Wiki Posts
Search

RCGT USA

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RCGT USA

With the growing interest of RCGT in both ends of the continent, there should be some discussion on this special class for all to follow. With a lot of bodies available to the public especially the EXOTIC cars, it is deemed appropriate to expand our already diverse on-road classes to promote the "shelf queen" bodies we always wished we can race, whether it is the Nissan Skyline or the Corvette to the Uber Exotic Pagani Zonda, they all now have a home with our local tracks. Always wanted to run the cool five spoke deep dish wheels and not the plain dish? No problem. Always wanted to run a cheap, great gripping tire you can run for a season? No Problem. Wanted to still run your older chassis but feel it is out of date? No Problem. RCGT allows you to run the "REALISTIC" class, pretty much the main reason why we all started in RC to begin with, and not worry about spending a lot of cash to have fun. Interested yet?

Here in California, we have been running RCGT in four local tracks with much success as well as a couple of BIG trophy races since it's introduction at the beginning of the year. Because of it's low initial start up costs, it has become one of the most popular classes here in Southern Cal. I would now like to invite EVERYONE to expand your racing program and include RCGT to your Racing Arsenal. Not only will common folk recognize the type of car you are driving, but ultimately draw interest in the hobby. Heck, who wouldn't mind driving a replica RC of their own car?

Here are a few simple rules to run this class adapted from the HPI website that we run here.

RCGT
The concept of this class is to have a realistic/scale race class that looks like it's full scale GT/Touring Car counterpart.
-Any 4wd 1/10th scale electric or nitro chassis
-Any realistic bodies:190mm or 200mm (no Stratus, Mazda 6 race bodies).
-Any 26mm spoked wheels:any offset from 0mm-10mm(no dish wheels)
-HPI #4790 D-Compound X-Pattern Radial Tires*inserts optional, although not needed
-Kit Lexan wing (cut to stock cut line) or Any plastic wing set only.
-27 turn motor limit (brushless allowed, 17.5 min. per ROAR rules).
-Any 6 cell NiMh or 2s 7.4V Lipo allowed.
-Any chassis option parts allowed.

Yes, they are that cool! So here is a thread Just for RCGT. The time has come to bring RCGT to the world! For questions, Comments, Suggestions, or plain FLOSSING your RCGT Whip, this is your new home.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

THANKS for posting this Charlie! This will give good insite to those that have been asking questions about the RCGT class. I look for it to become a hit here here in east-coast USA. The RCGT AND Vintage TA are two classes that will surely set asphalt/carpet racing back to the pace it was once on. The avenues RCGT offers are incredible, and for that alone I'm seeing it bringing in huge participation numbers!
Wow, it will be so easy to race this class even for those just getting into RC...For the newbie its as easy as getting an RTR , swap out the motor, 2 or 3 stick pack batteries, and pick up one of the MANY approved RCGT bodies, and you're racin! Damn sure an all win situation.

Those D1GP styled numbers shown on the GTR, Subie, and FD RX7...Where can one get those?

Last edited by DJ919; 10-05-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

HPI made those for them, but i can make short run stickers as well if you want some. LMK.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

I'd love to race a replica of my real car. Hey HPI, I need an Acura TL body.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by charlie_b
HPI made those for them, but i can make short run stickers as well if you want some. LMK.
Oh yeah, I want some...Let me know what to do, and I'll put in an order.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah babY!!!! RCGT will be a great compliment to our USVTA class!

Our area has always been rich with R/C racers that have older stuff sitting on the shelf, waiting for an excuse to be wrenched on....

We already have plans to run both classes on a regular basis....
Old 10-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Nice Pics! BTW, an 01' Suburban body would be nice to have. The 2WD version.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I'm set

I even got the "proper" rims/tires coming in the mail

I am even thinking about upgrading the body to a F430 or even a FXX - assuming I can find either at a decent price
Old 10-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

k_bojar...what is so good about this class is that ALL Tamiya Left Over cars are LEGAL here. Just tires and stock motor and you are good to go.

Here is something i wanted to bring up and have you guys give your opinions.
The motors are kept at stock for 3 reasons:
1. To keep is simple
2. To keep the cars handling well(faster they go, less control on a low downforce body)
3. To have the closest racing possible to keep the realism to the maximum.

The motor rule should stay i think but will it be beneficial IF we had 2 classes form RCGT? Something along the lines of say amateur and expert? Maybe call the expert class GT1 and amateur GT2? Here in California, we have kept one class, and it works fine for the most part. If there is enough participation to separate the classes, do you think this would help this class? What do you all think? ALL rules apply to both classes, just driver skill level will be different. Comments please.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Hey Charlie,
Running two classes from the same platform is always a good but touchy subject. I'm a fan Japanese GT Championship in which they have the two power-plant classes...The GT300 class were the GT cars max @ 300hp...Then there's the GT500 class were the GT cars max @ 500hp ... Keeping things true to scale, the same can be played with as far as RC motor power...27Turns/17.5s could be considered a RCGT Stock class. The 19Turns or 10.5s could be considered RCGT Pro-Stock or Mild Mod class. Or simply call them GT1 & GT2. Any racer of on any skill level could race in either of the two classes or both. I wouldn't go with the "pro/amateur" tags, because I'm sure there will be some racers in the lesser power division getting better lap times than racers running big currents. I would just leave the two divisions open to any RCGT racer.
The only thing that worries me about about splitting into classes is that RCGT over here will be in its "starting out stages"...I'm wondering if a class split would be too early at this point. Once the participating numbers are up, than I would be guessing it would be no problem to run 2 power plant divisions of RCGT...Just my guess and opinion ...Ray , K.Bo and some of the others will have great experience input on this as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9BQeCQiF0g JGTC

Last edited by DJ919; 10-06-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Yes yes, please give some input guys...the more we research this, the better handle we have on this class. The only reason we stayed with stock/17.5 is because of the realistic low downforce bodies...might have some down force issues...but then again, maybe not. What we found was the faster the cars went, only the bodies that worked were used and defeats the purpose of diversity. we dont wanna another mazda 6/stratus class. I do agree though, for starting out, keep it one class in the beginning. Once the class grows and more participate...it should be at least considered.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

I would probably lean more toward keeping it a 27T/17.5 class just to keep the speeds down. I agree with charlie_b that cars will handle so much better, and last longer, if we can limit the power.

Another thing we have to keep in mind is that both charlie and I are partial to parking lot tracks, and there usually isn't enough real estate available, to set up big tracks, so stockers will be more than we ever need in these situations.

As far as newbies, we can always set up a "RCGT Sport" (or GT-1, GT-2, whatever we call it) class, just to give the brand new guys a place to race while they get the hang of organized racing.

We can also run RCGT and RCGT Sport together, and score them seperately if there isn't enough of either class.

People who would be eligible for the newbie class would be at the discretion of the class directors...
Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We support both classes. Plus more interested would be generated for guys running at large tracks such as Blue Diamond and Jackson R/C. The common theme around here is that guys are getting tired of dish wheels and Mazda 6 bodies. Plus 27T and 19T are the only motors that have true brushless alternatives.

GT2---17.5/27T
GT1---10.5/19T

Plus you will get a lot of cross over from the Tamiya TCS and HPI Challenge series.

One recommendation: GT2 - spec tire. GT1 - open 24 mm/non dish/non Jaco Prism.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
We support both classes. Plus more interested would be generated for guys running at large tracks such as Blue Diamond and Jackson R/C. The common theme around here is that guys are getting tired of dish wheels and Mazda 6 bodies. Plus 27T and 19T are the only motors that have true brushless alternatives.

GT2---17.5/27T
GT1---10.5/19T

Plus you will get a lot of cross over from the Tamiya TCS and HPI Challenge series.

With the spec tires being open in GT1, there will probably be the "Hot Tire" thing going..then only the ones that have access to that "Hot Tire" will be the ones handling well. I think since HPI originally got this class going, it is only fair and out of respect for HPI that we at least use their tires. It is the same compound as the Vintage tires and work very well. Im glad people are throwing ideas out there..i can not wait until it is all done and we will ahve an official RCGT class run across the country. This is getting exciting. If Andy or anyone from HPI or Tamiya want to chime in, please do. We would love your input as well.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TeamB&B

GT2---17.5/27T
GT1---10.5/19T

I should have mentioned that yes, larger permanant tracks would be better suited with 10.5/19T motors because of their size, and each track should do what will work best for them, to get more people OUT to race!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.