NEW AND IMPROVED RC CAR WORLD

Old 01-29-2015, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by k_bojar
why not the gravity tires?? they are significantly cheaper (and wear better) then the HPI tires... $15 for a set of 4 - and $5 for a set of 4 rims.. way better then the $22ish for HPI tires
Thank you for the feedback however RCGT rules specifically state that the spec tire for the class is HPI, to be in uniform with the surrounding tracks that also from time to time run RCGT it is best to stay in line with the established class rules. This way if any racer wants to run this class at another track they are not forced to buy another set of tires, because our track deviated from the spec class rules.

In regards to cost, Gravity RC tires are in the same price range of $23.99 as listed on their website. So price wise they are the same.

I understand that one tire may wear better than another but in spec class racing it's imperative to stay as true to the rules as possible to keep cost down for the racer which is one of the premises to spec racing so it would be unfair to make a racer buy a different set of tires than what defined by the rules just the race in a spec class at our track.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oladele
In regards to cost, Gravity RC tires are in the same price range of $23.99 as listed on their website. So price wise they are the same.
Are you suggesting the hobbyshop will carry the HPI Tires for $23.99? (pre-mounted)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FVUvgQod8FkATw
Old 01-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The current part number for the x-pattern tires is 4790

Oladele, you're comparing the premount USGT price to the price of just the HPI tires. USGT tires are $14, premounts are $24. HPI tires are $21, premounts are $34-43.

Also, I can't find "official rules" anywhere online for RCGT. Things like battery and weight restrictions are kind of important.

This is part of the reason why I originally suggested USGT. Clearly defined rules keep things even, and leave no questions about what is or is not legal. USGT also differentiates itself more from 17.5 tc because of the motor limit and weight minimum. With RCGT "rules" you could just swap your body and tires to use one car in both classes.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
The current part number for the x-pattern tires is 4790

Oladele, you're comparing the premount USGT price to the price of just the HPI tires. USGT tires are $14, premounts are $24. HPI tires are $21, premounts are $34-43.

Also, I can't find "official rules" anywhere online for RCGT. Things like battery and weight restrictions are kind of important.

This is part of the reason why I originally suggested USGT. Clearly defined rules keep things even, and leave no questions about what is or is not legal. USGT also differentiates itself more from 17.5 tc because of the motor limit and weight minimum. With RCGT "rules" you could just swap your body and tires to use one car in both classes.
Gentlemen,
We can run RCGT utilizing Gravity tires instead of the HPI's. I understand cost is an issue, I myself am a racer as well so I can empathize with the cost of the of the hobby. To your point an individual can in fact use one car swapping tires and body. 17.5 motor, Blinky, non TC body, Gravity Rc USGT tires.

these are the generally accepted RCGT rules;

The un-official/official rules of RCGT were set up so that every car could be equally matched, the difference being the chassis/platform you start off with. Again, the idea is to keep it as inexpensive as possible while making it fun and realistic.
• Any 1/10th scale 4WD Touring Car chassis. New or old, it doesn’t matter.
• Any “realistic/scale” Touring Car/GT body. No “Race” bodies, Stratus, Mazda 6 etc. Bodies should represent models that are running or have been run in the Touring Car, GT2, GT1 classes in ALMS, LeMans, Speed Challenge etc. HPI Racing has a huge selection of these type of bodies on their web site.
• Any 26mm spoked wheels. No dish wheels. HPI Racing has a huge selection of these on their web site as well.
• HPI Racing X-Pattern tires. There are 3 different tire choices:
• HPI #4790 X-Pattern Radial Tire 26mm M-Compound (base spec tire)
• HPI #4490 X-Pattern Radial Tire 26mm Pro Compound
• HPI #4495 X-Pattern Radial Belted Tire 26mm Pro Compound
• Kit Lexan wing or #85612 HPI Racing Plastic Realistic Wing Set only (keeping in mind the spirit of realism of the class)
• 27T Brushed or 17.5 Brushless Motor.
• 6-Cell NiMH or 2 cell LiPo 7.2/7.4v battery limit.
• Suggested minimum weight limit: 1350 grams"
Old 01-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default Staying True To The Original Class

Originally Posted by oladele
Gentlemen,
We can run RCGT utilizing Gravity tires instead of the HPI's. I understand cost is an issue, I myself am a racer as well so I can empathize with the cost of the of the hobby. To your point an individual can in fact use one car swapping tires and body. 17.5 motor, Blinky, non TC body, Gravity Rc USGT tires.

these are the generally accepted RCGT rules;

The un-official/official rules of RCGT were set up so that every car could be equally matched, the difference being the chassis/platform you start off with. Again, the idea is to keep it as inexpensive as possible while making it fun and realistic.
• Any “realistic/scale” Touring Car/GT body. No “Race” bodies, Stratus, Mazda 6 etc. Bodies should represent models that are running or have been run in the Touring Car, GT2, GT1 classes in ALMS, LeMans, Speed Challenge etc. HPI Racing has a huge selection of these type of bodies on their web site.
• Any 26mm spoked wheels. No dish wheels. HPI Racing has a huge selection of these on their web site as well.
• Kit Lexan wing or #85612 HPI Racing Plastic Realistic Wing Set only (keeping in mind the spirit of realism of the class)
• Suggested minimum weight limit: 1350 grams"
I would like to run the class, but I'm against going away from the RCGT format for USGT. I have no issues with the x-pattern tires and those who have run the class previous, would probably still have some they can utilize and save money. Plus, those tires can be easily ordered and made available at the local shops.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Default RCGT vs. USGT

Here's a link for those unfamiliar with these very similar classes:

http://www.competitionx.com/rc-articles/get-into-rcgt/
Old 01-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kewdawg
Here's a link for those unfamiliar with these very similar classes:

+1

Old 01-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I would suggest loosening on the tire rule. In off-road they are pretty liberal on tire requirements and somehow it works. Fast guys are gonna be fast and stick with a particular brand based on their setups. I would only enforce: treaded tires, non dish rims and a GT (non TC) body, PERIOD!

The shop sells those Vaterra cars and I'm sure the owner would like to sell a few to some new racers without requiring them to swap tires. It promotes the hobby and keeps tracks open. My .2

Chances are the vaterras, won't be in your main anyway.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Default Rules ruling on RCGT

Thank you everyone for thier input, however I have made my decision based upon everyone's input.

As I posted above previously the RCGT class has a spec tire which is HPI X Patten tires. If we are to run the class, we will adhere to the established rules of the class running the HPI tires, not Gravity RCGT tires. Currently the Hobbyshop does not have the HPI Treaded tires in stock. Until he Hobbyshop has them in stock or the next 2 weeks you may use either Gravity RC USGT or HPI X Pattern tires.

The next two weeks RCGT will be an exibition class, because we are allowing both tires.

Trust me, I get that guys have USGT tires in thier box and they are not getting any use, I understand Gravity tires are less expensive, however RCGT is a "Spec" class of racing. It would be to the detriment of the track to stray away from established guidelines. Again this may not be the popular decision but I must make the right decision for the best interest of the entire race program.

• Suggested minimum weight limit: 1350 grams

Last edited by oladele; 01-30-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default HMMMM

Since we are on the subject, can we discuss possible alternatives to the USVTA tire rule?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

That's why I race more offroad, holly cow. I just want to do laps. Make a decision and go with it.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Case closed! Check em in boys!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmoneym
I suck at onroad, that's why I race more offroad, holly cow.
Corrected.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

Originally Posted by san.
Corrected.
I'm going to take you out, like you did AJ.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

LOL.... it's ok, I'm use to ppl taking me out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.