R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum

Old 12-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Yes, everyone continue to enjoy the Holidaze, and I will be back to blabbing right after the New Year!!!!!!!!!

Just remember we have the SJCCR SLowbirds coming up at the end of January at Horsham, so make plans nOw....

New SLowbirds thread next week....
Old 12-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Murray View Post
Yes, everyone continue to enjoy the Holidaze, and I will be back to blabbing right after the New Year!!!!!!!!!

Just remember we have the SJCCR SLowbirds coming up at the end of January at Horsham, so make plans nOw....

New SLowbirds thread next week....
can't wait to see the lineup for the slowbirds my VTA is all ready to roll
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #33
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
yup that's completely legal and the whole point of the ballastic motors
sweet, just checking because i think i wont have the correct ring color and sticker.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #34
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iknowjoe
Default F1 NATIONWIDE

Quote:
To my F1 peeps....I know this would still be a popular class if we had a defined ruleset....There is a local movement to look at the UF1 specs.

Take a look and let me know what you think....

http://uf1series.com/rules.html

I still have to wrap my head around the racing format, but the car specs look good to me....
Ray, thanks for considering this movement. Baby steps though. Let's just consider the specs first, get a turnout, and then we can consider mixing up the racing format with 10 minute heats and mains as well as pit stops. I have been talking to the boys out in SoCal and they are getting 30+ on a weekly basis. Yeah, I know. They also started a LeMans class. Wow. Plus, TCS has allowed for 21.5 brushless and fixed timing speed controls. Sweet! I have done my conversion to brushless. I raced the other week at Horsham versus silver cans. The rumors are true. The speeds are comparable. But you don't have to worry about you motor fading towards the end of your run because your pushing your motor past 200. This is a bonus. Plus, open rubber is great. The Pit Shimizu rubber tires make these cars so dialed, it's crazy. Seriously. Crazy. I have some for sale and will stock up before the Slowbirds. Let me know if you want a set.

There was a rumor the other week so I've been checking in here:
2012 TCS Schedule
Boom! Your eyes do not deceive you. TCS is coming to Jackson this summer.
Get your F1's ready!!!!!!!!!

Get that Slowbirds thread rolling!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #35
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowjoe View Post
Ray, thanks for considering this movement. Baby steps though. Let's just consider the specs first, get a turnout, and then we can consider mixing up the racing format with 10 minute heats and mains as well as pit stops. I have been talking to the boys out in SoCal and they are getting 30+ on a weekly basis. Yeah, I know. They also started a LeMans class. Wow. Plus, TCS has allowed for 21.5 brushless and fixed timing speed controls. Sweet! I have done my conversion to brushless. I raced the other week at Horsham versus silver cans. The rumors are true. The speeds are comparable. But you don't have to worry about you motor fading towards the end of your run because your pushing your motor past 200. This is a bonus. Plus, open rubber is great. The Pit Shimizu rubber tires make these cars so dialed, it's crazy. Seriously. Crazy. I have some for sale and will stock up before the Slowbirds. Let me know if you want a set.

2012 TCS Schedule

Hey Joe - remember with USF1, they only run those series races every 3 or 4 weeks, not every week that's part of the reason why they have such a good turn out..

I think it'll be awesome if we could get something like that over here
Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #36
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iknowjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
Hey Joe - remember with USF1, they only run those series races every 3 or 4 weeks, not every week that's part of the reason why they have such a good turn out..

I think it'll be awesome if we could get something like that over here
Yup. They always bounce from track to track too. I'd like to do that. I've been making my rounds with F1. I've been to the Coliseum, Mushroom Bowl, SJCCR, T&L, Brownies, Jackson & Horsham over the past year. I'm working on making it up to 360 v2.0 & headed to the Sweep Challange at Middle River in MD on January 21st. I always have my F1's and I'm always pushing this class to grow. I'd like to get all the local tracks on the same page so we don't have to make crazy changes to our cars to travel and keep things competetive and fun. We don't have to mimick everything in Cali, but simply use their guidelines to get things rolling. They've had such a good turnout at so many tracks that they've done the testing we wish we had time for. I bought a bunch of those Shimizu's and people loved them.

The rule changes for the TCS are a great boost for this class. Coming to Jackson is just another reason to get your cars dialed or purchase a new one because now we know they really can work. Granted we can't use the Shimizu's at the TCS race, but we'll all be on the same playing field on that day with the Tamiya tires. The conversion of the Pro to the X1 side dampener makes a big difference as well. We have to bring our cars out and support the class! Let's do it!!!! I believe F1 is great for RC. We just need your support.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #37
Tech Rookie

Default Pan Oval

Hello, I spoke with Ray and he suggested I post a message here. I've been away from the hobby for a pretty long time and looking to maybe get back into RC'ing with a limited buget. I have a 1/10 pan LTO car and was wondering if you guys run oval race's at Ray's track? If so what are your rules as far as motors, tires etc. I'm hoping all my stuff still works.
tehodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Good stuff Joe, and HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL!!!!!!!!

Still sobering up, so be back real soon....::hic::
Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehodge View Post
Hello, I spoke with Ray and he suggested I post a message here. I've been away from the hobby for a pretty long time and looking to maybe get back into RC'ing with a limited buget. I have a 1/10 pan LTO car and was wondering if you guys run oval race's at Ray's track? If so what are your rules as far as motors, tires etc. I'm hoping all my stuff still works.
Hi Tom!

There is a group of oval guys who travel to different tracks in the summer, and made two trips to Wagner Park last year....jman and diffdude are our resident oval guys, and I'm sure they'll post when they see this.

We can run oval on any race day as long as we can get a decent heat (4-5)

Old 01-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehodge View Post
Hi Tom,how have you been?Everything is one cell lipo and brushless motors now.We run 1cell 17.5.I limited the rules to keep it simple and fun.The rules were 17.5 motor,1 cell lipo,weight 42oz. min.,no heating of battery(must be within 5* of ambient temp),Motor cooling/freezing is allowed,any Nascar style body(back can be cut out),Wings ok. If you are running round cells and brushed motor,we could try 4 cell with 27t stock motor should be close to same speed.If you are going to upgrade to new brushless gear try Chris Green at Bob's Hobbies in Pitman he can hook you up.If you are looking for used try looking on Hobbytalk.com swap and sell section.I plan on organizing 2-3 events at Ray's this summer. Many grapes will be sacrificed in the name of traction.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowjoe View Post
2012 TCS Schedule

damn...I complelely MISSED THAT - holy shit!!!

damn, I guess I know what I'm doing that weekend
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman View Post
Many grapes will be sacrificed in the name of traction.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Okay, here is my early topic for discussion....

I know last season, we talked about the pros and cons of sealing the asphalt. After much consideration I opted not to seal last year....

From what I remember, other tracks that has done it, had better traction and better tire wear after sealing, but after a while, it got slicker as time went by. Correct me if I am wrong here....

I now want an answer to this specific question....Do you think we can get a "full season" of good traction if it's been sealed???

The reason I ask is because the price of driveway sealer is pretty reasonable, and if we could get a season out of it, I would have no problem re-sealing it every year (or when it may really need it)

Just thinking....
Old 01-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Okay, here is my early topic for discussion....
I now want an answer to this specific question....Do you think we can get a "full season" of good traction if it's been sealed???
That's a good question... It would definitely be better early in the season, with the final question being whether or not the heat/thunderstorms of summer "washes" the traction out of the sealer, leaving us with less grip for the final few race days. There's only one true fix - which I know isn't an option, but grip on the current surface is sketchy at best during the early and later portions of the season. That said, I think it might be worth giving the sealer a try, provided that the pan car guys wouldn't be adversely affected...