Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SoCal Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Mr. P
The following questions are for any one that don't mind helping me out.
Can anyone tell me what is the track size of the socal raceway?
what is the smallest practical track size for 1/10 scale(electric pan car or touring) that still offer ejoyable racing? What kind of surface(carpet, black top or concrete) that you prefer?

Thank you.
The Socal off road track is 110'x60', the on road track is also 110'x60'. On www.socalrc.com, you will be able to see what the tracks look like. When driving on the tracks, it does seem a bit tight even with these dimensions, you probably don't want to go any smaller than 100' in length or 50' in width. Carpet is great with awesome traction, asphalt requires more car tuning experience because the traction changes at different times of the day. Not a whole lot of races are held on concrete, most parking lot races here are on asphalt. Smooth concrete has no traction, and concrete that has traction is too abrasive to the tires.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

I wonder if they ever thought of putting down carpet at socal...

Also...who else thinks they should use transponders for offroad? The system used now is like from teh stone age. I hear slim press it early sometimes, sometimes late, etc.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

i think that the transponder would be great for off road i think they use it for the supercross races they have but why dont they use it for off road?
Old 02-16-2003, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

I remember from someone that worked at Socal a long time ago the reason why transponders aren't used in off road but only in on-road is because of the speed of the on-road cars going by so fast, the race director cannot count them as they go by. In off road, the cars are considerably slower so the race director can view the number on the car.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Tech Adept

It sux though. He isn't perfect at putting in the numbers, transponders are. I don't get why they just dont use them. He is early by like 1 sec sometimes, sometimes late by as much as 2 secs.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Another problem with the off road transponder use is the sensor wire placement on the track. It's difficult to place the wire at a location where it is flat, where the cars won't damage it, and also near the computer.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

I heard in June that SoCal will be putting on the KO Propo sponsored race for on-road. Has anyone heard anything about it?
Old 02-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Nope didnt hear anything about it. Hey do you run 36 or 32 Sorex's and can you use different inserts then hpi green?

thanks
Old 02-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Tech Rookie

what are the difference in handling for the stratus and the stratus 2.0 at SoCal? i just tried the stratus today and i really liked it. i have the alfa also but kinda like the stratus better. i really want to know some info on the 2.0, thanks.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by AssociatedRacer
Nope didnt hear anything about it. Hey do you run 36 or 32 Sorex's and can you use different inserts then hpi green?

thanks
I mainly run Sorex 36R's for stock racing, 32R's on a very cold night. I like the HPI greens because they are of the same firmness as the Yokomo med, but a bit larger in diameter thus filling in more of the space inside the tire. In the past before the HPI inserts because so popular, the Yokomo med were the favorites of everyone.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Tackybutkoo
what are the difference in handling for the stratus and the stratus 2.0 at SoCal? i just tried the stratus today and i really liked it. i have the alfa also but kinda like the stratus better. i really want to know some info on the 2.0, thanks.
Both Stratus bodies were designed to be neutral in handling thus allowing the driver to concentrate on the setup of the car. The Stratus 2.0 is a newer version of the regular Stratus. Protoform went to the newer 2.0 because the Dodge Stratus' that many people ride in today is a new body design. Losi's Alfa is a very aggressive body, that means that the body has alot of down force in the front giving more steering. The large wing in the rear places lots of down force to help prevent spin outs.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:32 AM
The Evicerator

Default Look who's here to crash the party

What up kiddies? Weissdog here... being bored, killing time...
Old 02-18-2003, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Does anyone like using pit tires at the track? They are a bit more expensive, but apparently they hook up really good.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've heard a few guys talk about running foams at Socal, and I'd like to know what compounds and widths seem to work.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

I used them once and wow I traction rolled everywhere. Try I think its 28 for compond

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.