be part of the normal asphalt race program going forward? i've got me an l4 i just might have to break out.

dmayhew - still racing an fk05, or get a t2 yet?
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #70
Tech Regular

GeeDub,

Missed you out there today. I was running the new T2. Car is very nice.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For those of you who dont know me, I have been racing for 26+years now I have seen all types of tracks come and go over the years.I have to agree about having a following of racers and running the program right to keep the racers captive. I have seen Chris And Donna do both, now if the $$ part works in thier favor, they will defineatly have a great show! I would drive 1 1/2 hrs to get to the track to thier 1/18th carpet races, not because it was the only place to race, but because of the fun that Chris and Donna put into that facility!! I run a parking lot venue here in Santa Barbara and I know there isnt any $ to be made in racing, but if you have a track/Hobby shop with great employees and run a tight ship, Build it and people will come.I kinda got a bad taste in my mouth by xxxkat at his first post, but he is right in saying that MOST tracks wont last, but please try to keep negative posts to your own fourms, there are too many nice people on this forum that could do without the negative posts.To Chris and Donna , whatever may come of this, you know you have my support and if you ever need my help, please dont hesitate to call!!!

My 2 cents

Michael Atherton Sr.
mikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #72
Tech Regular

Talking Arroyo Grande High School Racing

Well, once the clouds cleared out Chris and the guys threw down a road coarse inside a boxed oval yesterday.

I'm generally a road guy - but I tried oval yesterday with my stinkin' nitro and
had a great time running one car on the inside road course and the other in the roundy rounds - I sucked at both, but my best time was 1/2 sec off Mayhew's oval car. I'd like to run sedan nitro straight up against pan cars!
The Oval boys were a little testy in the main!

The best oval times came from a constant throttle and just concentrating on a smooth arc, I threw some harder springs on the right side and it was magic!
Of course a sedan is no match for stadium trucks, but it was a grouping problem, and it wasn't the nationals!

I'd really advocate a dual format track design for oval and road, sorta how
IMSA runs the Rolex 24 hours at Daytona.

I think a dual layout would attract the most drivers and offer some serious diversity, selling more cars & parts and a better ROI for the shop.

Thanks to Chris and the guys - tunnelhead for laying it down and putting on a good show, the AG format and track is great with the pimped drivers stand, the wind was so gusty we took down the sun shades.

Thanks for Mark C for his track maintenance - blowing off the asphalt and rebooting the PC.

I hope the locals don't bitch about the nitro noise and kill it for the stinkers, I just think all those batteries is too much broke-back-mountainish!
Ducati-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #73
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Man, this thread is moving fast, nice to see it at the top of the board.

I do agree with what the history of tracks is. I just do not belive that we should be premoting it with negitive remarks. I don't mind a conversation about it, but xxkat first posts were a little on the negitive side and from someone who really has nothing to do with this area. I think that is why we jumped on it quickly. Thank you though for your apoligy.

I am sure that the people involved are taking a positive look at it although keeping the risk factor in mind also.

Gee-Dub, sorry you didn't make it, I thought Blake was going to show but maybe in two weeks, we will be there also.
Shopkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #74
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayhew25
Being on par with Gilroy is nothing to write home about. The owner there doesn't care one bit about the customers. That place has the possibility to be a really good facility but he doesn't care. .
The only thing I had said about Gilroy was our turnout is comparable.. I have raced their.I feel that I do run a good program,A bit to laid back but this is how our local racers want the program to be run.I will say this I would rather Race than run a race.. j/k I enjoy both.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #75
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati-Rider
Well, once the clouds cleared out Chris and the guys threw down a road coarse inside a boxed oval yesterday.

I'm generally a road guy - but I tried oval yesterday with my stinkin' nitro and
had a great time running one car on the inside road course and the other in the roundy rounds - I sucked at both, but my best time was 1/2 sec off Mayhew's oval car. I'd like to run sedan nitro straight up against pan cars!
The Oval boys were a little testy in the main!

The best oval times came from a constant throttle and just concentrating on a smooth arc, I threw some harder springs on the right side and it was magic!
Of course a sedan is no match for stadium trucks, but it was a grouping problem, and it wasn't the nationals!

I'd really advocate a dual format track design for oval and road, sorta how
IMSA runs the Rolex 24 hours at Daytona.

I think a dual layout would attract the most drivers and offer some serious diversity, selling more cars & parts and a better ROI for the shop.

Thanks to Chris and the guys - tunnelhead for laying it down and putting on a good show, the AG format and track is great with the pimped drivers stand, the wind was so gusty we took down the sun shades.

Thanks for Mark C for his track maintenance - blowing off the asphalt and rebooting the PC.

I hope the locals don't bitch about the nitro noise and kill it for the stinkers, I just think all those batteries is too much broke-back-mountainish!
Broke-back-mountainish? Maybe you could explain.
From what I have heard I don't think we "Battery Guys" would appreciate being associated with that movie. But maybe you were referring to something different.
Anyway, you should try putting batteries instead of nitro in you car and then it might go as fast as our battery powered cars.
toomanytoys is offline   Reply With Quote