Wiki Posts
Search

2007-2008 ROAR Presidency - Carl Giordano

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default 2007-2008 ROAR Presidency - Carl Giordano

Hello active ROAR members. I’d like to take this time to introduce myself as a candidate for the 2007-2008 ROAR Presidency.

My name is Carl Giordano and I’ve been involved with competitive racing since 1989, worked for Bruckner Hobbies, NY while in school and currently the ROAR Region 2 director. I currently work in New York City for a Company called CIT Business Capital, which provide working capital lines of credit for middle market to fortune 500 companies. I’ve been fortunate over the years to have traveled extensively throughout the US as a racer, mechanic and spectator of all types of RC venues. My current passion is 1/8th Fuel On-Road and 1/10th Electric Sedan. I feel that my experiences as a racing enthusiast and as a corporate professional will enable me to build a team environment at ROAR which will allow us to develop and realize the goals which I believe will benefit ROAR as an institution and its membership. Therefore, I’m asking for your confidence and vote as President for the 2007-2008 years.

The foundation of my campaign and focus of the administration will be two fold: (i) provide “value” to ROAR members and (ii) redirect ROAR’s focus to emphasize the concept of “grass roots racing” throughout the US.

So what does this all mean? ROAR was founded by a group of racing enthusiasts who like all of us at one time gathered in a parking lot with a bunch of friends and enjoyed the spirit of competitive racing and having fun. ROAR guidelines were drafted to provide a level playing for all those involved in competitive RC racing and provide a standard for all competitors to measure each by. At the time the founders started ROAR; competitive racing was limited by the number of racing classes. Over the years, ROAR has had to adjust to and develop new guidelines to maintain a level playing field for emerging technologies and new forms of racing. I believe ROAR has done a good job in accomplishing this and everyone involved deserves our thanks, regards of the level of scrutiny which ROAR comes under from time to time. Therefore, I’m not proposing a change to the ROAR mission statement or the manner in which it establishes the guidelines. What I’m proposing is a program which I believe will strengthen ROAR’s image for “all” its members, starting at the grass roots level.

In my opinion, to improve ROAR’s image we need to strengthen its weaknesses, which are:
> Inability to attract new members
> Provides little value to the membership
> Has limited visibility at the grassroots level of racing

So let’s start. Within the 1st year (2007):

“Value Plan”: Goal is to minimize the cost of ROAR memberships for ROAR members.
• To start, ROAR retailers are established…they volunteer and ROAR has “NO” influence over their business.
• Similar to ROAR affiliated tracks, ROAR retailers will pay ROAR an equivalent fee to have their contact info listed on the ROAR website.
• The retailers will receive an e-mail listing of all valid ROAR members each month.
• The retailers will advertise on their own website or in store, what items “they” chose to provide a discount to valid ROAR members
• ROAR will have “NO” part in deciding the discount levels…etc…ROAR will only list on its website those retailers who are ROAR affiliates.

Benefits:
• Cost savings to ROAR members who use the “value plan” and purchase discounted items from ROAR retailers. Offsets the cost of their ROAR membership.
• Incentive to recreational racers who would normally have no need to join ROAR.
• Every 100 new members to ROAR or a 2% increase in annual membership = $3,000 of new fee income which can be used to promote grassroots racing or other ROAR events.
• Additional income from ROAR retailers.
• ROAR retailers gains access to 5,000+ ROAR members…creates an opportunity to increase sales on discounted and non-discounted items.

Execution Strategy: (within first 6-months of 2007)
• All membership renewals will have an option to provide their e-mail address.
• ROAR will make the “retailer affiliation” an option to every hobby shop nationwide…at a fee to be determined
• E-mail the membership of this initiative and ask their LHS to get involved.
• Update the ROAR website to include a list of the ROAR retailers.

During the 2nd year (2008)
“Grass Roots Racing Plan”: Goal, improve the racing participation at Regional Championship
• Require participation at the regional level to qualify for participation in the following year national events.
• Use ROAR funds saved by no longer mailing Rev-Up articles and additional income generated from the “value plan” to partially offset the expense to regional directors when they attend regional events.
• Regional Champions will have either their annual ROAR membership or National Race Fees waived / paid by ROAR. Format to be determined.
• More than “one” regional director for each region.

Benefits:
• Enhances the weighting meaning of the regional events
• Higher attendance at regional events thereby promoting “grassroots racing”
• Increase ROAR presence at regional events by offsetting regional director’s expenses while attending regional events.
• ROAR proceeds are allocated towards the higher percentage of racers instead of a select few.

Execution Strategy:
• Increase the number of regional directors at each region.
• Regional directors will be given an annual budget for each region…amount to be determined. The budget will be used to offset travel cost while attending regional events and used to promote the events themselves.
• Regional directors will be required to monitor results for regional championship and post to ROAR website. Regional participants then qualify for the following year regional.

There are approximately 5,000 active ROAR members, many of whom feel that their membership means very little. I hope that the goals which I’ve outlined will change their perception of ROAR. As the Region 2 director, my ability to make a difference is limited…if elected as ROAR President, we have a chance.
Attached Thumbnails 2007-2008 ROAR Presidency - Carl Giordano-carlglc.jpg  

Last edited by Carl Giordano; 09-05-2006 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Carl,
what is your position on the ROAR-RMT?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

HELL YEA!

I've known Carl since the early 90's when we both raced 1/12 scale at a little place called RC World. Carl was a top competitior then (still is) and was always willing to help out other racers, new or experienced. He has put a lot of time and effort into our sport. Carl is usually one of the first ones to help out at a track with setup or running the races. From what I have heard and read Carl has done a great job as the Region 2 director, but I will defer to the Region 2 drivers for more first hand comments.

Carl is one of the few people in this hobby that understands the hobby is more important than one driver, company, or hobby shop. He has always worked to improve the sport for everybody, not just himself. With Carl at the helm of ROAR we will begin to see the changes many have looked for. He is not the type of person who backs down from a challenge. He will stand up for the good of our sport and not fold to the special interests of a few.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Carl,

Well thought out plan and one if executed has to help ROAR evolve further.

For those non-Region 2 people Carl has done a great job keeping the Region 2 people in the loop with race reports, track information and other items of interest.

Good luck!
John
Old 09-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by richey
Carl,
what is your position on the ROAR-RMT?
ROAR-RMT (race management team).

The feedback on the RMT test run at the 2006 sedan nationals was positive. Those involved did a great job...My concern with the RMT is as follows:

> Expensive to ROAR...those involved are contracted by ROAR.
> The RMT committee only covers "national" type events.
> How do we determine which national events the RMT should attend...
> Puts ROAR at the front of criticisim if something goes wrong

GOAL of the RMT:
Was to develop a consistant monitoring team at national level ROAR events. The funding of this program was to come from money saved by eliminating the need to mail out the Rev-Up articles.

My issue with the RMT:
It only caters to 150-200 racers at best or 3-4% of the 5000 ROAR members. (and some of them are sponsored and paid to be there). I would rather see the money we save by eliminating the Rev-up mailing be used to help promote regionals races which focus on the other 97% of ROAR members.

This means:
Improve ROAR's image at the grassroots level of Racing. Put the importance of attending regional events back into ROAR racing.

> More funds available to regional directors to help them promote racing within their region. At this time, the regional directors are not compensated for their out of pocket expenses when they travel to a regional event. It's not fair to ask our Regional Directors to put on a happy face for ROAR, when they feel ROAR is not behind them.
> We need to have more than one regional director for every region.
> The face of ROAR, starts at the local level.

> ROAR has a process in place of screening national bids to be hosted by various tracks throughout the country. It is the responsibility of the host track to put on a good show and equally important for ROAR to screen those bids carefully. With the exception of a few events in recent years...ROAR has done a good job in coordinating National Events over the years.

Keep in mind ROAR has been around for over 25 years and can have upto 10-15 different "ROAR" national categories of Racing. This makes it that much more difficult to get it "RIGHT" all the time.

ROAR is not "NASCAR", our mission statement prohibits us from running races. We are a sanctioning body, designed to provide a set of guidlines to promote an equal and level playing field for all of us.

If elected, I will review the value the RMT provides and determine if it is a service which ROAR should continue to persue...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I really like the idea of qualifying for nats through the regionals.

right now it seems that all the focus it put on the national races and the regionals are a by-product.

Placing focus back on the regional races I think is a step in the right direction !
Old 09-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Carl is the man to lead ROAR into the future!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Buckyaga
I really like the idea of qualifying for nats through the regionals.

right now it seems that all the focus it put on the national races and the regionals are a by-product.

Placing focus back on the regional races I think is a step in the right direction !
That's the game plan...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Nomination Submittal

Has your name and information been formally submitted to ROAR for this position? I like your enthusiasm and your goals.

Doug
Old 09-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flack
Has your name and information been formally submitted to ROAR for this position? I like your enthusiasm and your goals.

Doug
Yes...it has been received and confirmed by Fred H.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Carl,

Right now a racer that only races one class, 1/8 off-road buggy for example, will only get to race 2 races with their $30 a year membership, regionals and nationals. Since nationals is normally far away and expensive to attend, and their is an entry limit, the majority of ROAR members don't attend. That leaves 1 race for a driver to attend for a single race membership of $15. Likewise for a business that only has 1 track, they only have the possibility of running a regional championship if other tracks request the same race. Instances like that do not make ROAR a good value.

Do you have any plans to help increase ROAR sanctioned races other than nationals or regionals?

I feel one of the problems to the lack of ROAR sanctioned races is that a track can hold a race such as "The Reedy Race Of Champions" and the "Cactus Classic" and just say "ROAR rules apply" without being a ROAR affiliated track, the racers being ROAR members, or without any compesation to ROAR for the use of its rules.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Carl,
I feel one of the problems to the lack of ROAR sanctioned races is that a track can hold a race such as "The Reedy Race Of Champions" and the "Cactus Classic" and just say "ROAR rules apply" without being a ROAR affiliated track, the racers being ROAR members, or without any compesation to ROAR for the use of its rules.
SPOT ON ..........
Old 09-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

It then makes ROAR liable and is not allowed. Which has nothing to do with the presidency in the end. The Cactus has not had this in several years. They do however follow the ROAR rule book, but it is not advertised.

But then again, advertising cannot be bad any way it is used. So I don't see why this would be a problem except for liability issues.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Yes...it has been received and confirmed by Fred H.
Who else is running for the ROAR positions?
Region2 comes to mind rather quickly...
Old 09-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Carl - You have my vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.