Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tracks Dead: Call 911!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Default Tracks Dead: Call 911!

I need help understanding how other tracks/clubs around the country deal with a problem we have at our local track on-road asphalt track, formally the "SugarBowl", the only one for maybe a 100 mile radius of Atlanta. Though this track officially closed a couple of years ago the owner allows us to use the track. The track itself is good for 1/10th TC (nitro and electric) as well as 1/8th nitro. There was a club of sorts for a short while but those elected to run it quickly lost interest, which put all the tasks on me (again). My role with the club was as race director, which was timing and scoring and announcing.

One problem we have, and I say it’s a big problem, is on race day people showing up only to get in some practice, then pack up and leave when the race starts. We only schedule 2 races per month and anybody can go to this track at any time any day they want to practice. Guess they like race day because the track is prepped for racing. Because on-road racing has declined in the area this affects those who do show up to “race”. At first the number of heats we ran dropped off which causes problems for the nitro classes having pit persons and corner marshals. Then as those there to race get discouraged with the low turnouts and quit coming it’s come to the point where there’s not enough to race at all.

When I complained about this and asked that on race day they should show up to race and not just to practice, I was criticized, accused of being overbearing, bossy and one sided, bashed on the forum and verbally attacked at the track. The bad part is some of this “practice only bunch” are our better drivers, some with sponsorship. They say it’s dead and not worth the effort to try. They don’t seem to understand how much influence they have on other drivers and with just a little effort they could help more than they think. Instead they openly boast all they want to do is “out of town “ racing.

I don’t know, maybe their right, maybe it is dead. Perhaps I should see it see it like they say and give up the fight!

Is this happening somewhere else? If so how is it dealt with? Is it just here and my fault? Not everyone is ready to give up. How can we put the life back into this hobby?

Last edited by Bob Malphurs; 10-12-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default dead track

Hey Bob, I can't say we have that problem, but my thought it, is there any way you can charge a practice fee?? I know at some tracks they do. The other thing is how long before you sugar the track prior to racing?? I start about an hour before racing. I would explain to these racers that it cost money to prep the track.
Duck
Old 10-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So you are running into the same problem that many other tracks face these days..

My local track basically only has practice days, and "big" races so there isn't really organised club racing

Turnouts can be rough because usually sedan guys know other sedan guys, so they don't have pit men from 8th scale so you can't run a long main which people don't want to wear out that much gear anyway or people would actually have to make friends.. its hard

We all know a nice grooved track is ideal to run on, the sponsored drivers should really be the one stepping up to groove the track for the others. I know that I run tank after tank on a crap track to get it going but too many people are too good to run on a green track so then a lack of attendance makes them stop coming because it's not nationals traction.

Sorry I can't help, I think you already know how it is right now. I see the same guys at the same races more or less.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

It would be nice to see the winner of a club points season be honored with a full sponsorship for a year. Maybe from some of the larger distributors in the area. I think it would help the clubs not only survive but grow. I know back in the day Ron Paris would do this for our club. And the sponsored drivers need to not only be there, but race the full race day.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs
I need help understanding how other tracks/clubs around the country deal with a problem we have at our local track on-road asphalt track, formally the "SugarBowl", the only one for maybe a 100 mile radius of Atlanta. Though this track officially closed a couple of years ago the owner allows us to use the track. The track itself is good for 1/10th TC (nitro and electric) as well as 1/8th nitro. There was a club of sorts for a short while but those elected to run it quickly lost interest, which put all the tasks on me (again). My role with the club was as race director, which was timing and scoring and announcing.

One problem we have, and I say it’s a big problem, is on race day people showing up only to get in some practice, then pack up and leave when the race starts. We only schedule 2 races per month and anybody can go to this track at any time any day they want to practice. Guess they like race day because the track is prepped for racing. Because on-road racing has declined in the area this affects those who do show up to “race”. At first the number of heats we ran dropped off which causes problems for the nitro classes having pit persons and corner marshals. Then as those there to race get discouraged with the low turnouts and quit coming it’s come to the point where there’s not enough to race at all.

When I complained about this and asked that on race day they should show up to race and not just to practice, I was criticized, accused of being overbearing, bossy and one sided, bashed on the forum and verbally attacked at the track. The bad part is some of this “practice only bunch” are our better drivers, some with sponsorship. They say it’s dead and not worth the effort to try. They don’t seem to understand how much influence they have on other drivers and with just a little effort they could help more than they think. Instead they openly boast all they want to do is “out of town “ racing.

I don’t know, maybe their right, maybe it is dead. Perhaps I should see it see it like they say and give up the fight!

Is this happening somewhere else? If so how is it dealt with? Is it just here and my fault? Not everyone is ready to give up. How can we put the life back into this hobby?

You can't force anyone to race but you can have them pay for track fees....
Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

The "pay to practice" idea doesn't really help the racing. Some were willing while others argued, "why should we". There's really not much overhead so the money isn't that important to us.

Back a few years’ different companies sponsored my son and we enjoyed a lot of benefits. It was made clear by most that not only were we expected to make 5 or 6 major events but was expected to maintain an active local schedule as well. After all this was where the market was. Maybe this dosen't apply anymore.

One problem we have with doing any kind of big race is we never know when the bulldozers will come. So we can't plan to far ahead.

And believe it or not we have a chance at a track in a county park that's an older ball field with great lights, bathrooms, concession stand, power and the whole thing including the asphalt and driver stand paid for by the city! And I still can't get much response from these guys! I asked a couple of the guys that lived in that county and/or city that it would beneficial if they could help because local interest would go a long way in the counties decision. That was a waste of breath on my part!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can we get a ballpark figure? How many racers per weekend are we talking about?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

opps

Last edited by msbeckysboy; 10-13-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: BS
Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

bs

Last edited by msbeckysboy; 10-13-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: bs
Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by msbeckysboy
Pay , we where paying .

That's what I said. The race director cannot dictate who actually stays for the whole day to race.... He can just make sure that everyone pays....
It would be nice if people stayed to race for club races though
Old 10-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

We have 7 people to race... The track is back in the woods and you need a 4X4 to get to ,the drive way is washed out. People you make up your mines.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PrimeAKF11
Can we get a ballpark figure? How many racers per weekend are we talking about?
I'm one of those racers and on a good day we might have 10 nitro touring and 4 IGTs. THAT's A GOOD DAY!!!!!

If 3 racers come for a couple of hours then leave it wouldn't be a big deal if we had say........25 racers on race day. Point is we don't have many nitro on road racers here in Georgia. In the last 2 years we've only picked up maybe 10 new racers and only maybe 3 still race.

Last edited by quietstorm76; 10-12-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs
The "pay to practice" idea doesn't really help the racing. Some were willing while others argued, "why should we". There's really not much overhead so the money isn't that important to us.

Back a few years’ different companies sponsored my son and we enjoyed a lot of benefits. It was made clear by most that not only were we expected to make 5 or 6 major events but was expected to maintain an active local schedule as well. After all this was where the market was. Maybe this dosen't apply anymore.

One problem we have with doing any kind of big race is we never know when the bulldozers will come. So we can't plan to far ahead.

And believe it or not we have a chance at a track in a county park that's an older ball field with great lights, bathrooms, concession stand, power and the whole thing including the asphalt and driver stand paid for by the city! And I still can't get much response from these guys! I asked a couple of the guys that lived in that county and/or city that it would beneficial if they could help because local interest would go a long way in the counties decision. That was a waste of breath on my part!
Clarify "These Guys" Who are you referring to? Who dropped the ball on the Henry County track?????
Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

The reason we do not stay to race is the driver is 7 years old .
Practice makes perfect .
Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

WOW!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.