R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum

Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
And when you arrive at Jackson - we will have most of the 'final' components that you need - spec tires, music, a close competition. I would recommend you pick up two outdoor/asphalt racing specific -

#1 trinity / epic buggy grip 2 --- for cleaning rubber tires
#2 trinity / epic tire tweak 2000 --- for rubber tire traction compound

We don't use either of these fluids indoors at Horsham, nor do we stock/sell this items at Jackson. We don't specify a tire traction outdoors -- but these are highly recommended (aka what worked best for the last few years no matter the temp, or sun conditions).

-Mike
Thanks for the tip Mike. Items have been added to the list.
98NYFINESTVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #32
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys,

I just moved to Howell so I am planning to come out to race this year. Do people race minis at all like the TCS m-06 and m-05 or is it mostly 190mm touring car during the year?

Thanks,
RD
rdlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #33
Tech Adept

I always have my mini with me to race

Joe DiGirolamo
losi888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #34
Tech Rookie

Sounds good. I've had a touring car but I'm interested in driving RWD.

What do you and others run in your minis? Is it silver can or Sportsman setups?
rdlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #35
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

RWD mini are well, sucky, outdoors. you want a fwd m05.

minis are usually not found weekly, but most folks have them. bring it out. i'd love to see some 10+ car mini races. they are a lot of fun.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #36
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Any recommendations on batteries? Brand? C rating and Mah rating? Would love to know about gearing too, but I'm assuming that's gonna be a trial and error thing according to driving style. But if anyone has any recommendations for a good starting point, would be appreciated. Sorry for the new guy questions. Lol.
Davewhitegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewhitegt View Post
Any recommendations on batteries? Brand? C rating and Mah rating? Would love to know about gearing too, but I'm assuming that's gonna be a trial and error thing according to driving style. But if anyone has any recommendations for a good starting point, would be appreciated. Sorry for the new guy questions. Lol.
Is there a list for classes? Building a second car that fits RCGT. I have cabin fever, need to race.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Quote:
There are many good options available. You'll want to buy the highest C-rating and highest mah rating possible. Batteries continue to get better and better as the months and years go on. Maybe you should wait until we get closer to opening day?

Gearing is trial and error. Starting w/ a 4.0 FDR in 17.5 TC is always safe (but will probably be a little slow).

We like new guy questions. You can ask them in person if you like. Just come to Horsham RC on Saturdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98NYFINESTVETTE View Post
Is there a list for classes? Building a second car that fits RCGT. I have cabin fever, need to race.
Classes are somewhat driven by who we get to show up. If you have 5 people -- we will run that class. 'stock' touring car is the big class. Everything else is small potatoes. i think we've had 1 or 2 RCGT races in the four+ years i've been going to Jackson. VTA could be a more popular option as the speeds are slower, and many like the vintage bodies. we are starting to get a VTA turnout at Horsham RC. Again -- please come to Horsham before Jackson starts.

We are hosting the ROAR 2013 On-Road Carpet Nationals at Horsham March 14-17. Stop by -- see the Nations best on-road racers.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #39
Tech Adept

I had alot of fun at the 24 hour last year and cant wait to get some more people into it this year. It was the first time Ive ever been down there I want to make it a few more times this year.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
There are many good options available. You'll want to buy the highest C-rating and highest mah rating possible. Batteries continue to get better and better as the months and years go on. Maybe you should wait until we get closer to opening day?

Gearing is trial and error. Starting w/ a 4.0 FDR in 17.5 TC is always safe (but will probably be a little slow).

We like new guy questions. You can ask them in person if you like. Just come to Horsham RC on Saturdays.

Classes are somewhat driven by who we get to show up. If you have 5 people -- we will run that class. 'stock' touring car is the big class. Everything else is small potatoes. i think we've had 1 or 2 RCGT races in the four+ years i've been going to Jackson. VTA could be a more popular option as the speeds are slower, and many like the vintage bodies. we are starting to get a VTA turnout at Horsham RC. Again -- please come to Horsham before Jackson starts.

We are hosting the ROAR 2013 On-Road Carpet Nationals at Horsham March 14-17. Stop by -- see the Nations best on-road racers.
Thank you for the information. I will be away racing in Florida during the nationals. I will read the rules for the VTA class. I may be changing direction with the second car. LOL I really thought the RCGT class would have been a hit. LOL Is the RCGT class the same as the 1/10 Open TC class?
I am hoping to go to Horsham on the 23. I would like to practice before then. I really don't want to jump in on a race day, I don't think I will have to many friends at the end of the day. LOL But, if need be I will be there on the 23 to learn, practice and race.
Thanks again for answering all the questions.

Last edited by 98NYFINESTVETTE; 02-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #41
Tech Initiate

Hoping that my job situation shapes up so I can actually bring the Photon I bought off of Hanulec last year to the track this year.

Keeping them crossed.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanian View Post
Hoping that my job situation shapes up so I can actually bring the Photon I bought off of Hanulec last year to the track this year.

Keeping them crossed.
Hope u can too. Our photon setup is great at Jackson...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub
Thumbs up

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #44
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Now I really can't wait for Jackson to open. I had an awesome day yesterday. Went on road racing yesterday for the first time at Critters with a friend who I met through the hobby. I had never raced r/c's before. What a great day. I can see how the hobby has a great group of people in it. Reminds me of drag racing, where everyone was cool and was willing to give advice and help each other out. What a great experience to hear your lap times just start dwindling down as the day progressed. Starting out going easy, getting used to a car and a track I've never used before. Just hearing the voice over the speakers calling out 18.x, then 17.x, then 16,15,14, 13, 12, 11, all the way down to a 10.4 within a couple of hours. What a rush!!! I know that's not the fastest time in the world, but I'm happy with the progression. Two things I was surprised at though was one: at how much adrenaline there is when you are side by side racing with other cars (I can see how some would crack under that pressure and make mistakes), and two: how different the perspective of the track is when standing in different areas. It took alot of getting used to. I really wasn't expecting that. Bottom line is, I'm hooked, and can't wait for Jackson to open. Not to mention its the closest place to me.
Davewhitegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Now I really can't wait for Jackson to open. I had an awesome day yesterday. Went on road racing yesterday for the first time at Critters with a friend who I met through the hobby. I had never raced r/c's before. What a great day. I can see how the hobby has a great group of people in it. Reminds me of drag racing, where everyone was cool and was willing to give advice and help each other out. What a great experience to hear your lap times just start dwindling down as the day progressed. Starting out going easy, getting used to a car and a track I've never used before. Just hearing the voice over the speakers calling out 18.x, then 17.x, then 16,15,14, 13, 12, 11, all the way down to a 10.4 within a couple of hours. What a rush!!! I know that's not the fastest time in the world, but I'm happy with the progression. Two things I was surprised at though was one: at how much adrenaline there is when you are side by side racing with other cars (I can see how some would crack under that pressure and make mistakes), and two: how different the perspective of the track is when standing in different areas. It took alot of getting used to. I really wasn't expecting that. Bottom line is, I'm hooked, and can't wait for Jackson to open. Not to mention its the closest place to me.
Awesome! Carpet racing is a lot of fun however, once you've hit the curbs at jackson, smelt the fresh air, and met Richie Rich, it pails in comparison..LOL

I'm glad to hear the pre season excitement for Jackson this year, its going to be a good one for sure!