Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our track keeps getting attacked...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Our track keeps getting attacked...

For the last few years we've built and maintained track in a local mall parking lot. We use it often, and it's been a great experience overall. However, directly accross the street is a bar/lounge. They use the parking lot, no biggy, except, every week or so, the track gets damaged. Borders knocked over and pipes crushed. Peel out marks from full sized vehicles, and worst of all, alot for broken beer bottles, shattered glass everywhere. I spent half an hour kicking it off so I could practice. I talked the the LHS that runs the races, and they've complained to the bar before. I'm not here to rant, I'm here to ask if anyone has experience with this type of situation, and what can be done about it. I don't think the police can really do anything, unless there's somebody there to see them do it. Short of security cameras, or somebody sitting out there with a cell phone handy, I can't see any solutions.

Here's a link if you want to take a look: http://hobbycentralrc.com/images/frtpgtrak.JPG
Old 06-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

put land-mines on the track when not it use

Actually, if its not in use, put a very large tarp over it. It might not be conveinent, but its alot better than having to clean up the track or buy replacement land mines and concrete.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up track

Thats a nice looking track! What I would do is sit there one night and when people come to destroy it vidio tape it with tag #`s and give it to the police. If you have writen permission to race there then the police may help you. Are there any no tresspass signs up? If there are then you really have no problem geting the help of the police dept.
Paul...............................
Old 06-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Tech Champion

Land mines...too messy, I'd have even more cleanup, and tarps would be too expensive, it's not small. I've considered showing up one night with a camera, but I'd need night vision, the lights got blown over in the last hurricane. There was once a chain link fence around it, but the Mall tore it down. They even make us take it apart during the busy shopping days of X-mas season(pointlessly, nobody parks anywhere near there). We're hoping to set up an indoor track in the next big town over, if so, we won't have this issue. Only problem with that, no nitro, and I just got into 8th scale. It wouldn't be too bad, the oval, T-spec and electric touring touring classes are all popular here...
Old 06-19-2005, 01:43 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Normally temporary chainlink fencing is fairly cheap to rent.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:16 AM
Tech Elite

How about talking to the landlord of the shopping mall where the track is??

Seems to me that they would really be concerned about the lounge patrons trashing their lot all the time since they have to pay someone to clean it periodicaly.

Plus, it would really look bad for the guys who are running the races because it might seem like they are the ones who are trashing it....

If I were the landlord of the mall, I'd be concerned, contact the bar, and tell them to keep his patrons cars in THEIR lot OR THEY WILL BE TOWED.

We actually race IN a Lounge parking lot and very rarely is this a problem.

Go figure...
Old 06-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

The LHS owner has already been through it, the Mall, the Lounge; doesn't seem to help. I was thinking about reporting excessive drug trafficing, or something else "Worthy" of the cop's attention. It seems the Mall doesn't care, the Lounge is almost powerless, and there's too much red tape to do anything really effective(like a nice fence). There's been some delays in setting up the new track, but hopefully we'll have it put together soon...we haven't even ironed out a solid layout.

I thought there may be some law, or initiative towards creating a nice recreation area, that would protect a nice leasure time activity area such as this. Really, it's just a remote corner of a parking lot, but to us, it's the excitment/fun/competition we wait for all week...
Old 06-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default track trashing

Well you can get minature camera's that have night vision for a little over a hundred. The problem is you need someplace close so you can have a vcr running to tape the video all night long. The cameras have at least a 100' range depending on what kind you get. Just program the vcr to come on at a certain time and turn off in the morning and you can have it set to do this daily. There's gotta be somebody nearby that will let you run the vcr. If you still need help I can send you some links for equipment. I don't think the police will help you though,just a hunch.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I dont think the bottles would ever be stopped , but to stop them from driving on it see if you guys can get a few parking blocks to set up . they may cost a bit but every time you have to replace track border it cost money as well.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

There is a law that will help you out. It is called open containers. If people are breaking beer bottles outside of a bar there is a problem.
#1 bar is liable for their patrons leaving with open bottles.
#2 it is illegal to drink in puplic in most states.
#3 It is illegal to litter in almost every state.
If I were you I would bring it up to the police first, if they don't help take it to the city council. They will be worried that a place that brings in money is going to move to another town. If they don't help keep going up the food chain. I would be willing to bet the the city council will be your last stop. They don't like people drinking and trashing their city, I know I have seen it...