Wiki Posts
Search

2006 Reedy Touring Car Race of Champions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
Very true. 8 sets of practice tires, minimum of 5 sets of race tires and if you make the A, two more sets. One is free as a handout. 14 sets of tires @ about $30 a set. Almost would have preferred them leaving it at 4 sets period. Only have to buy 4 sets for practice and three for the race. Tire management comes into play like that. No limit everyone will just be running a fresh set every run.
Move aside the need for the practice tires....

In past years they allowed 4 sets of teched tires.
-People would have purchased 3 sets and received 1 set free. As most folks dont make the A, 4 complete sets is just one set shy of running fresh tires every qual and main.

Now they are considering, unlimited tires teched. Again as most people dont make the A, they can now buy 4 complete sets, receive 1 set and run fresh tires every qual and main. The additional opportunity to run an additional fresh set is going to be $30 something more than the year before. The cost to run a fresh set every qual and main is not that much greater if racers *think* fresh tires are better every run.

For the folks that make the A; for those elite few - they at least have an option to buy a total 6 complete sets, receive 1 set with entry and run new tires every qual and 3 races for the main. If someone makes the A, they will probably be in a mode to win at all costs and will have a chance to purchase more tires, the cost will probably not matter to them

Unless my math is wrong, to the guys outside of the A main; there is little additional cost (approx $30) to run new tires every round.

As for practice and what people need - that is a different deal. I dont think the cost of practice tires is the issue, just the cost of race tires and those that you can tech. Just talking about race tires.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It's true that race tires would only cost $30 more, $90 if you make the main. That I agree is not that big of a deal. But If I'm going to seriously try and make the main, I want to practice with what I'm going to race with and that means a fresh set every practice run.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
It's true that race tires would only cost $30 more, $90 if you make the main. That I agree is not that big of a deal. But If I'm going to seriously try and make the main, I want to practice with what I'm going to race with and that means a fresh set every practice run.
Adding if other racers wanted to do that as well for practice, they would have spent close to those same costs in the last couple years.

Reedy costs might be higher, but it is still a great value for the "included with entry", great venue, race dir and personnel. I can see why the race hosts have brought their entry costs in-line with other events but will still exceed in the experience area.

Looking forward to yet another fine event from the Tamiya/Reedy folks.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Or, another way to look at it is:
4 days at the REEDY is still less than 2 days at Disneyland.

No one ever said racing is cheap.
But the REEDY race is pricless!!!!
Fred
Old 03-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Tech Champion

I agree, the race is well worth the money it costs to be there.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am a little stunned by all the guys complaining about racing/entry fees for this event...??? Don't misunderstand me, either, I work for a living and a lot of my racing expenses come out of my own pocket. Last year was my first time running at the Reedy/Tamiya event and I feel it was the most professionally run event I have ever attended- the facilities, tech, staff, etc are great. I plan to attend again this year, regardless of entry fees. Besides, I am grateful that there IS a controlled tire- always LESS EXPENSIVE than no controlled tire at all.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
I am a little stunned by all the guys complaining about racing/entry fees for this event...??? Don't misunderstand me, either, I work for a living and a lot of my racing expenses come out of my own pocket. Last year was my first time running at the Reedy/Tamiya event and I feel it was the most professionally run event I have ever attended- the facilities, tech, staff, etc are great. I plan to attend again this year, regardless of entry fees. Besides, I am grateful that there IS a controlled tire- always LESS EXPENSIVE than no controlled tire at all.
Very true J.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking A PRICE TO PAY!

Forget I said anything!

Last edited by maxepower; 03-29-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maxepower
I know of a few racers that just can't afford the cost of racing in general. The entry is nothing if you consider a set of tires, motor and a shirt. There's your entry fee right there. So, it's not the cost to enter but the price of the equipment, chargers, dischargers, tires, batteries you'll need just to be competative. Time off from work to get in some practice runs, food, gas and don't forget lodging if you don't live in the area, this all adds up.

Tamiya does put on a class act and no doubt about it, from tented pit area for the racers, the track itself.
Not to forget Scotty coming all the way from Wisconsin calling the race ,Fred's organization from beginning to end and the Pro Invite racers putting on a show of driving skill that is 2nd to none! it's a premiere event and worth every penny!
I'm just saying the sport in general is getting expensive. I guess it's still cheaper then racing full scale cars! Right?

Last note: Rumor has it that this may be the last year Tamiya is putting on this race. But, you didn't hear it from me!!!
stop yer CBing about the cost! Race or Dont race
Old 03-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Suspended

maxpower says you better get your entries in this is the last one...yo did hear it from maxpower......is Mike Reedy dead or what? WERE in the hell would they move this race...I hate the tamiya locals cause they only run there and talk out there ass like no tommorow...locals try going to a different track , maybe just to watch or something but dont say things that could start a forest fire ...give me a break....The tamiya locals are closing the faclity you did hear it from me.....
Old 03-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TeamHomies
maxpower says you better get your entries in this is the last one...yo did hear it from maxpower......is Mike Reedy dead or what? WERE in the hell would they move this race...I hate the tamiya locals cause they only run there and talk out there ass like no tommorow...locals try going to a different track , maybe just to watch or something but dont say things that could start a forest fire ...give me a break....The tamiya locals are closing the faclity you did hear it from me.....
Every track has a few bad apples, but to answer your remarks they do run at other tracks, SoCal, Revelation, Crystal Park and LaMirada. Heck I used to run at Titus before they closed. Some just don't always use there Tamiya's.

Good luck to everyone in the lotto :-)
Old 03-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs down No fire? Just a slow burn!

Originally Posted by TeamHomies
Forget it! your not worth the energy spent!
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Reedy Touring Car Race of Champions-img_06520037.jpg  

Last edited by maxepower; 03-29-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

a max does that clean up the slop in the stearing rack
Old 03-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Well, not that I haven't touched an RC car in about a year, it's probably a good time to get back into racing as I have made the lottery for the pass 3 years. I'm guaranteed in!

I wonder if I can still find parts for my TC3?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TCFOYOAZZ
Well, not that I haven't touched an RC car in about a year, it's probably a good time to get back into racing as I have made the lottery for the pass 3 years. I'm guaranteed in!

I wonder if I can still find parts for my TC3?
Hey Raff, if you get in, I could always take your place. They would never know we were not twin brothers. So does this mean you are coming out to LM next weekend to brush the dust off (car and driver). You can borrow the Tamiya soldering iron again. Hope to see you back racing. Karting thing still going well ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.