Wiki Posts
Search

RUNNING A FAIR MEETING

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Default RUNNING A FAIR MEETING

I am writing this in anger.

When I enter a race meeting, or series, the standard, fair and proper way to assign heats is carry over ones results from the last meeting into the next meeting.

I know that Ian Knight follows this to the letter at Carpet Wars, and it is fair and consistent, nobody can complain.

I also knoiw that Malcolm missed the first round of his own series at Rugrats, so he was put in the bottom heat - after which he qualified for the A Mains.

Unfortunately I am utterly disgusted, and more dissapointed with those who ran eversley today.

Having raced my admittedly limited guts out in the first round, I qualified at the back of the C. I went on to get 4th. At that first meeting I was put in the group one up from bottom. I effectively leapfrogged into the c final.

I contacted the race controller in anticipation of being bumped up in my qualifying group at the next round and was told that my last qualifier and 'other factors' will come into consideration.

Well those other factors were something like 20 other drivers who must have all been faster than me as I was back down in the same qualifying group.

The race controller said it was on the basis that those above were better drivers, and we whould be placed according to our abilities. If that analogy is correct then why bother qualifying - why not just base it on - 'hey he looks good going round that corner'. Better still lets save a load of money, get rid of transponders, and base it all on reputation.

The only fair decicive factor is your times, and that will be determined by previous entry.

For those 'coming in' let them be jumbled about according to reputation, but those who previously entered ought to be rewarded:
1. first for having entered the last round and supporting the said series - though it was on rubbish carpet, which those 'new drivers' would not risk their precious cars on, and
2. for having qualified where they had on the last occassion

We enter this sport for fun, and when it seems that the odds are not stacked fairly, then it detracts from that.

I'm sure the smart alec race controller is gonna say 'what if masami turned up' - well with respect there were no masamis at eversley, and if there were, then certain exceptions to the rule - fair enough - but 20 odd exceptions - come on.

I am totally disgusted, and as a result of it, I am not going to enter another round of this series, and may well not enter anything run at southend, and will not renew my club membership there.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Well all the tracks I been to always let the computer line up the heats. The first two rounds everyone runs in the heats they are assigned and then for the 3rd round we do a reshuffle and that round is based the way you qualified so far. This way is alot more fair than by going off you previous race at another track.

This way everyone has an equal chance at running in a good heat as the computer does it randomly because the computer don't know who you are. The good fast guys will still more than likely make it into a better heat after the first two rounds of qualifying are over.

If you line heats up by the way it seems you guys do if you happen to have a bad day the next race you go to you are punished by running in a bad qualifier right from the start. Each race you goo to everyone should start with a clean slate and everyone is equal until you run a round or two of qualifying.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wyd
Well all the tracks I been to always let the computer line up the heats. The first two rounds everyone runs in the heats they are assigned and then for the 3rd round we do a reshuffle and that round is based the way you qualified so far. This way is alot more fair than by going off you previous race at another track.

This way everyone has an equal chance at running in a good heat as the computer does it randomly because the computer don't know who you are. The good fast guys will still more than likely make it into a better heat after the first two rounds of qualifying are over.

If you line heats up by the way it seems you guys do if you happen to have a bad day the next race you go to you are punished by running in a bad qualifier right from the start. Each race you goo to everyone should start with a clean slate and everyone is equal until you run a round or two of qualifying.
I totally agree...

Shame that did not happen
Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

"This way everyone has an equal chance at running in a good heat as the computer does it randomly because the computer don't know who you are. The good fast guys will still more than likely make it into a better heat after the first two rounds of qualifying are over. "

It shouldn't matter if your Masami or any other world champion--- you get placed in a heat based on how your doing THAT EVENT-- if you don't deserve to be in the fastest heat that day for whatever reason---you don't deserve it!!
I didn't see former world champion Michael Schumacher getting any "primadonna" treatment this past year in F-1-- and I think that sets the standard by which we all should run by. Earn your position--or not---it's that simple!!! Favoritism has NO PLACE in races that are run fairly. Your right to be pissed off!!
T
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This happened to me at the birds 3 years ago....

My first and second heat (12 scale stock onroad) at the birds I ended up with 2 A main and 2 B main racers. In the first qualifier one of the A main racers started yelling at the other racers right from the sound of the tone. Get out of the way idiot seemed to be his favorite line. He decided that he would go through me instead of waiting .5 seconds for me to go wide. The only thing he said was "Try to get out of the way a faster will ya". The other A main racer was be nice and pleasant about it, and every time she came up on me I would make sure I got out of her way when it was a good spot to do so.

About 4 minutes in the @sshole racer once again put me into the boards when I went wide at the end of the straight-away. I told the marshall to turn it off and I sat down on the steps waiting until the heat was over. The marshall asked me why I pulled it and I told him that why wait until the moron smashed my car up, this way I will have it ready for the third heat. He laughed and said you mean the second one and I told him no, I wouldn't be racing in that heat because the idiot would be runing it it.... At this time Paul Lemieux just handed my car back to me and said I don't blame you....

When Snowbird Mike asked my why I was at the track but not running in my heat I told him the same story and I asked him not to say anything about what happened but to ask the Birds officials to keep an eye out for this behavior and give people warnings... I think they did tell him to cool it during the second heat....