Search
Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
I think when Toby said Type B, he meant the B3's that were the spec tire these last two years. The 24mm Type B was discontinued at least 4-5 years ago. I know "a friend" who still has a few sets left sealed in zip-loc bags. The Type B the person was referring to for Novice class is the 26mm Type B. The tires we ran at TQ for carpet were Type C's. Got that all straight now ? There will be a test.

Panda
I think rzein tried the 26mm type B so I assumed that tire. 26mm type B MSRP for $22 bucks a pair without insert on Tamiya America and racing slicks 51049 MSRP for $8.25 a pair. 50419 the current spec novice legal radials MSRP at $10 a pair without inserts actually cost more than 51049. I think shops usually sell Tamiya products at a 10% to 20% discount so the 51049 seems like a pretty good deal. Just add a set of Tamiya 24mm wheel and you should be good to go. Grip is a big enough improvement over the current tire choices and should last at least twice as long, and not really cost any more than the current tire. I will bring out a set to test at Tamiya hopefully this weekend to see if these previous experiences are accurate.

I know the intent for spec novice tire choice is you can buy one of the cheap TT01 or TT02 kits with body and be able to race on the kit included tires and motor. However I feel the included tire will most likely not be able to last past a weekend of practice which kind of defeats the purpose since you'll most likely already burned through a set before the new people actually got a feel for driving it on track. Having decent tires also means it will be less likely to lose control and break the car during practice which also helps interest retention.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Tech Initiate

I had a suggestion for tires for the Spec Novice class. My kids ran last weekend and used the racing radials without foams, and they experienced pretty much what everyone else mentioned. A good possibility for the Spec Novice tire would be Tamiya #93032 (5-Spoke Wheel w/Cemented Tire 24mm, 4 pcs). These are reasonably priced (usually around $25/set) and last fairly long. This way a spec novice driver could purchase 2 sets, one for practice and one for the race cheaper than the Tamiya 1015 pre-mounts for other classes. This way all of them would be running on the same, decent set of tires with an insert, and would have a better time driving these cars.
tobyzhang and 76jimmy like this.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Vta Steve1
I had a suggestion for tires for the Spec Novice class. My kids ran last weekend and used the racing radials without foams, and they experienced pretty much what everyone else mentioned. A good possibility for the Spec Novice tire would be Tamiya #93032 (5-Spoke Wheel w/Cemented Tire 24mm, 4 pcs). These are reasonably priced (usually around $25/set) and last fairly long. This way a spec novice driver could purchase 2 sets, one for practice and one for the race cheaper than the Tamiya 1015 pre-mounts for other classes. This way all of them would be running on the same, decent set of tires with an insert, and would have a better time driving these cars.
Hi all
Euro tcs racer here
In the past we used to run the 26mm tires and I recognise your(all of you) remarks
We actually do run the 24mm radial preglued set now
Which is a huge improvement
Though they also wear
But traction is already great step forward
Although preglued A or B(3)'s seem expensive in TT stock they hardly wear

The car control for beginners does indeed make it easier for them on these 24mm radials. Thus having less crashes and more fun.
Carl Giordano and tobyzhang like this.

Last edited by PizzaDude; 08-12-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:37 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We will be making a spec tire change for the NOVICE CLASS in 2018.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:38 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

There has been a change to the M-Chassis spec tire regulations. The original intent was for each racer in the class to build their sets of tires at the event once they bought the tire pack from us. It was a similar rule as to what is done at the Tamiya World Championships. You buy your tire, wheel and insert, then you go to a glue station and build your tires in front of the tech people.

We have elected to scrap the idea. Instead, we are gluing the tires for you. Former TCS Mini National Champion and now one of Tamiya America’s finest, has done the work for you. Deven has built the 2017 TCS Finals specification tire for you using the exact items specified in the rules. The insert has been glued together to make a complete doughnut using contact cement. The Suzuki white wheel has been scuffed on the bead area for maximum glue adhesion. Fresh AKA Super Glue has been used to make the final bond.

These assembled and glued race spec tires will be available for purchase beginning at 8:00am Thursday morning. Tire sales will end at NOON Thursday. On Friday, tire sales resume at 8:00am till 4:00 pm. On Saturday tire sales begin at 7:00am.

Once you buy the tires, the tag on each set will be recorded. The maximum amount of tagged sets you can qualify and race with is 2, as outlined in the rules. Practice tires will also be available for purchase. However, they are not pre-built. You must glue them together yourself. You know how we built yours, so duplicating it should not be a problem for you. You can buy as many practice tires, wheels and inserts as you wish or you can practice with whatever you already own.

The price of the spec assembled tire is $30.00 for a set of four and it includes tax.

Lastly, the race sets of tires have been built with great care by a former racer. He knows what he is doing, so there is no issue with quality control regarding assembly. YOU MAY add glue to the beads if you so wish. That is up to you. As stated in the rules, you may also glue the sidewalls, but the glue may not touch the horizontal contact patch of the tire.

See you all next week!

Fred M.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

I'm building premounts for the Mini class
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-20170816_152925_resized.jpg  
Old 08-16-2017, 08:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. devenwhite
Wow! I get a CA headache after two sets. I can't imagine doing this. Your dedication is amazing!
Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. devenwhite
Make sure Fred gives you a big fan for ventilation and either a Red Bull or Monster Energy IV line to keep you going.

Panda
Old 08-17-2017, 02:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
We will be making a spec tire change for the NOVICE CLASS in 2018.
Thank you Fred!!! A fantastic decision that I'm certain should improve the race experience for novice racers
Old 08-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Solaris S-T36JGM4W TCS National Spec tires are back in stock now.

FYI, thanks.

https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod...asp?p_id=11642

Old 08-17-2017, 11:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Tires for fwd and gt2

I see that the Solaris tire is the spec tire, do we purchase them at the track and how much per set and are these also the tires for fwd. Last year the fwd tire was b3 then I find out that you could run type a on the rear, is this still the rule or are we only allowed to run the spec tire all around this year.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrod
I see that the Solaris tire is the spec tire, do we purchase them at the track and how much per set and are these also the tires for fwd. Last year the fwd tire was b3 then I find out that you could run type a on the rear, is this still the rule or are we only allowed to run the spec tire all around this year.
Last year we allowed the type A in the rear because we can't generate temperature in the rear when weather is too cold. With Solaris we will have no such issue and will be required on every corner of the car.

Last edited by tobyzhang; 08-18-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:33 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

To all Tamiya Championship Series Finals attendees,

It has come to my attention, there seems to be an aura of intensity at the Tamiya track facility during our open practice on Saturdays leading up to the TCS Finals. This email is to remind all of our customers, including those who are avid supporters and participants of our Tamiya Championship Series, that the track is there for ALL of our guests to enjoy. Just because the TCS Finals is approaching, it does not mean we want to drive away or discourage new hobbyists from using our facility. Official practice is Thursday and Friday (August 24-25). At that time, we will only allow those registered for the Finals. Until that time, regular customers are allowed to use the facility to their hearts content. I encourage you to check your tempers if a new person is having trouble navigating the track. If a new person is not in control, DO NOT intimidate them. Instead, tutor them. If a youngster is having an issue, do not go directly to them. Instead tutor the parent. Lastly, be mindful of those having trouble. Wait until there are in the pits to take your series hot laps.

I want the Tamiya track facility to remain a fun and welcoming place. I know most of you on some personal level or another. I appreciate all the support and hope you can help me help keep the atmosphere fun.

Thank you all and see you next week!

Fred M.
OSherman, HobbyPLEX, Tron and 1 others like this.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrod
Yes, the Solaris are the spec sedan tire at TCS Nationals for GT-1, GT-2, FF and GT Pro Spec. You can bring your own for Thursday and Friday practice but you have to run tires bought at the track, that will be marked, for Qualifying and Mains. It's in the TCS 2017 Nationals Driver's manual Fred posted on an earlier post.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...ostcount=21052

Panda
Old 08-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I believe the non-trip winning and 'exhibition' FF class can use tires we already have (Solaris Spec) for the event. Do not have to buy new ones at the event, but will be available if need be..

Trip winning classes: GT1, GT2 and Mini must buy their Event Tires for Qualifying and Mains at the event..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.