R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #16
Tech Champion
 
peter george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: queens ny
Posts: 8,784
Trader Rating: 352 (100%+)
Default

Once or twice is understandable, we are not all saints here but why should anyone have to hear some idiot cursing ? That guy needs to act civil and control his mouth. Period . It's a place where many people with different backgrounds meet to enjoy them selves . Anyone who goes to a Rc track where there might be kids or women should be able to control them selves. Not because of any other reason but because it's the right thing to do. Imagine an idiot on driver stand who flips his car and screams :" marshal " !! I'll be annoyed but I'll still get his car if I'm the marshal but if he screams a profanity and then " marshal " his car is staying on its lid. I don't go to Rc track for some idiot to yell names at me- I kind of feel like people are making excuses for those who curse. It's not ok. We all mess up , in the end just be better, better than the yeller ,the curser . People are always trying to find things to argue about . No argument here. I have kids and I've messed up and cursed in front of them but that made me feel small .
__________________
Team Underdog - Team UPURZ -
peter george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #17
Tech Elite
 
HaulinBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: valleyview alberta canada
Posts: 2,158
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

lol is you sig pic nick diaz?
__________________
Tyler MacKenzie
Relax, Have fun
SOAR Racing USA/Dialed RC Hobbies
HaulinBass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #18
Super Moderator
 
racer1812's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 14,878
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

If my kids hearing swear words at the track (not as a hostile rant to others) was the biggest thing in life that I found offensive, my life would be great! Look around, we have bigger issues to deal with
__________________
Stand for the flag, kneel for the fallen.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #19
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,732
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

It's not about offending anyone. Lord knows there is way too much PC BS in the world. Just using common sense when there's likely kids around. If someone isn't too worried about their kids hearing swearing than that's their call...no biggie. But I would guess the majority of parents tend to want to keep their kids shielded a little from the grown up world as they are still kids. I know they hear stuff at school etc. that doesn't justify letting it rip at a place where kids are most likely there too.
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #20
Tech Master
 
EricW's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Meriden, Ct
Posts: 1,872
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
That pesky 1st amendment might be an issue for you. Sure, you could start a club, collect dues, and then be able to infringe on a public right (in the USA) however, I doubt this would take place.

How about you be a responsible parent, and sit your daughter down and explain that people are all different, and come from different places and have different expectations in life. Explain that just because someone does something a certain way, doesn't mean it's the way you do it too. Explain right from wrong, and why people say things like they do.

What's the oldest saying? Words will never hurt me...Unfortunately, the protestant/prude culture that America was founded on is still perpetuated today. This same culture is what gave America prohibition.

First the first amendment doesn't apply to private property. It prevents the government from infringing on your right to free speech not a private entity.
__________________
Stickas are for straight up suckas......

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #21
Tech Master
 
EricW's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Meriden, Ct
Posts: 1,872
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
If my kids hearing swear words on this board (not as a hostile rant to others) was the biggest thing in life that I found offensive, my life would be great! Look around, we have bigger issues to deal with
Fixed it for you
__________________
Stickas are for straight up suckas......

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #22
Tech Elite
 
goehm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,744
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
If my kids hearing swear words at the track (not as a hostile rant to others) was the biggest thing in life that I found offensive, my life would be great! Look around, we have bigger issues to deal with
I don't think it's the most significant issue in his life. Arguably the most significant issue in life might be dying. Do we not worry about anything, except death?

No.

If someone urinated on your shoes every time you went on the driver's stand - it still wouldn't be the biggest issue in your life. I would think losing your car, house, life, or such would all be more significant .. but I bet you would want to find a way to fix it.

He came here for suggestions; I don't think a dismissive answer is appropriate.
__________________
--GO!
Come visit G's RC Raceway / Shippensburg, PA / www.GSRC.us
goehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #23
Tech Elite
 
goehm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,744
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit_racer View Post
My daughter used to come with me but now she won't as all the swearing just makes her so uncomfortable and scares her off. She was doing well with racing but it put her right off.
Brit - is it specifically the swearing, or is it the excited/angry behavior that goes along with swearing? IE: People yelling because they're frustrated they wrecked, or mad at a track official, etc?

I would like to submit that even if language was adjusted, kids can be intimidated when adults lose their cool. It's an uncomfortable situation and I'm really not sure if there's a fix for how other people behave. You'd have to be the force that adjusts your daughter's reception of someone else's action.

Things such as reassuring them that they're not mad at her, wouldn't hurt her, "just blowing off steam".

If it's only swearing, have a track rule of no profanity on the drivers stand (easier to have then no swearing at all). This has an added benefit because you don't want marshals being harassed/sworn at either. Then also have some designated pit areas that are 'more' family friendly. Sometimes adults don't want someone else's kids around or have to worry about being responsible. Some don't have kids, or others might have left them at home to so that they could mentally check out. This might fix both potential issues because those who swear might feel like they're 'rights' are being infringed upon. Having designated pit areas also might make those who swear realize that they're impacting children and might self-adjust.

I've run into it too with my kids, and a fellow racer pointed out to the fellow who was using harsh language .. who blew it off saying that he grew up in a racing family and that's just how it was. I chuckled and distanced me and my kids from him at the pits and wished him well in his 'racing life'. Poor guy.
__________________
--GO!
Come visit G's RC Raceway / Shippensburg, PA / www.GSRC.us
goehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #24
Tech Master
 
spookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,944
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

I don't consider it any worse than people smoking on the driver stand. Oh wait what, you can't? So you can't because others close by might breath the smoke, what's different about screaming cuss words because the marshall isn't moving fast enough. Go to the owner and let him know people are starting to avoid the place because of this stuff. He's probably smart enough to realise that without future business, his time is short.

We all talk and try to get young kids into this hobby, giving away trucks, etc, then to have some "adults" screaming cuss words sure makes it look like something some of us want our kids into. /sarc/
spookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #25
Tech Master
 
Brit_racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Manitowoc WI USA
Posts: 1,825
Trader Rating: 135 (99%+)
Default

no not just on the drivers stand but basically everywhere. And it is not emotional either. Just using the f' bomb every fourth or fifth word seemed over the top to me.

I get it is peoples right to say what they want. But would you swear like that at a funeral or a wedding or if your working in a day care. Maybe some people would?

I just always thought everybody understood it was a family environment and family environment meant please try not to swear or tell sexual jokes etc. No the teachers at her school don't swear just some students.

Nope it is not the biggest problem I have in life that's for sure but I don't think it's acceptable. Of course that's just my opinion.

Well she won't be going racing anymore because of it as its got so bad it has totally put her off now. Just another loss of one more person to the hobby due a small minority of racers that can not (or will not) control their tongue.

It is a real shame as it is something we enjoyed doing together. See if we can find something else. Is there the same swearing at Little leagues or kids sports?
__________________
Rc10B5m, Serpent SRX4, Xray XB2, T5m, RC8B3e, RC8T3e
Innovation Raceway
Brit_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #26
Tech Master
 
Brit_racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Manitowoc WI USA
Posts: 1,825
Trader Rating: 135 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goehm View Post
I don't think it's the most significant issue in his life. Arguably the most significant issue in life might be dying. Do we not worry about anything, except death?

No.

If someone urinated on your shoes every time you went on the driver's stand - it still wouldn't be the biggest issue in your life. I would think losing your car, house, life, or such would all be more significant .. but I bet you would want to find a way to fix it.

He came here for suggestions; I don't think a dismissive answer is appropriate.
I agree. Racer1812 is normally pretty dismissive.
__________________
Rc10B5m, Serpent SRX4, Xray XB2, T5m, RC8B3e, RC8T3e
Innovation Raceway
Brit_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #27
Tech Champion
 
peter george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: queens ny
Posts: 8,784
Trader Rating: 352 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
lol is you sig pic nick diaz?
Go Diaz brothers ! Lol
__________________
Team Underdog - Team UPURZ -
peter george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #28
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,124
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit_racer View Post
no not just on the drivers stand but basically everywhere. And it is not emotional either. Just using the f' bomb every fourth or fifth word seemed over the top to me.

I get it is peoples right to say what they want. But would you swear like that at a funeral or a wedding or if your working in a day care. Maybe some people would?

I just always thought everybody understood it was a family environment and family environment meant please try not to swear or tell sexual jokes etc. No the teachers at her school don't swear just some students.

Nope it is not the biggest problem I have in life that's for sure but I don't think it's acceptable. Of course that's just my opinion.

Well she won't be going racing anymore because of it as its got so bad it has totally put her off now. Just another loss of one more person to the hobby due a small minority of racers that can not (or will not) control their tongue.

It is a real shame as it is something we enjoyed doing together. See if we can find something else. Is there the same swearing at Little leagues or kids sports?
Whatever happened to "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? It seems like more and more, we've grown to shield children from real life, instead of teaching them diversity. I'm assuming neither child is allowed to see a movie rated worse than PG, and isn't allowed to watch TV, right?

Let me guess, do you use the term "trigger" a lot, and have a "safe zone" for you and your children?
__________________
Best Avatar on rc-tech
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #29
Tech Elite
 
goehm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 2,744
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Whatever happened to "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? It seems like more and more, we've grown to shield children from real life, instead of teaching them diversity. I'm assuming neither child is allowed to see a movie rated worse than PG, and isn't allowed to watch TV, right?

Let me guess, do you use the term "trigger" a lot, and have a "safe zone" for you and your children?
Conversely, what's wrong with trying to change something that has a negative impact on a child? Why have your first action be to suck it up and say 'Honey, go ahead and let bad things happen around you - be a pushover your whole life. There are some jerks in the world and you'll have to deal with it. Watch me, and never try to fix things that you don't like.'?

I think trying to make a positive change is a lot harder than trying to deal with a problem and builds more character .. and being an adult trying to work with other adults sets an example.

If that doesn't work, then sure - teach them to deal with adversity, to ignore some things, teach them that they're just words.

You say diversity like it's a bad thing. I feel you should always expose children to diversity. You should slowly introduce adversity as they get older because children's coping mechanisms aren't always at a state to understand it and I think this is the reason for the thread. Grown men are intimidating a child, perhaps because she may not have the coping mechanisms yet; we don't know the child's age.
__________________
--GO!
Come visit G's RC Raceway / Shippensburg, PA / www.GSRC.us
goehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #30
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,732
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Whatever happened to "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? It seems like more and more, we've grown to shield children from real life, instead of teaching them diversity. I'm assuming neither child is allowed to see a movie rated worse than PG, and isn't allowed to watch TV, right?

Let me guess, do you use the term "trigger" a lot, and have a "safe zone" for you and your children?
Really??!?

I'm certainly not a fan of not teaching children how to cope in uncomfortable and difficult situations but your thinking seems off center to me. I wasn't raised in a ultra conservative non exposed childhood. But we weren't allowed to watch PG13 or R movies before it was appropriate. Is the idea to expose them to things their minds aren't able to cope with in an effort to harden them off? Aren't children supposed to be allowed to be children? Not the self entitled, rude and obnoxious youths that the world seems to be full of? I think the dilution of morals, manners and common sense is a tragedy. A lot of people feel like this generation of young parents need to reinvent parenting...that they know how to do it better than our parents did. I'm sorry...in general parents are doing a worse job than any previous generation. And it's a lot of this kind of thinking that allows children to be exposed and grow up too quickly. To each there own but don't question folks that want to keep old fashioned morals and good manners.
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:32 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net