R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Racing Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum-6/)
-   -   Hobby Shops in Honolulu Hawaii ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/146590-hobby-shops-honolulu-hawaii.html)

Losiho 01-26-2007 05:33 PM

Hobby Shops in Honolulu Hawaii ?

Hi all,

I'll be in Hawaii for 10 days in February 2007.
I was last in Waikiki in 1996. I visited Sandy Fleming's Fast Elec-Tricks in Pearl City. I had awesome fun, spending heaps on lotsa goodies :nod:

I have no complaints about Sandy Fleming's - they were courteous, friendly, and had lots of go fast goodies - but they are a little too far from Waikiki.

What do you guys recommend ? The other options seem to be Hobbietat or Aloha Hobbies - does anyone have any experiences with them ? Which one would be closer to Waikiki ?

I'm not after anything in particular, just whatever catches my eye on the day - although I definitely want a store that deals with either on or off road cars.

Cheers :)

InspGadgt 01-26-2007 05:37 PM

Hobbietat is closest to Waikiki.

gerok 01-26-2007 09:15 PM

There are only a few hobby shops on whole island of Oahu, some specializing in cars and trucks, or both. You'll notice that you need to either jump around hobby shops to find a particular part, or order it online. I've been to almost every hobby shop, and majority of the time if I need something small, I had to order it online. Some of the great shops are Advance Graphics (drift goodies,) Aloha Hobbies, Sandy Flemmings, TRCC, and Hobbietat. Being that you'll be in Waikiki, the drive isn't bad at all - Sandy Flemmings being the farthest, which is about a 35 min drive from Waikiki. If you need the numbers, let me know.

Losiho 01-26-2007 09:37 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Don't worry gerok, I've already googled the addresses and phone numbers of the shops around Honolulu ;) Plus I still have the business card from Sandy Fleming's I got in 1996 - is Dave Caldwell still there ?

I also have a general question for the group - I will be bringing my digital camera and mobile / cell phone along with me, and their chargers. As many of you know, Australia uses 240 volts, the USA 110 volts.

Now I know you'll fry your appliance if you plug a 110v appliance into a 240v socket....but what about a 240v into a 110v socket ? I'm guessing that it won't work at all, or if it does, it will take twice as long to charge the battery as it usually does.

Does anyone know for sure ? :confused:

fathead 01-26-2007 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Losiho
Thanks for the replies guys.

Don't worry gerok, I've already googled the addresses and phone numbers of the shops around Honolulu ;) Plus I still have the business card from Sandy Fleming's I got in 1996 - is Dave Caldwell still there ?

I also have a general question for the group - I will be bringing my digital camera and mobile / cell phone along with me, and their chargers. As many of you know, Australia uses 240 volts, the USA 110 volts.

Now I know you'll fry your appliance if you plug a 110v appliance into a 240v socket....but what about a 240v into a 110v socket ? I'm guessing that it won't work at all, or if it does, it will take twice as long to charge the battery as it usually does.

Does anyone know for sure ? :confused:

I know my mobile's charger is a 240/110 (a GX25) it switches automatically, all you will need is a US adapter, charging takes the same time.
It's possible your camera has a auto switching charger as well, look at the labels on your chargers it should tell you.

InspGadgt 01-26-2007 11:33 PM

Yes Dave is still there

wrxnfx 01-27-2007 12:23 AM

Currently, Dave is on a trip for another two weeks. Depending on when you visit, he may or may not be there. You should call him before making your trek down there and his number hasn't changed. He still has tons of stuff, so much so that you can't really walk into the shop. He also usually doesn't open until 12PM and (tuesday & wednesday, he's usually closed). If Dave isn't there, TRCC is very nearby and is a decent place to go.

Advance Graphics in Hypersports is pretty close to Waikiki, but he usually doesn't stock much stuff. He does give really good prices, though.

Aloha Hobbies has quite a bit of stuff, but you have to bargain with the owner to get a good deal.

Hobbietat is kind of expensive, but they have some different items that the other shops don't.

Losiho 01-27-2007 12:36 AM

Thanks guys.

I'll be there from the 14th - 25th Feb.

wrxnfx 01-27-2007 02:43 AM

Dave should be back by then. Hopefully, he'll open. Nowadays, he kind of comes and goes as he pleases.

TSR6 01-27-2007 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Yes Dave is still there

Hey Insp! Glad you found this one... I was going to point the original poster to PM'ing you. :nod:

gerok 01-28-2007 07:31 AM

Dave has been here for decades :lol: Great guy, lots of parts, but just a little :rolleyes: unorganized when you step into the shop. Five feet of walking space, literally. :lol:

Losiho 01-28-2007 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by gerok
Dave has been here for decades :lol: Great guy, lots of parts, but just a little :rolleyes: unorganized when you step into the shop. Five feet of walking space, literally. :lol:

He was busy on the phone for about an hour and a half when I was there ;)