Wiki Posts
Search

Blue Diamond 2012 Onroad Season @@@@

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YmeBP
No, the track will be extended width wise by approx 20 to 30ft (total about 80ft) and length wise about another 65 to 70 ft bringing the back straight to ~300ft. Roughly the dimensions of kissimmee give or take.

There will also be cutouts for 1/10 electric and smaller scales. We expect fast lap times to be about 14 to 16 seconds. Once the construction begins in earnest we will have photos.

Jamie I'm also working w/ local hotels we have to pick one. I'm not sure where you stayed last time but the super 8 has gotten lots of votes for the hotel for our events, let me know your opinion on where you stayed last time.
Man, that track sounds big!! I've never been to Kissimmee, but what size was 301?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I am for sure not the one to ask about hotels...I messed up last time and booked a nice place in NJ close to track but had to pay the toll into Delaware both day...oops.

Glad to hear the track is getting a bit larger. I was getting ready for a spring/summer of nitro sedan racing but it looks like 1/8 will be a strong option at BD.

Also wondering if track will be open on saturday for practice on race weekends? I am most likely going to drive down friday night late and make a weekend out of it. 4-6 hr drive is brutal for only 1 day of track time.

Jamie
Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by automagic302
unless ray races 17.5 i will race 17.5 also!
So wait.. what?! You don't want to race me? What's up with that?

How about this for electric TC guys...

17.5 for the beginners and slow guys like Drew and Tory...

Open Mod for the fast guys...

If there's not enough for two separate heats, we will run everyone together (there's a way within the scoring software to run two races at the same time but score them differently), so we have enough marshals...
Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Open mod, go big or go home broke.. Seriously Ray is on to something with the option of 17.5, this class may help foster the growth and livelihood of the tri-state area. I suppose the only way is to test the waters during the first few weeks and stick to a class that is popular among the racers then. Sort of like a gentleman's agreement. Mod entails a higher rate of wear and tear on the car, plus additional parts and material to run on a weekly basis. I'd be interested in promoting a class that is going to steadily increase and draw more attention on a weekly basis.

Here's a idea, 13.5 NT (Blinky) could be a compromise between mod and 17.5 for those that want to race a spec class without the hassle of going to mod. Better yet it is also a ROAR supported class, that few tracks run around here. Personally I'd like to race 17.5 N.T (Blinky) but that is just me.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
Man, that track sounds big!! I've never been to Kissimmee, but what size was 301?
I am thinking 301 was around 240 to 270 feet long. 300 sounds like a engine killer. If you have it to big people will be wearing out engines faster.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Speedy
Open mod, go big or go home broke.. Seriously Ray is on to something with the option of 17.5, this class may help foster the growth and livelihood of the tri-state area. I suppose the only way is to test the waters during the first few weeks and stick to a class that is popular among the racers then. Sort of like a gentleman's agreement. Mod entails a higher rate of wear and tear on the car, plus additional parts and material to run on a weekly basis. I'd be interested in promoting a class that is going to steadily increase and draw more attention on a weekly basis.

Here's a idea, 13.5 NT (Blinky) could be a compromise between mod and 17.5 for those that want to race a spec class without the hassle of going to mod. Better yet it is also a ROAR supported class, that few tracks run around here. Personally I'd like to race 17.5 N.T (Blinky) but that is just me.
The only thing that will keep this hobby going in this economy is making smart decisions that will help the average racer get more enjoyment out of the hobby as well as make it more economical.

I would run 17.5 blinky because it's what the carpet tracks are running, and won't necessarily require any new equipment to transition from indoor/outdoor/indoor. Since this is a track and not a shop intending to sell goods, I think this is the type of thing we should strive towards...

And open mod is also a ROAR class. And when the difference for a racer is $85 motor, it's not hard for the guy that wants to try mod to give it a shot and go back.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Well said Ray.

It's far more expensive to run the "blinky" classes and be competitive than it is to run mod. Think about it:

1) Motor of the week (70 to 100$) every week!!!
2) Speedo of the month (or program depending) (150$+)
3) Battery of the hour (70 to 120$ x2) every hour =D
4) Body of the second (20$) you get the point

Not to mention the fact you have to run everything on the jagged edge of failure to keep up.

Take a look in the marketplace, scale looks is coming back, and people want to go fast (traxxas x01 anyone?) when you get spectators coming to the track that have never seen an rc car before do you think they are going to say .. "wow look how slow they are going, that is the class i want to race in they turn more laps!!!"

In mod, I buy once =D My 8.5 is now 3 years old this season and my batteries are older and get this .. I'm still running 5400 25c packs hahahaah!

The track will be nice and open big lanes long straights and flowing curves between them, great for beginners to learn on regardless of power. I don't want people chasing the high, and blowing up their stuff in the process THAT certainly is no fun. The sportsman class will be open, and the other class will be open for club races.

Trophy races you guys are all welcome to wind out your 17.5 till it melts =D, but i'll be running a 2.5 in my 1/12 .

Look below ... seriously aside from my opinion the sheer size of the BD will prevent blinky, you'll fall asleep driving down the back straight.

Originally Posted by kuruption
So wait.. what?! You don't want to race me? What's up with that?

How about this for electric TC guys...

17.5 for the beginners and slow guys like Drew and Tory...

Open Mod for the fast guys...

If there's not enough for two separate heats, we will run everyone together (there's a way within the scoring software to run two races at the same time but score them differently), so we have enough marshals...
Originally Posted by Team Speedy

Old 01-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
I am thinking 301 was around 240 to 270 feet long. 300 sounds like a engine killer. If you have it to big people will be wearing out engines faster.

Working that out, currently the back straight is 245' (235 down the middle), the layout will have a kink kinda to avoid blocking the steps coming from the upper pavilions so the 300 won't be completely on throttle, you will have to kinda let off in the kink and then get back on and from that apex to apex it will be approx 270' with a reducing radius sweeper at the far end.

We will have cutouts for 1/10 and 1/12 (if they want to use it) that brings the back straight to the same size it is now again w/ the same reducing radius sweeper at the end.

I've been to miami and that track is over 300' the cars need a 3rd gear almost hahaha. We will not have that kind of rod stretching going on but the straight will give you about 2 to 4 more seconds of on power depending on scale.

Care is being taken to be kind to the equipment. There are some very experienced professionals helping us out on the design.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

In talking w/ some of the industry guys and some of the guys from over seas everyone is concerned about the amount of power everything has and not being able to safely run it. We will have a place that you can go fast safely, and if you don't like fast then you can go slow as well.

We are working with the other tracks in the area like Jackson (I still have to give Al a call been busy haha) and Ray over in Williamstown and if people are a little intimidated we can help them by inviting them to Jackson or Ray's during the off weekends.

We will have a great year, the layout will be great and you may see me running 1/8 as well as 1/12 out there ahahah.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

just give me homestead track and that way i dont have to go all the way down there then I can race happy just kiddin I take it as long as I can stretch my snake out.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

In talking w/ some of the industry guys and some of the guys from over seas everyone is concerned about the amount of power everything has and not being able to safely run it. We will have a place that you can go fast safely, and if you don't like fast then you can go slow as well.

We are working with the other tracks in the area like Jackson (I still have to give Al a call been busy haha) and Ray over in Williamstown and if people are a little intimidated we can help them by inviting them to Jackson or Ray's during the off weekends.

We will have a great year, the layout will be great and you may see me running 1/8 as well as 1/12 out there ahahah.
Welcome to the world of 1/8 scale Tory . What car will you use?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gearhead_22
just give me homestead track and that way i dont have to go all the way down there then I can race happy just kiddin I take it as long as I can stretch my snake out.
Is this Carl? If it is Happy new year and I'll see you at the diamond.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by walo
Is this Carl? If it is Happy new year and I'll see you at the diamond.
Juwan hunter who is the lone serpent driver in 1/10 =D
Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

:\
Juwan hunter who is the lone serpent driver in 1/10 =D
oops, . Tory answer the question.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Long straights are fine they are only hard on the engine if you are hard on the engine.

I ran two COMPLETE race weekends back to back at Homestead on the same glow plug!

With long straights you just run the top end maybe 1 or 2 minutes richer than full on balls to the wall race tune. You can also add 1 ounce of pure high qaulity caster oil (from Novarossi of course!) to a gallon of fuel. Most fuel these days is mostly synthetic oil...which is fine and motor will run fine but tends to be a bit harder on the engine.

Motor will have power still and you wont beat on the engine.

I ran the same engine for practice and entire race during the worlds and club raced on the same engine 4 additional race weekends plus multiple practice weekends when running 6 plus tanks of fuel. No blown rod,no blown bearing...it needed service as I wore it out. That is more mileage than most people will likely put on an engine during their entire season.

Ultra high traction is what is hard on engines as you MUST lean the motor to make run time and you can hold it wfo in alot of places. This is when I have destroyed engines. Homestead is a big fast track but you cant drive like a lunatic you dont go any faster. The old chaplin was lean it and hold it to the pin for 5minutes waaaaaay harder on the engine.

Tq the straight rarely evers yields a faster overall time..you just impress your friends and spectators and have a lighter wallet!

Track sound like it will be great...the real question is who will be able to hold it full pin thru the "Tory Kink" on the straight???? Have to wait and see.

Last edited by J.Gonzalez; 01-27-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.