Wiki Posts
Search

ORL2 WINTER BLAST TOUR

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
here's food for thought...has it come time to make the ORL strictly a summer series? with the number of big races during the winter vs the number during the summer....maybe its a thought. I can tell you that even if Dave or myself don't want to see that happen...we might not have any choice. No racers = no series.
I thought the "summer series" was getting a bit soft over the last few years. The "winter series" has been stronger, but not at all tracks. Maybe we need to take a look at the original ORL series, the oval series. Bill runs that as a whole year long series, there is no summer, winter, spring or fall. It's all part of the same series. It just seems things need to be shaken up, for the future of the series. In some way, fresh blood is needed to make the series strong again. We all think it is something worth saving or we wouldn't keep trying to come up with new angles. Dave has a tough task, and here at Horsham, we will do all we can to help the series to thrive once more.

Terry
Old 08-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Dave Mahr
Terry..shoot me an email asap...thanks
Dave-You got mail!!
Old 08-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I will NOT shut down the ORL2 for the winter!! I will still schedule race dates the best I can around other races.I am looking into a 10 race series like the ORL does..The nitro guys will still have a 5 race point series.We will talk more about it at the drivers meeting on Sunday..thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited by Dave Mahr; 08-05-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HorshamRCRacing
Dave-You got mail!!
thanks..got it..
Old 08-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes, trying to schedule events for ORL/ORL2 series can be difficult. I know when I work on the ORL (oval) schedule I do my best to look at all scheduled races throughout the east coast that could have an effect on our series. It's just logical. But as the season goes on, alot of tracks will schedule events without much regards for our events, thats dissapointing and counter productive but I guess it is a free country.

When the ORL2 was created we had a seperate summer & winter series because that is what the racers, at the time, seemed to be more interested in despite my personal preference. For my oval series I do a 10 race series, once a month from from February to November. Best 7 out of 10. It contains both indoor and outdoor tracks, carpet, asphalt, concrete, short track & superspeedway. it purposely has a very wide variety of track types. The idea is that in order to become the champion a racer needs to do pretty well at all. Hence the ORL creed, "No one track wonders". Just having an indoor or outdoor series in my book doesn't truly test and crown a real RC champion.

I would like to see the ORL2 switch formats to follow the same formula, one 10 race series covering all aspects of tracks. (5 races for nitro on the outdoor tracks) Find out the real champions. Another benefit is that with a 10 race series there is more in the budget for race prizes, awards and other neat stuff to help develope and promote the series than a 5 race series. Plus I think there is more prestige in the whole thing.

As usual, please chime in with your thoughts.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i like the 10 race idea for touring . . .makes sense . . .
Old 08-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Bill I like that format and that is kind of where I was going with my comment. What good is it to run 5 races during the winter and get a total of 100 entries. You should get that at every event. Take Horsham out of the picture because they get a huge turnout for club races, did you average even 50 entries for the other tracks? Simply too many races, not enough time and money
Old 08-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I love the Orl, but I feel like its a club race every time, we are racing for essentially nothing. I know we got trophies or something, if you make enough races. But really is it worth spending tons of money and time for a trophy. Maybe charge an extra 5 bucks and give some prizes at the end. The rc pro series, has taken a payout format for offroad and they get 200 entries at mostly every event. I know the orl isnt a Nation wide series but they seem to have a good formula. They also charge 50 bucks a class which I by all means dont suggest. But we could use the formula on a smaller scale or something close.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

thanks Larry for your input..I have though about a cash pay out at the end of the season last year..can you send me your email address Larry..
Old 08-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Yeah guys know this as much as I do. Attendence lately is on the downfall. WE need to draw more attention to the series or in the next few years its going to be tough. A cash payout race isn't bad like Larry was saying. Even a series like the ORL OVAL does isn't a bad idea. Time consuming yes, but what could be the downfalls? Why not try and see if we can get some manufactures to through some stuff at us. Since there sponsoring the series they need people to know how they are and what they stand for. Maybe throwing a motor or stickers or something small will make them return next time. If they like the product that's a plus for the manufacture and the series as the manufacture wins with a new customer and the series may/maynot have a person coming back next time. I recommend door prizes, raffles ect... Worth a try. Maybe some of the money used for the series can be donated for say a car kit or gift certificate at a local hobby shop that runs the series. Another idea. Even if you charge say $3-5 bucks more per entry with the Top 3 people or so, they could be offer different prize levels. Or even the winner of the series could be allow that gift cerfificate worth say a cool $150. These are all ideas... So no bushing me please!

One more thing, any ideas about attending these tracks, (For carpet)
* Mushroom Bowl Speedway (Rummors as of last night told me there trying to get sedan back up in running. They just put new carpet down, guess I'll talk to the owner(s) next weekend.
* RCO Raceway
* Marshal's Hilltop Hobbies (Do they run anymore?)
* The Track, (IN Maryland)

Still wish Thunder Road Hobbies was around. Miss that track and all of the action I had with my family. We miss you Barry!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

RCO closed its doors over a year ago...at least thats the last I heard. From what I remember Mushrooom bowl looked like it was a 1/18th track, let alone 12th scale. The Track is a great idea but nobody up north kept their words and went to the first MD adventure...why should we believe they would go to there? Not familiar with the last place you suggested.

Dave does a 50 50 and door prizes. And I know that many companies are donating prizes.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Tech Initiate

With the ORL (oval series) we collect race prizes from all of the series sponsors and then save them for the final race of the season to be give out throughout the day. At the start of the final raceday we give everyone a chance ticket. 1 ticket for every race they entered throughout the season. So, if you only entered 2 races you can only get 2 race prizes at best. But if you had entered 2 classes at every race you would have 20 chance tickets and be able to get a whole lot of stuff. It does a good job of rewarding the racers that support the series regardless of how they do points wise. Plus, the winner of the Craftsman truck series will receive a Craftsman tool chest and the winner of the Pro Cup class will receive the ORL Pro Cup trophy and receive a $100 gift certificate for any of the ORL series participating hobby shops.

This is all done within the budget of the ORL's $2 per entry. Would love to be able to charge $50 but than the amount of racers would REALLY be thin. Sure, charging more would make us give-a-way more (no brainer there) but I always thought it costs enough just to compete that charging more to enter isn't the way to go. We're always trying to keep costs down. Also we never charged a fee either to become an ORL member. Every other racing organization does. Just enter a race and you are considered an ORL racer.

Hmmm, maybe charge a little more and giveaway gas cards? (heh-heh)
Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Hmmmm, or maybe we should go in the direction of this FAST RC Worlds Word Series of Drivers in Florida and charge $165. Then we can really give some good prizes.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, seeing that I haven't run the ORL series at all this summer (except today) I found out that Dave does do a raffle thing. ( I stepped out to Wawa so I don't know what was raffled) Yes I'm know they use to in the past give prizes and crap away at the final race. Hope to see that happen at the final race.

Dave, Thank you for the AE Scissors! Cool idea!! We need to raffle off gas cards next time! Just think of what $20 worth of gas could get you! 1/4 of the way on a SUV ( Trust me..) in some SUV's, 3/4 the way for a small sedan... makes you think doesn't it, HINT HINT!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Does $165 cover my gas expense for the week?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.