Search

Track building question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 05:20 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)
Default Track building question

All,

I'm in the process of writing a guidance document to help current tracks and folks looking to build a race track. As a reference, I'd like to ask what others think the average initial investment is to build a track? This is just the build including the rent needed for the time of construction.

I have a number in mind, but would love to see others estimates.

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-31-2013, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Timing equipment 5000
50 loads of dirt 7000 - 10000. This won't make that big of a track.
drivers stand 3000 - 5000. Could be more more with included scoring booth
Misc track stuff. Pipes, nails 500- 1500
Water supply with pump and hose 500- 1500 depending on what you get.
Portable toilets for a month around 200

16,000 - 25,000

That did not include rental equipment for the build and tools to build what you got. Also add another 1000 for bare minimum in electric.

30,000 gets you a nice track.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

agreed
Old 10-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ooooo and all your personal time
Old 10-31-2013, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Then you need a race director.

Add 500 for PA system, wire, transformers and speakers. Another 300 for a FM transmitter is a bonus.

Forgot pit road. Another grand.

Anti slip paint for the ramps so guys don't bust their asses. The list goes on.

Then once you have it all build the racers tear it up, mostly not on purpose.

Layout gets old, then you tear it up and dump more money into rebuilding it.

Wait, want lights 2-3000 but don't forget to upgrade that electric a bit.. Another 500 or so...

Prepare to be a dumpster diver. Racers leave some nasty stuff behind and you got to clean it no matter what. Joe TQ could careless and will add to the pile.

Yes I have had a track for way too long...
Old 10-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't forget rent on land or building.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

I am fortunate enough to own the land my is on, so that part I never gave a minutes thought to, but you are absolutely correct.

Add another 500- 4000.

Estimate now at 25000- 40000

Let's never forget the ultimate twist... RAIN.

Also factor in how many tracks are within the 4 hour range. That seems to be the limit of 90% of the 30 % that travel. haha They are also a finicky bunch and only want to race "meaningful" races. So if you get lucky and find a clear date and it rains you out factor in some hurt feelings. Because next week those finicky racers are off to get their fix at the next meaningful race on the calendar.

I could definitely write a book on track building and owning.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Also agree with homers estimate but add an easy 10k to do it in the north east.

Lets not forget the local officials who wont let ya do anything that has to do with people having fun. Permits up the wazoo, soil samples unless your paying top dollar at a retailer.

Here in nj they wanted engineering prints to show elevation,parking,landscaping, everything. Then the DEP/EPA wants to know where the water from the track is going when it rains. How that run off is going to interact with the rivers it will flow into. After all we are using gas cars.

Someone will always call the town to complain. I was using a small bobcat on one of my tracks and someone called the town and said we had a giant excavader ripping up the land. Luckly i had the fire marshall helping me out that day and he squared it away.

Indoors is a whole other story. Im in on the book Homer lol. Lmk when.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Homer Allman
I am fortunate enough to own the land my is on, so that part I never gave a minutes thought to, but you are absolutely correct.

Add another 500- 4000.

Estimate now at 25000- 40000

Let's never forget the ultimate twist... RAIN.

Also factor in how many tracks are within the 4 hour range. That seems to be the limit of 90% of the 30 % that travel. haha They are also a finicky bunch and only want to race "meaningful" races. So if you get lucky and find a clear date and it rains you out factor in some hurt feelings. Because next week those finicky racers are off to get their fix at the next meaningful race on the calendar.

I could definitely write a book on track building and owning.
Good stuff guys. I've got a lot of what has been said covered. The doc is more like a how to build a track and do it successfully in my humble opinion from a business perspective and not a let build a track for fun perspective.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

Re-building a local track near me, we started yesterday. After talking with owner he has about $18000 invested in driver stand, pit lane, storage shed, Pa system, computer, timming system with software, pipe, spikes, signs and water to the track. All this and it was never been raced on. He owns his own equipment backhoe and a few rollers that was another $8000 or so.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by DialedIn-67
Re-building a local track near me, we started yesterday. After talking with owner he has about $18000 invested in driver stand, pit lane, storage shed, Pa system, computer, timming system with software, pipe, spikes, signs and water to the track. All this and it was never been raced on. He owns his own equipment backhoe and a few rollers that was another $8000 or so.
Good luck. If you want to read my document which is in rough draft and is not complete you are welcome to.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Tech Legend

come on there has to be more ideas out there? Is there a better place to post this maybe? Its not a secret on how to do it. I'm just trying to help the community do it better. After all isn't part of being in this hobby to help to grow it?