Wiki Posts
Search

Pennsauken Hobbies Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmcvicker
I think Pennsauken will do well - and can help grow the hobby a bit in this area. Philly is a big place and the 'local' MB crowd may not travel but I'm thinking it will wane as NJ grows. I'm going to be objective - I want to race at a track that offers more of an interesting layout, mainly. I can't travel to Mimis or Coliseum much but want to hit a track that can get me ready for events down there in the future. Penn can do that. I'll definitely be coming over the bridge for some racing in NJ. I have a coworker or two who live in the Cherry Hill area who may want to take a look, maybe get into it also (my office is in Mt. Laurel, NJ). If the mileage to one track or the other is the same - folks will probably gravitate to the more interesting layout which is more fun to race on - and if the classes are good-sized, even better.

Think about some of the NJ guys who drive to MB Saturdays - if their budget lets them run once a week, they'll hit Pennsy (call it whatever - it's got to have a better name than Pennsauken Hobbies RC Race Track - someone should name the track to a useful name like "Jersey RC" - something catchy like they did at The Track or The Coliseum).

I know I'll try to hit both and would like to see more RC around Philly.
I see your point as far any racers from Jersey are concerned, but Pennsauken Hobbies is an option(which there are few, if, any at all) for those racers, possible new racers, former racers (which there are a lot of ) or any other racer who goes to another track. The problem isn't racers leaving one track for another - its getting new racers into the hobby, old racers back into the hobby and racing at your given track. No matter where I race, I'm always trying to get someone new into the hobby. If, we put our focus on getting "new blood" in racing and not trying to keep the current racers at our home track, the numbers would increase to a point where it doesn't matter, if, five racers decide to race somewhere else. Ultimately, our hobby / sport is dictated by someone's ability to produce disposable income (especially, in these economically challenged times ). That being said, you're going to go where you money can take you and give you the biggest bang for your buck. I know I am.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kewdawg
you're going to go where you money can take you and give you the biggest bang for your buck. I know I am.
well said
Old 01-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Very nice track guys, glad to see you were able to get it going. You may have saved me from selling my t2 007
Old 01-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
Very nice track guys, glad to see you were able to get it going. You may have saved me from selling my t2 007
Good stuff! Hope to see you over at Pennsauken Hobbies real soon!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Alright Quinn, got anything else we should know? Also when will you be there giving driving lessons? J/K

Guys, the track is still a work in progress. I'm sure all HELPFUL info. will be welcomed by the track owner, Tonie Henry. We did some testing on the track yesterday and, without any traction compound (there is currently a no traction compound rule), the cars handled really well. I'm not sure what type of carpet is being used. Also, I believe it's been treated with something to enhance grip. We tested all classes of cars from 1/10 touring car rubber and foam to 1/14 and 1/18 scale micro. For the 1st run, I tested my touring car using a 10.5 brushless motor, Sorex 28 rubber tires with double one-ways, 25 lb. springs, 45 wt. oil (front), 35 wt. oil (rear). The car really lacked good rear traction and maintained a good amount drift throughout. After changing to a spool up front, 20 lb. rear springs and standing up the rear shocks to the next to last hole (from it's original position in the middle holes), the car faired much better. The 1/10 foam car using d. pink/orange (front), d. pink (rear) had a slight, but manageable, slide going into high speed corners, but was a lot more stable. I tested the 1/12 scale using Parma magenta (front), pink (rear) tires, .020 front springs, red center shock spring with 30 wt. oil and 30,000 wt. lube in the side dampeners. The car had a good amount of traction, throughout. The car was tight and oversteered, off-power, entry to mid corner - which, I thought, was a product of set-up and not inconsistent traction level. The track has an uneven section in the the last 1/3 of the straight goin into the sweeper, that unsettles the cars a good amount (especially, the 1/12 scales). The ride height of the cars needed to be increased to compensate.The carpet in this area will need to be addressed. Again, this is a work in progress which means improvements and changes to better the track are being made on a daily basis. Our test sessions are being done to find out what needs to be done. If, anyone has an opportunity to get over to the track and do a little testing / feedback session, please do so. The owner and track will greatly benefit from your input. Tonie (the owner) is looking to have official racing this weekend. So contact the shop and track for any info.

Hobby shop/Track info:
Pennsauken Hobbies
5921 Westfield Ave
Pennsauken , NJ 08110

Phone: 1 (856)-661-1777
Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Lessons are already available just pm him with your name, number and credit card number to schedule an appointment! Act fast spaces are limited!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by G87z
Alright Quinn, got anything else we should know? Also when will you be there giving driving lessons? J/K
Originally Posted by 87stanggt
Lessons are already available just pm him with your name, number and credit card number to schedule an appointment! Act fast spaces are limited!!!
You guys don't need anymore lessons. Like "Phast Phil", your training wheels are now off and have been burned.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Good stuff! Hope to see you over at Pennsauken Hobbies real soon!
Ill will definatly try to come out before the end of the indoor season for 1/12 however touring maybe a stretch. I need to get some batteries, esc and tires. so we will have to see.

will lipo be alowed in all touring classses?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
Ill will definatly try to come out before the end of the indoor season for 1/12 however touring maybe a stretch. I need to get some batteries, esc and tires. so we will have to see.

will lipo be alowed in all touring classses?
Absolutely!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Who's coming sunday?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I may have missed a note in the thread, but let's talk pits.

what kind of pit-area is there? Does a person have to bring "everything" or are there tables, chairs and so on? Long electric cord? Tx. I think I'd like to come out with my son Adam on Sunday for stock 12th scale.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

You may want to bring a chair with you but tables should be cool. I'll post a picture of the pit area tomorrow night.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Perhaps I've glanced over this while watching this thread develop. What time do you guys anticipate starting on Sundays? Hows the parking around this area? Do you guys have a lot, or is it "Meter" parking/city parking passes?

"Maybe" I'll swing out sometime in the future to race and bang as many walls as I can someday..
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Team Speedy
Perhaps I've glanced over this while watching this thread develop. What time do you guys anticipate starting on Sundays? Hows the parking around this area? Do you guys have a lot, or is it "Meter" parking/city parking passes?

"Maybe" I'll swing out sometime in the future to race and bang as many walls as I can someday..
Hey danny racing start about 1 and parking is all street no meters why wait come down and check it out sunday. If you don't racing cool just come check out the track and hang out with us. Tonie always has a Football game on in the hobby shop.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Hmmmm... Very interesting, to say the least. Hopefully I'll be able to get there a few times to run some 1/12 scale.

Looks like this track has some potential - can't wait to see it in person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.