Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHILADELPHIA TRACK COMING SOON!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by enzokilla
If i have enough room how does a offroad and onroad kinda side by side sound???
...Not a good deal...Dust from your offroad would blow over on to your road course. Onroad racers hate that, and you'd be working extra hard to keep your onroad track dirt/dust free. What you have to do first is settle down, and vision exactly what you want...The RC industry is up and down, round and round. What's popular in one region, simply does not exist in another. The best advice has already been given. Check out some of the local tracks, you'll find that most are offroad, but there's a good following of onroad in the area which is currently dominated by Blue Diamond Park in DE., Jackson in NJ. Ray Murray who posted earlier puts on great on / off road races under his SJCCR Banner out of NJ. Get out to the tracks, introduce yourself, shake some hands...There seems to be a spike in RC racing in this area once again and that's a good thing. Again you have to drop the if's , maybe and I don't know stuff, and settle on the exact program you want to run (track-wise) then present it to the demographic you wish to target for further detailed ideas and opinions.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default Know what you are getting into...

Just about all of the people who are chiming in on this thread are seasoned racers. Again, like DJ says about haveing a on road next to an off road is a big no no! We did that for many years at BD.
The common thing to do for this being your first endevor into the RC racing world is to go to a few tracks and see how the show is run.
Now about up armoring RC's, its not gonna matter too much. A beginner will smash anything! When we all started, most of us bought the fastest thing that we could get our hands on. Then the first race we all got nervous and crashed the things! That will happen.
We all want to see a new track. We just don't want to see it come up then "poof" disappear. The best thing to do is to go to events and watch how the show is run. If you are gonna me a track owner/operator, be prepaired to not race and be the bad guy when it comes to rules enforcement.

Last edited by GHETTOTEACHER; 11-11-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

You should look into mini-z. They are smaller 1/24, cheaper and easy to maintain. That can go over well in an ice water/custard shop. You can get a nice RCP track for under a 1000. Gyro Z laptimer 500 and a bunch of cars to rent at first and still sling the custard. Great idea for parties and the cars look very realistic to scale.

Check this place out. www.actionrcspeedway.com .Also go on youtube and search mini-z. These cars are just as competitive and fun as larger ones. Just a thought
Old 11-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Tech Initiate

ok well thank you all again and the only reason im doing i dont knows and ifs is because this is going to be my uncles buisness and he gets to say what we are going to do the only way he will do it the way i think it should be done is if i get the demographic i am looking for to show there interest i have to prove to him we should go with my idea i have a new idea im going to post 2 new threads 1 on onroad and 1 on offroad and i want all of you to say what you want in it and wether or not youd show when i say what the 2 ideas will consist of..... please show me your support after all soon i will have the right to kick you off my track LOL just kidding just show some love some respect and some hands raised on attendance
Old 11-13-2010, 02:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If I was looking for a profitable business it wouldn't be r/c racing. It sounds like your uncle wants to make money and not open a track based on a passion for racing. Unless you own a building or can get one for dirt cheap, a stand alone race track will most likely not pay the bills. If your dream is to open a race track I would get a job at a hobby shop/track and learn more about the in's and out's.

It seems like there are a few tracks in your area already and being inexperienced is going to put you at a disadvantage beginning on day one.

Costs to think about: AMB system, drivers' stand materials including making it ADA compliant, insurance, inspections, dirt, RTR rentals,lighting, pit tables and chairs, building rent, etc.

I think the suggestion of doing a mini-z track at a ice water/custard shop is a way to get your feet wet without the risk of major investment. A "toy" track could be a start since you yourself said,"I am a 19 year old." Running a full on race track would be overwhelming for a 19 year old.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by enzokilla
.....im going to post 2 new threads 1 on onroad and 1 on offroad and i want all of you to say what you want in it and wether or not youd show when i say what the 2 ideas will consist of.....
It'll be waaaay easier to keep all your ideas on this thread only. Just post all your ideas here....

Makes it easier for people to follow....
Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Initiate

i dont feel i would be too overwhrelmed im used to dealing with loads of bullsh&& all at once and the reason i wanted to post it up in new threads is everyone seems to be jumping off topic like sayying why they think its gonna be hard and things of that nature AND THE TRUTH IS IT WONT BE TOO HARD if everyone would just post what they are looking for in a track and track staff so i can accomadate for everyone to make it alot better for you so you want to come more which makes it alot easier on me if you get what i mean so please the only ideas im asking for now is what do you think the tracks should consist of kinds of turns kind of dirt and underlay kinds of railgaurds things like that certain rules at other tracks you dont like that i might be able to exclude things like that make it easier on both me and you and more enjoyable for us both as well which will keep you coming back for more if you know what i mean
Old 11-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Im gonna say what i think most wont, haven't, or don't want to say as to not hurt feelings. The odds of you having any success with any type of R/c track in Philly are slim to none. You gotta understand a few things. There are alot of well established tracks in the area, in my opinion just about the right number to keep attendance up for all. The racers in this area are a very tight knit group that pretty much knows everyone.

As far as i can tell by your posts and other threads you started your not known in the area as a racer or go to guy. As much as that last sentence may seem like poor judgment or a mean remark, its the truth.

And in my experience (been involved in the hobby around Philly for 15 years) racers tend to go where they know the people running it. My first race was when i was 11 with Ray Murray(he has posted in this thread check him out!) and every time i have taken a break from racing, when i came back the first thing i did was look up Ray and see what kind of racing he was running and where he was doing it.

Every track has its core group of hardcore loyal guys that race at the same track almost every week, venturing to the other tracks either on the off day, for Big races, or just a casual visit once or twice a year. If you gave me a list of every known racer in the tri-state area i feel i could accurately say where they all race on a regular basis,its that well known.

So basically what im getting at is this. You would need 1 of 2 things. 1. A brand new group of at least 18-25 racers that will be totally loyal to your track and race there on a week to week basis. or 2. Build a mega venue. Build the biggest baddest track/tracks on the east coast and steal for a lack of a better term the racers from the other tracks. And i highly doubt you could pull that off, these racers are very loyal to their friends/home tracks.

There is currently a BRAND NEW track being finished in Philadelphia as we speak. Its an indoor off-road track that looks as if its gonna be the place to be for the winter months and the super hot dog days of summer. The guy opening/running that track is a local racer. He's been around a while, knows every racer around, and not just the important "guys to know." He is still racing at and has the support of the other local tracks. He has made connections in the R/c industry not only in USA but all over the world and really has the tools to make his track successful. There is a major buzz about this track, he held one test day at the track and had a large turnout despite track construction not being finished. These things couldn't be any more important to having a successful R/c track.

This was not an attempt to bash you, nor an attempt to prevent you from starting a business venture. That is the beauty of America, free enterprise. Anyone can start their own business. I just feel there's ALOT of things you don't know about this industry and it could really turn out to be a flop. That being said my advice would be, do your homework. Read everything you can about tracks and racing on the web. Head out to the tracks in the area and get involved. Come out for the volunteer days. Marshal races. Meet guys. Get some stuff together and do some racing. Then if you feel you know enough to get started, pick what type of track you wanna do and then start asking questions and advertising. I don't think your gonna get the type of positive response you want out of these threads until you do this. We have seen many tracks come and go(some talked it up and never opened) in this area and the racers here really tend to not get excited when they hear about new tracks.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Tech Rookie

do what you feel.if you fail try harder next time.i would love to join a new group of people to bang up some cars and such.ive only been doing it for a year and i love it.im tired of burning up tires in store parking lots and a new track would be fun to go to.im loyal and known for volunteering for anything that would need to be done.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try dirt oval, There are no more in the philly area.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

dirt oval or a mini micro designated track like so many up the east coast... 1/18th buggy truck and touring car are huge in the mass and ct area could possibly gain intrest here but listen to these guys they know what they are talking about and no matter how easy you THINK it would be means nothing until you or your uncle have a bunch of money dumped into something that turns out to be a Much bigger deal then you thought...
Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

I want a big offroad track indoor and heated. Put in some crazy vent system because I race Nitro Baby! Forget the ice cream, Put in a bar and a stripper pole and they will come! You asked.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by throttle-out
I want a big offroad track indoor and heated. Put in some crazy vent system because I race Nitro Baby! Forget the ice cream, Put in a bar and a stripper pole and they will come! You asked.
+1