Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 NOVAROSSI CHALLENGE Blue Diamond

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think I heard someone talking about doing 7-min Quals yesterday! Is that going to happen?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blount
I think I heard someone talking about doing 7-min Quals yesterday! Is that going to happen?
Yes 7 min quals that will help out with runb time issue
Old 07-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SlowPushin
Yes 7 min quals that will help out with runb time issue
I'm not sure if you mentioned the break down of the race schedule, but can you post it here? Also the length of the mains, thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Glc is 5 minutes and Nats are 5 minutes. Your going to need to figure out how to make run time for these races. Stick to 5 minutes or 10 minutes. Anyone traveling to major events will need to make runtime or start running fast enough to pit in qualy. No way around it at travel races. Making runtime is easy....slow down or make your car more efficient. Your throttle finger also has multiple positions other than all the way closed or all the way open....I am just saying.....

Last edited by J.Gonzalez; 07-23-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

7 minute qualy also requires new set of tires for every run in 1/8...
Old 07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by walo
I'm not sure if you mentioned the break down of the race schedule, but can you post it here? Also the length of the mains, thanks in advance.
check rc sign up race itinerary has been posted for over a month. That was the 1st post on this thred

Last edited by SlowPushin; 07-23-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

7 minutes 10 minutes It's all good for me and an hour main is just as nice to.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We ran 10 at the Byrons's challenge in Joliet and it was kinda like running mini mains =D. It was fun and it certainly contributed to the drama of qualifying. The qual points also helped!

We ran 7 minute qualifying in Germany, and that was also fun because the pit stops really did affect the running order. It was fun but not as much drama as if you had to stretch for 10 minutes.

If I had a vote I'd say lets do 10 minutes. We should have enough time to do 10 minutes if we get rolling nice and early. Otherwise lets just stick to 5.

My legs fell asleep at 40 minutes during the mains =D.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez
Glc is 5 minutes and Nats are 5 minutes. Your going to need to figure out how to make run time for these races. Stick to 5 minutes or 10 minutes. Anyone traveling to major events will need to make runtime or start running fast enough to pit in qualy. No way around it at travel races. Making runtime is easy....slow down or make your car more efficient. Your throttle finger also has multiple positions other than all the way closed or all the way open....I am just saying.....
i traveled to the last winter nats at Fort Myers they had 7 min quals the program went smooth no issues. I ran 1/8 scale this pass week and put 35 min of hard run time on one set of tires. tire where has been great and the track is faster. last time down some of region 1 faster drivers had run time issues its a big track and you have to drive the whole track to hit the loop , and by the track getting faster some one will get 22 laps on 5 min qual that could be an issue.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez
Making runtime is easy....slow down or make your car more efficient. Your throttle finger also has multiple positions other than all the way closed or all the way open....I am just saying.....
+1
Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Is there power at the track I can plug in to? If I bring a long extension cord .. My only issue lookin toward to this race ....Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 AM
Tech Elite

Phil

Last time at the track you had two option. You could plug in on top of the hill and run a cord but you need like a 100ft cord or you could plug into a large generator that was near the track and need a 50ft cord.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

i traveled to the last winter nats at Fort Myers they had 7 min quals the program went smooth no issues. I ran 1/8 scale this pass week and put 35 min of hard run time on one set of tires. tire where has been great and the track is faster. last time down some of region 1 faster drivers had run time issues its a big track and you have to drive the whole track to hit the loop , and by the track getting faster some one will get 22 laps on 5 min qual that could be an issue.
At the end of the day it is the tracks decision. I will not affect turnout people will show up and run and have a nice time regardless of the length of qualy.

But as most of the next major races that people are traveling to are 5 minutes races running in that format would be a better choice in my opinion.

As far a tires go you can run 1hr on a set of tire at any track.

However you will find that a certain shore tire and specifically a certain size will produce the best lap time. It is usually a 72mm tire +/- 2mm. Once you go outside side of that range of course you can continue to run but you will not have best lap times. That is why you will be running new tires every time in a 7minute format.

This happens at every track that I have been to when running 7 minutes as you are actually running 9 minutes or more including warmup. So if your going to trash as set of tire each run go the extra 3 minutes you get a better value of dollar to laps on your tires.

The other disadvantage to 7 min or 10 min format is the pit person. You need to a have a solid pit person or you lose time. I drag my dedicated and trained pit person to the track every time but for others this becomes an additional consideration.

If runtime is difficult it is also fun and adds to the excitement.

You are now not only racing your competition but you are racing the track as you will need to be fast and clever.

I hear king diamond was looking to get 3:15 for qualifying....just kidding Ralph.

Last edited by J.Gonzalez; 07-24-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YmeBP
We ran 10 at the Byrons's challenge in Joliet and it was kinda like running mini mains =D. It was fun and it certainly contributed to the drama of qualifying. The qual points also helped!

We ran 7 minute qualifying in Germany, and that was also fun because the pit stops really did affect the running order. It was fun but not as much drama as if you had to stretch for 10 minutes.

If I had a vote I'd say lets do 10 minutes. We should have enough time to do 10 minutes if we get rolling nice and early. Otherwise lets just stick to 5.

My legs fell asleep at 40 minutes during the mains =D.
The worse was the Nats in 2010 in Lincoln Nebraska. The driver stand had black rubber on top. It was super sunny and hot it felt like my feet were on fire after 20minutes I don't know how guys ran 1hr on top of that stand.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

check rc sign up race itinerary has been posted for over a month. That was the 1st post on this thred
We are still going with the 3 quals on Saturday and the 1 Qual on Sunday correct?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.