Wiki Posts
Search

DMV Racing (DC, Maryalnd, Virginia)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
um well here in pa the turnouts seem to be constant at least at hobby hut in pa 7 to 8 heats all together pretty much every weekend with 1/8 truggys and buggys snd sc trucks.

i have no idea why its dying in maryland so bad i used to live in glen burnie
i have, to disgree with having a hobby shop for the track to survive because lets face it most racers get there stuff online because hobby stores dont carry it and where they get it from dont carry it ethier.

and if anything i see good turnouts for sc trucks at offroad tracks .

and there is diffrent people and locals not all the time though show up to race.
Offroad always seems to draw a crowd, no matter where it is. RC tracks are much like having 4 different gas stations on the 4 corners of Main and Broadway in any town, eventually it narrows down to one or two.

I agree, most racers get their stuff online, which is why RACERS don't keep a track going, new blood does, UNLESS they're the ONLY game in town to service the need, then a hobby shop IS necessary. Since so many racers need so little, and they get most of it online, something else has to pay the overhead to keep the doors open and the lights on, and that something is retail sales in quantity (kits and set ups, mostly to newbs).

Once there's a common core of racers, there has to be enough critical mass to maintain the track economically, or fees HAVE to go up, or service HAS to drop off. That's what's happening everywhere. Only the best are surviving. In the tough economy, playing ball with the kids at the park in the summer time is cheaper than entry fees, tires, spare parts, etc. For outdoor tracks, if they can survive the winter (when they're baically closed for the weather), they're going to be OK. For indoor, if they survive the summer(when everyone is outdoors and doing something else), they're going to be OK.

If a track can't survive in it's proper season, it's NEVER going to make it.

Like anything else, it ebbs and flows. Right now, from everywhere with the economy like it is, small speciality niche hobby businesses are dying off. I have friends who race RC in Texas, Maryland, Florida, and Tennassee, and its the same everywhere. One or two in any given area, and the rest are drying up. The common themes, it seems, are larger multi track/event facilities, usually with a larger, well established hobby shop as support. VERY few facilities, other than private/public clubs, can make it on entry fees alone.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Offroad always seems to draw a crowd, no matter where it is. RC tracks are much like having 4 different gas stations on the 4 corners of Main and Broadway in any town, eventually it narrows down to one or two.

I agree, most racers get their stuff online, which is why RACERS don't keep a track going, new blood does, UNLESS they're the ONLY game in town to service the need, then a hobby shop IS necessary. Since so many racers need so little, and they get most of it online, something else has to pay the overhead to keep the doors open and the lights on, and that something is retail sales in quantity (kits and set ups, mostly to newbs).

Once there's a common core of racers, there has to be enough critical mass to maintain the track economically, or fees HAVE to go up, or service HAS to drop off. That's what's happening everywhere. Only the best are surviving. In the tough economy, playing ball with the kids at the park in the summer time is cheaper than entry fees, tires, spare parts, etc. For outdoor tracks, if they can survive the winter (when they're baically closed for the weather), they're going to be OK. For indoor, if they survive the summer(when everyone is outdoors and doing something else), they're going to be OK.

If a track can't survive in it's proper season, it's NEVER going to make it.

Like anything else, it ebbs and flows. Right now, from everywhere with the economy like it is, small speciality niche hobby businesses are dying off. I have friends who race RC in Texas, Maryland, Florida, and Tennassee, and its the same everywhere. One or two in any given area, and the rest are drying up. The common themes, it seems, are larger multi track/event facilities, usually with a larger, well established hobby shop as support. VERY few facilities, other than private/public clubs, can make it on entry fees alone.

well i can understand with onroad racing droping off its way more expensive to run than offroad if you ask me. i used to do onroad racing grated when i raced onroad there was only brush motors and nimh battries.

as for hobby stores most of them that stay open are usually from bashers and selling airplanes and heli thats where they make the most money from .

i know the track i go to is a public club i think it is in a open wooden field and they been running for 5 years and still run it great.

i actually dont spend much on tires i run nitro truggy and only do race every other weekend and they last pretty long and everything else is just mateience.

i mean put it this way this hobby/sport is a lot cheaper than doing full size racing .
Old 10-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 234 (100%+)

my biggest complaint is that most tracks have shut down for the rest of the year. I have no idea why since the weather this time of year is great. I remember when steve wood had the track at Archer's and we were racing into mid december. I vote for Mr.Steve Wood to build another track

After racing at cape fear this weekend, i am giving it some serious thought
Old 10-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

We can have a race next Sunday at the Yard. Who's in. I'm willing to run any weekend the track is dry. All we need is the racers.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steve wood
my biggest complaint is that most tracks have shut down for the rest of the year. I have no idea why since the weather this time of year is great. I remember when steve wood had the track at Archer's and we were racing into mid december. I vote for Mr.Steve Wood to build another track

After racing at cape fear this weekend, i am giving it some serious thought
Mr. Author Sheperd at parks and rec. still got his number,he's running for county commisioner this year.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Well looks like I am not the only one who feels this way

We have one track owner on the form so this is a start.

OK guys we know that there is a problem, what do we think is the possible solution.

In my opinion I think we racers have to change a little along with track operators.

I started racing on the west coast and yes most of the time the best facility survived.

The economy is rough but I do see people still spending money and buying RC equipment. What I think is gone is what I would like to call RC Crackheadness. In the past people use to tolerate a track with abrasive surface or a brutal layout. The hurt on there pocket book was not as bad. But as with every other industry we must also evolve.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Ok here's a start. In order for us to have a target we need to know who are targets are. How about we start from the ground up with the basics of Region 2. Below let's all sign up to the classes we would be willing to run. This way we know who are targets are. We can compile a mailing list from this info. I know it's the basics but we need to clean house and start over and know who's who at teh zoo. List your class and your name below. Then copy and paste. We need to see how many potential racers we have. It would also be a good idea to state what you consider your homer track and if you are willing to travel

1/8 nitro buggy
Homer Allman, Tiltyard, Travel

1/8th nitro truggy

1/8 electric buggy

Short course stock

Short cource mod
Old 10-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Make old ideas new

I a hard core racer for a short thime. In the begining racers supported each other. I have seen that fall off in the past two years. It seems every one wants to only run localy. I think in order for this thing to work we need to go to different tracks and show some support.

I think in the off season Track owners and club presidents need to get to geather and come up with a schedule that would allow for other orgainizations to come to thier track and run. We all can still have our own points races but at least once a month some one should hold a trophy race. Make the schedules so if you can't make one weekend then the next some one in the net work will be running a weekend you can make it to. In all gents we will have to work together on this if we want to keep it going.

Some thing to think about. Make the races a family event. Rent a moon walk for the kids, bring out the grills. There's lots we can do we just need to make it happen for on and off road.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Wow I didn't realize I was the only racer left.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Finally, someone has started a thread about what is talked about everywhere....the fact that RC racing is dead. I've been racing in the DMV for the past 15 years, racing everything from 1/18th scale micro to 1/10 nitro and todays race crowed is about as thin and spread out as I have ever seen it. I think this is the result of a few things. One, all of the different classes that have popped up. Two, the economy. Three, technology moving faster than most peoples pockets can dish out the money.

Homer Allman, great plan hope something can get a kickstarted from this...

Thomas Keiser, The Track (Gaithersburg, Md), will travel

1/10 rubber tire sedan
1/12 scale stock/mod
1/10 scale nitro sedan
Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Seems like everyone just wants to hit races that are bigger than your normal club race, club racing has died this year. Seemed like the RC Pro Series events and the Roar events were the only ones that were drawing a consistant group of racers. A few other speacialty events at some of the tracks in PA and DE had some larger crowds also.

1/8 nitro buggy
Brian Miskolczi, Awesome RC, Travel

1/8th nitro truggy

1/8 electric buggy

Short course stock

Short cource mod
Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Thomas Keiser, The Track (Gaithersburg, Md), will travel

1/10 rubber tire sedan
1/12 scale stock/mod
1/10 scale nitro sedan

1/8 nitro buggy

1/8th nitro truggy
1/8 electric buggy
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Once we identify the racers we need to figure out which tracks plans to host races in 2011. If we have known racers and known tracks we can work on race dates that don't conflict. We would throw the calendar out there and each track would get to pick a date and then it starts over again. These dates would be the races the identified racers run next year. If a track goes out on their own and don't comply with the select dates they know they aren't going to get a turnout.

The work begins here and I'm willing to step up. We can't have a big race everyweekend in our region. We could have one every two weeks though.

If you are a trackowner that wants to take place in the region 2 rebuild speak up.

Tiltyard
Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

Unfortunately, in Northern New Jersey we are trying to keep a carpet track alive into the winter, but where are the racers? Maybe there should be a cooperative schedule between clubs and hobby shop tracks to ensure survival. That worked back in the 80's when there was a south jersey rc racing association, Long Island Model Racing Association, and the series east.

Without the internet, these clubs thrived off of a mailing list and a newsletter. We had to depend on the WRAM show in westchester ny to find out about races and clubs.

Yes, the bigger events get turnout, but the ROAR races, IIC and Cleveland have seen a drop in entries, and now Cleveland has added oval? Who would have seen that coming.

I think this boils down to too many classes and rc racing options.

Just an opinion from a leftover 80's racer who used to travel 2-6 hours to race every weekend back in the day.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

I agree maybe we get together and schedule races in different places with no conflicts. I had to cancel the on road race in Richmond Va yesterday we had 6 people show up. We run 1/10 and 1/8th nitro and electric touring, we have a big track but have to set it up and tear it down. I think that hurts us some. Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.