ATTN: ORL2 Summer Series Racers - NEED INPUT

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Yea, the good "old" days of racing outdoors
Old 03-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Tech Initiate

You guys crack me up. Sure are quiet until something isn't the way you like it.

We've been running the foam tires every summer and I've hardly ever heard of any real problems until now. I do read several of these forums everyday. Sorry about the foams. I've always been a fan of them. In the past when I ran rubbers I would go nuts because every week someone would have a different must have tire. I ended up with over 12 different types of tires by the end of the season and the asphalt would eat them up, especially the soft compounds. With the foams I had three different compounds and they worked everywhere. Plus they wore the same, if not better. Kinda made sense to have one type of tire rather than both. Oh, well. Guess I'm wrong.

Many tracks and big races run foam. This whole thing is nothing new but you guys act like we just sprang something new on ya's.

We'll take a look at the situation and see if a compromise of some kind can be had. Kevin Boyle had an idea on Tech-Talk of stock running foam and 19t rubber. That may be something worth considering. Thanks Boyle for offering a solution rather than just whining.

You guys crack me up.

As far as the scheduling, I'm sorry but that is the first the Jackson race was brought to my attention. I must have missed that post? I know we've been asking for racers to bring to our attention any upcoming races.

As far a scheduling a race in Maryland. It's tough to hit all the area tracks with our limited schedule, there are quite a few good ones. You got to remember that the ORL/ORL2 is just a local series that got real popular. It wasn't ment to be a whole northeast series. We are looking at MD for possibly adding to the winter series thou.

I've heard of a few good tracks in MD and VA area. Would be a great place for someone to start a similar series.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

i replied on trinitys site also bill were not complaning we were asked a question alot of people answered an it wasnt even considered thats the proble if u want input u got it if u didnt why ask
Old 03-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by BILL80
Many tracks and big races run foam. This whole thing is nothing new but you guys act like we just sprang something new on ya's.
No one is acting like this is new...If you read all the posts here - it was asked what did people want for this summer....

People said rubber tires...Then surprise, surprise, the command came down "foam only, sorry guys"...Then why was it even asked to the racers???

And most of the big events outdoors are run on rubber tires - Reedy Race, IFMAR Worlds, Jackson's summer schedule..For that matter factor in the HPI Challanges (all rubber for electric touring) and the Tamiya Championship Series (all rubber for ALL classes), Speedworld Challange (rubber tires)

And as for Jackson's schedule, its been on their website since the beginning of the year, maybe beginning of February...so I'm not sure who dropped the ball on that - but someone should have checked out all the local websites before putting together a schedule...It should be the series directors responsibility also, not just the racers...no one working with either series is that new that they do not know any of the local tracks website, let alone know someone to ask for a list of the sites...

Last edited by k_bojar; 03-29-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Dave's is taking over most of the ORL2 series duties and his first job was to create the schedule. I myself didn't realize it and I'm sure Dave, who is new at this, didn't realize either that there was a race on the same date. I suppose Ray didn't realize it either. We have always tried our best to work around other races and have done pretty good. We don't just rely on racers to pointout races, but it would be nice if you guys would offer at least a little help in pointing out race dates to avoid.

I mentioned to Dave the other day that we run foams during the summer. Like we've been doing. Unfortunately I didn't realize that Zack had started this thread. I guess Dave told Zack it was foam tires and he posted what he did. Then apparently all heck broke loose. I'm sorry, I guess the left wing didn't know what the right wing was doing. Unfortunately I DO take this stuff personally, especially dealing with the ORL/ORL2. I know I shouldn't. So please, no more BS. Let's work together.

We'll see what we can do about that start date (no promises) and check the tech talk thread about the tire issue. It's starting to sound a little more civilized now.

Thanks,
Bill Henning

[email protected]
Old 03-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Why exactly the un-willingness to change to rubber tires? You speak of different compounds but lets face it, the majority use take-off 27's or similar. (of which should be readily available at Jackson this year on race days).

Foam tires on pavement require the spending of more money, and the use of a tire truer to be competitive, when you can just slap the rubber tires on and go.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

I know I'm a bit late to the fiesta here, but I never said anything about running rubbers or foams.

I think that if we have a control tire, like Ray and Larry have suggested on Techtalk, we might be able to avoid the problem that Bill H. mentioned about having the new 'hot' rubber compound every week.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Zillon
Hm, that will have to be looked into.

UPDATE: As far as the ORL2 goes this summer, we will be running a 19 turn class (FOAMS, no rubbers. Sorry guys.), stock touring, nitro touring, T-spec, and Mini Coopers (if they show).
In case you didn't remember making this post Zack....

03-28-2005 at 11:55PM -- post # 1479801

That's what opened this whole can of worms.....
Old 03-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Just an update guys, even though this was an unfortunate scheduling and tire conflict, We will be rescheduling our race at the Alpine to a later date, which we are still working on.

I feel the pain of trying to correct this situation, but I can also feel the love of you many racers and organizers who work hard to bring a quality racing program (ORL/2) to us die hard racers.

All of this is good debate and it's nice to see that people care enough about R/C racing to voice their opinions when they see something that could be wrong.

I wasn't aware of the Jackson race when we set our date, as there is so many quality tracks and races over the summer, that it is almost impossible not to have conflicts. As a matter of fact, Jackson and I have another conflict in August that we're aware of....LOL

Keep the faith guys....PiMPiN REALLY aIN't eASy mAnG!!!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by k_bojar
In case you didn't remember making this post Zack....

03-28-2005 at 11:55PM -- post # 1479801

That's what opened this whole can of worms.....
The whole Rubber vs. Foam issue was bought up before I even posted that.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

The whole Rubber vs. Foam issue was bought up before I even posted that.
Not really...it was people voicing an opinion for rubber tires - a lot of people actually...Then you made your post

That's what started this who discussion...not prior...Because it looked like rubber might have been an option, then you made you post, which ticked a lot of interested parties off...I really it was a general "copy & paste" on several forums, but it was the way it was presented that started the landslide...

Either way, I think things have reached a point where an understanding and agreement can be reached....
Old 03-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Re: ATTN: ORL2 Summer Series Racers - NEED INPUT

Touring stock and touring mod will be run in some shape or form, but we need you guys need to add your input. Dave Mahr and I will make the decision based on what you guys (the racers) tell us.

Open Mod
19 Turn ("Scooby stock" ) - Again, any ROAR approved 19 turn motor

Currrently, none approved.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Any chance of ORL2 coming to a track in NY?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I know I was planning on running both...I'm thinking I'm just gonna hit the Jackson Race...
K-bo,

i think you will like the improvements that jackson has made since the end of the outdoor race season last year

not only is the building complete, the track was sealed with PDC, they upgraded their timing software they use AMB AutoScore that now accepts personals, made tons of more pit space by leveling that T-Maxx type track that was there, they also are going to have touring car tires availible at the track for a very good price, also made many electricricity upgrades and a brand new compressor

they open up on saturday april 16th with there off-road racing and sunday the 17th with their on-road series

i think the popular classes will be electric stock 27t, with a small mod crowd both rubber tires and nitro touring with a .12 your choice of foam or rubber tire

check the site for any more details you need and drop a post in our forums

www.jacksonrcracing.com

hope to see you in the pits,
Chris08527
Old 03-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Either way, I think things have reached a point where an understanding and agreement can be reached....
I hope so.

Last edited by Zillon; 03-30-2005 at 06:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.