Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > R/C Tech Site Forum
Site Experience: Sale Thread >

Site Experience: Sale Thread

Site Experience: Sale Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Site Experience: Sale Thread

I first joined RC Tech a little over a year ago with the intention of being able to buy and sell my rc stuff and look up tutorials to do things. My main gripe is that a year ago I was able to post in the sale forums and had good experiences with that, and never had any problems. Now I have to have 90 posts to post in the sale thread which I personally think is BS considering i've been on this site for a year. I know I barely have any posts but I never have anything to say and just want to be able to sell my rc stuff because craigslist isn't a great option. 90 posts isn't a lot but saying you are "weeding out" the scammers is stupid considering a scammer can just go post 90 times and get back to their scamming.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You must be a member for 90 days AND have 90 legitimate posts before you're allowed to create a thread in the (2) For Sale forums. OR you can become an Elite member which will lift these restrictions. Any obvious attempt at "post running" will result in those posts being deleted and your account being suspended.

The majority of people here really like the new rule. Scammers can't just post 90 times and get to the FS forum. Every Admin. and Mod on the site is looking for users that do just that. Several have been dealt with already, and I am sure more will be in the future. Users can also help if they notice someone making a lot of useless posts in quick succession by hitting the report button at the left bottom of a post. It is a triagnle with an exclamation mark inside of it.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Maybe the FS forum is suppose to be an asset to the sites contributing/active members and not just those who come here looking for a free Ebay? Why should the site benefit you (access to the FS forum) if all you do is read and contribute NOTHING?
Old 12-22-2014, 03:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Maybe the FS forum is suppose to be an asset to the sites contributing/active members and not just those who come here looking for a free Ebay? Why should the site benefit you (access to the FS forum) if all you do is read and contribute NOTHING?
If I could like this I would!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nexxus
If I could like this I would!
Same here.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riley_Houston
90 posts isn't a lot but saying you are "weeding out" the scammers is stupid considering a scammer can just go post 90 times and get back to their scamming.
Like was mentioned, mods are managing this but I'm see a good thing come out of it. A whole lot of people have started commenting on multiple threads. While I do think it's to get post count up, they actually are adding personal experiences in.

Yes, a scammer can still do this but it takes a lot more work to do it which is the point.

Originally Posted by DRTMI
]you can become an Elite member which will lift these restrictions.
I don't see how this helps with scammers other than profiting from the newly added in rules. Funny thing is though. Because of the new rules put in place, I wouldn't buy anything from someone who just did paid membership to be able to sell. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who feels this way
Old 12-22-2014, 07:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Bottom line is this is a discussion forum before it is a for sale forum, personally I'd rather buy from someone who has taken the time to contribute to discussions and offer insight / advice to people who may be new to it all. 90 posts / 90 days is asking for one post a day, which isn't unreasonable.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino
Like was mentioned, mods are managing this but I'm see a good thing come out of it. A whole lot of people have started commenting on multiple threads. While I do think it's to get post count up, they actually are adding personal experiences in:
If they are contributing, great. If they are post running... hit that report button.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
If they are contributing, great. If they are post running... hit that report button.
Right, if anyone sees new members just trying to bump their post count, let us know & we WILL deal with it....
Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Tech Addict

I haven't been buying/selling lately, but I will admit that the majority of my posts are in the B/S/T forums. Have you guys thought about disabling the post count in those forums?
Old 12-23-2014, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by makya
I haven't been buying/selling lately, but I will admit that the majority of my posts are in the B/S/T forums. Have you guys thought about disabling the post count in those forums?

i would like this, one of the other forums i frequent is 30 days 30 posts, they dont count threads in the regional forums...
Old 12-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Matt M.
i would like this, one of the other forums i frequent is 30 days 30 posts, they dont count threads in the regional forums...
They also don't count posts in their sale threads either.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by makya
Originally Posted by Matt M.
Originally Posted by DRTMI
They also don't count posts in their sale threads either.
That would be nice. I'm just not sure we have the tools to set that up. That's between Matt and IB.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by racer1812
That would be nice. I'm just not sure we have the tools to set that up. That's between Matt and IB.
yeah, I was just thinking about it from an outside perspective. My assumption is that "the powers that be" want to make a change to emphasize the strength of the forums and the tech involved, vs. being known on the other forums as the "go to place to buy and sell", which doesn't equate to much in the way of ad clicking probably. I hope that doesn't sound rude, but really, to keep a forum going you have to bring in ad revenue, meaning you need people to stay on the sight to figure out what to get, and then follow the ads/sponsor links to go buy.

having said that, a lot of members like myself start building up post counts (and arguably along with that some credibility) due to posting in the b/s/t, which can come across as an endorsement of RCT still endorsing the importance of the b/s/t as a resource and alternative to buying from vendors.

Or,
I could have it all bass ackwards and be talking out my rear.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Although I do understand why the "90 day 90 posts" rule was created I don't think it will have the positive effect that it was intended to have. I have been a member for over a year and had around 58 posts when this rule went into effect. I generally log into this site at least once a day if not more trying to keep up on maybe three or four threads. It is not that I don't like to share my opinions or advice but have in the past been belittled for doing so. Since I choose not to have a war of words I am more reluctant to keep my opinions and advice to myself. Yes people will post more so they can up their count but is it really a post that will make the thread more useful?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.