Wiki Posts
Search

Support for a new track in So. CA

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default Support for a new track in So. CA

Just testing the waters.

Who whould be interested in having a new permanent "parking lot" track at Extreme RPM raceway in Grand Terrace CA. (near San Bernardino)
The owner of the current off-road track there is considering building an on-road asphalt track in the empty lot next to the parking lot. The cost of grading, spreading gravel and laying new asphalt is quite expensive though.
If the interest is high enough, I may be able to have some others help out with the cost. Anyways your input is welcome.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think Southern California can support another track but given your location, you have to have modest expectations.

I figure you'd be in a similar position to Hot Rod's relatively new OnRoad track. A bit out of the way for most people, able to draw for a big race and some parts of the year.

To cut the crap and be brutally honest though, you can't expect anything resembling a turnout in the summer (high temps apparently killed Hot Rod's OnRoad Sundays). Since nobody would drive out there with a chance of rain also, your big OnRoad "season" would be fall and late Spring.

If your business plan can work with a turnout of 50-60+ for Oct.-Dec. and Mar.-May., next to nothing in the summer, and 25-30 in the winter, go for it. Granted, I'm just guestimating the numbers as I don't know how many of your OffRoad locals would become OnRoad diehards but starting from scratch, I'd say those are pretty good estimates based on what I've seen over all the years I've raced OnRoad.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Default Summer heat?

This is funny because in my experience, the summer turnouts at tracks are always better than in the winter. Heat has never seemed to be a deterrent to racers (portable shades, soda, water) only rain, location and schedule.
Anyways,
thanks for the comments and PLEASE keep them coming.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Default How about some more input

Anybody else in So. Calif. has some thoughts to share.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Support for a new track in So. CA

Originally posted by popsracer
Just testing the waters.

Who whould be interested in having a new permanent "parking lot" track at Extreme RPM raceway in Grand Terrace CA. (near San Bernardino)
The owner of the current off-road track there is considering building an on-road asphalt track in the empty lot next to the parking lot. The cost of grading, spreading gravel and laying new asphalt is quite expensive though.
If the interest is high enough, I may be able to have some others help out with the cost. Anyways your input is welcome.
Hey popsracer. I design RC tracks so if you need it, gimme a holler at [email protected]. I can hook you up right depending on what classes you want to run
Old 11-11-2002, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Just my opinion...

I live in the San Gabriel Valley and if I wanna race, I can go to Revalations, Crystal Park, SoCal for electric, Pegasus for offroad, and KZ. Plus Charlie Barnes and RCComp have parking lot races. So for almost everyone West of Revalations, it wouldn't be the "premier" place to go. However, I'm sure there are tons of IE RCers that want something close/closer to them. Plus, I think a "local" place to practice is always good to have.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If yall go over to the 1/10 pancar forum in Oval, Larger Sales and more, you can see some of my designs (course you can only find them from like page 65 on because I jumped in late)
Old 11-11-2002, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Location: Orange County TrackMasters "The Home of R/C Champions"

Pops, I hate to say it but It's not a good idea. Not enough racers to generate income to support paving cost. there are a few folks who race out in Perris CA at a track that is permanent and they can only bring 10-20 drivers a month to there location.

Maybe not the same area but I think you would have the same issues.

A previous post explained it fully with the Hot Rod On Road example. Not many folks want to race on road in 90Degree weather with 150 degree track temps.

I would suggest placing a SUGGESTION BOX at hobby stores in the area for some input from the local racers, they are the folks you want to hear from anyway. Don't expect to get much support from R/C Hobbyist outside of your area as there are way to many options for racers west of the 57 freeway to venture to.

Save your money, time and headaches and make the track you currently have better for the locals who already support your track.

PS: Just remember, if you build it, you are expecting your current customers to purchase another vehicle plus entry fees for at least another day of racing each week.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There is another Southern California...and it is called SanDiego County...It extends from CampPendleton down to Mexico. Pacific Ocean inward to ....just keep going till you hit the 'Rockies'...

...lots of R/C enthusiasts too...just a thought.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Default On-road at eXreme RPM raceway in GT,CA

There is already an Off-Road track at this location;

eXtreme RPM Raceway
Suite "A"
22474 Barton Rd
Grand Terrace, CA 92313
909-370-3379 "Bobby"

Bobby has expressed an interest in building a paved asphalt On-Road track in the dirt lot behind the tracks parking area.
I just thought that I would pass the information along. Us inland empire racers used to enjoy racing at the old "ShowTime" raceway at the Adams Go Kart track.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Pops before it was "Showtime" it was B&W. That is when it was great. When the new owners took over, it went down hill. They never took care of the track the their equipment was terrible.

B&W was da bomb.

Late.....
Old 11-14-2002, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

ah yes bw raceway yes those were the days. miss the carpet track to
Old 11-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Default BW raceway

Yea, I know. Brian Wright raceway. He had a falling out with the owners of the kart track. Then Lucas and his sons took it over (ShowTime Raceway)
They ended up having problems with the track owners too. (Greed)
Then some Kids took it over for about 1 month. (Funtime Raceway)
Several other people tried to work out a deal with the owners but it always was the same. (Greed)

I only live a few miles away so I used to love to go there all the time to race and practice. My whole R/C family cut their first teeth there.
Now the R/C track just sits there collecting dust and bringing in ZERO $$$ for the owners. What a waste.

Last edited by popsracer; 11-14-2002 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Pops > Definitley a shame. The owners see more people show up and then they want more money for the rent. I dont think they know what the word lease means.

RIP BW......
Old 11-15-2002, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Default What Lease

Sure they do. But when it came time to draw up the papers, someone (in the Adams family) decided they wanted a bigger piece of the pie. This happened several times with people that wanted to manage the R/C track.
Now all they have is an empty pie tin.