Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Generators for parking lot racing.  Kipor or Honda? >

Generators for parking lot racing. Kipor or Honda?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Generators for parking lot racing. Kipor or Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yankey
Hi,
I'm looking for a generator for this summer. Will a honda/yamaha/kipor 1000W power four chargers at 6 amps comfortably? Can I add a soldering iron? Thanks.

James
Yes.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hi,
I'm looking for a generator for this summer. Will a honda/yamaha/kipor 1000W power four chargers at 6 amps comfortably? Can I add a soldering iron? Thanks.

James
No problem as I use a Honda 1000 I borrow from work when needed and power what you mentioned and normally 2 other guys.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Will it run a motor pulling 10 amps? I see something in the spec about 8.3 amps. Thanks for the quick replies.

James
Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

It may be 8.3 amps but your chargers output is less than the amperage it draws. If you have a power supply that is rated at say 30 amps. If you read the back label it may only draw 6 amps max. you would have to put out all 30 amps on your P/S it to draw all 6 amps from your generator. I use a Honda 2000i. My friend uses the Honda 1000i powering 2 or three guys fully loaded and a small compressor. The reason is, everything is not running at one time. Three chargers may be going along with generator and say the soldering iron. after a few minutes a charger may peak its battery before someone else starts to charge and so on. I heard that the Honda 1000i will run 4-5 guys. Hopes this helps.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

That 8.3 amps is "peak amps" right? They really are only rated around 6.5 amps. Sound like you guys are really pushing these things...but if they'er holden up, there holden up.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
That 8.3 amps is "peak amps" right? They really are only rated around 6.5 amps. Sound like you guys are really pushing these things...but if they'er holden up, there holden up.
I first tried a Coleman rated at 15 amps and that piece of **** didn't supply 6 good amps. I went and bought the Honda 2000i and run a welding machine off of it. The welder is rated at 15 amps and the 2000i is rated at 13.8 amps. I can run the welder for around an hour before it starts to blow the reset (breaker). Once it blows breaker the first time, it will do again sooner. I let generator rest from wrelder for a few minutes while I grind or take a break. The generator has been used for around four years now and holds up well.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Generators - you get what you pay for.I've gotten many generators over the years of racing.A quiet generator- define quiet.The quiet ones are called inverters generators. Those you have right next to you all weekend long and you'll never hear them. Both Honda and Yamaha make them in 1000-2000 and 3000's. They are more expensive but the quiet to me is worth the extra expense.I've listened to many of the other generators and I've had them but and Inverter is the truely quiet versions.Presently own a Yamaha 3000 inverter and it runs my7x14 trailer quietly (with A/C).
Old 03-21-2007, 08:10 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Generators - you get what you pay for.I've gotten many generators over the years of racing.A quiet generator- define quiet.The quiet ones are called inverters generators. Those you have right next to you all weekend long and you'll never hear them. Both Honda and Yamaha make them in 1000-2000 and 3000's. They are more expensive but the quiet to me is worth the extra expense.I've listened to many of the other generators and I've had them but and Inverter is the truely quiet versions.Presently own a Yamaha 3000 inverter and it runs my7x14 trailer quietly (with A/C).
Yeah they are super quiet. I ran mine one day behind my car and guys where wondering how I had power in the parking lot when no one else did. They didn't beleive me I had a generator running.

I have had zero problems supplying power for 2 or 3 guys off the Honda 1000 inverter and had used it over the last 4 years or so. It runs quit, sips fuel and is reliable. Only other one I would by other than Honda is the Yamaha which is virtually the same for the 1000 or 2000 inverter.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Now that I think about it, P=V*I tells the story. 8.3 amps is at 120V so at 12V you can use 83 amps and still be within 1000W. Thanks for the help. a 1000W is in my future.

Does anyone know of good deals on the Honda or Yamaha 1000W?

Thanks.

James
Old 03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Now that I think about it, P=V*I tells the story. 8.3 amps is at 120V so at 12V you can use 83 amps and still be within 1000W. Thanks for the help. a 1000W is in my future.

Does anyone know of good deals on the Honda or Yamaha 1000W?

Thanks.

James
I got a killer deal on a brand new Kipor 3000Ti on Ebay.($725) It's shape, size and quietness is just about identical to the honda 2000i except it's yellow and has more balls than the Honda 2000i.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Location: Bending Corners R/C Raceway(s) 2190 North Canal Street Orange, CA 92865

This is very interesting. I just came from my Kartin supplier and they have 3 of the Yellow generator there for sale. I thought I heard him say $400.00 bucks. let me give him a call.

The only problem with the Generator is there is no service center that will repair them after they die.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TireShredder
This is very interesting. I just came from my Kartin supplier and they have 3 of the Yellow generator there for sale. I thought I heard him say $400.00 bucks. let me give him a call.

The only problem with the Generator is there is no service center that will repair them after they die.
Whats up Raff?
I've seen the Kipor 1000ti go for about $400 or so + shipping on Ebay. The Kipor 1000Ti is directly comparable to the Honda 1000i.
There are vendors on ebay that do offer a warrenty for their Kipor generators.
Furthermore, if anyone is interested in buying a Kipor generator, make sure you buy the Ti series instead of the Tc series. The "Ti" is their invertor sinewave generator line, which is better suited for electronics. The "Tc" series is there non-invertor line which is more suited to camping.

Last edited by CHRIS CHAVEZ; 03-21-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
As far as I know, I've heard That the 2000i honda will power 10-13 people...
Reviving this old thread for informational purpose.

Some of you may have a honda generator EU2000i. A big question may be answered. How many guys can it power?

This past weekend at a parking lot race. I showed up as usaul with my stuff and generator ready to go. Low and behold my friends generator wouldn't start. After about an hour we decided to plug his group of guys into my Honda 2000i along with the 5 guys my honda was already powering. With himself there was seven more guys added to the Honda. A total of twelve guys were suppied power all day from the little red engine that could. At first it blew the breaker once and vibration disconnected the cord twice. We knotted the vibrating cord onto the handle and disconnected the air compressor from the honda. The following items were poweredby it:

16 Chargers of different makes
7 Novak smart trays
5 Soldering irons
2 Much More Tire Warmers units
2 6" Fans
1 8" Fan

All these items were not powered at once. It would have killed the generator I would think. As guys do what they need to do under normal race settings, the generator held up fine all day. It ran through almost two tanks of gas when it normally runs all day on one tank. The generator didn't even throotle up after disconnecting the compressor.

Some guys have the economy switch on the honda. It still puts out the voltage just less amperage. "Economy Off" is only needed when powering big items such as compressors, blenders and such/surges.

For the most part the Honda EU2000i KICKS ASS!

Last edited by F. Mendoza; 07-09-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

boy some of you guys are lucky so far by putting to much load all day will some day short the rotor or stator i been working on generators since 1984 some of you guys know me i am now a kipor service center i am working on getting parts for stock as fo me i have two 6600 one 7k rv units that i have have set up for power thay are rv generators i even have have a 6500 portable i dont like to under power so be carful on your loads don
Old 07-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Stratus, I was just installing one of these tonight on a friends horse trailer. I think it was rated 13 amps. Thats less the rating of a circuit in your house. It might be working, but you guys are giving them the torchor test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.