Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > R/C Tech Site Forum
Ad overlays by GumGum on OUR photos? >

Ad overlays by GumGum on OUR photos?

Ad overlays by GumGum on OUR photos?

Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs down Ad overlays by GumGum on OUR photos?

Seriously guys, are you running out of real estate to throw random, unassociated ad revenue generators on these forums? Now you have to throw ad banners on user photos from our own link sources?

Poor decision.

I understand the need to pay for the site maintenance (it's not nearly as much as some would like you to believe), but there are better ways to generate revenue than this.

At least offer a site subscription for people who are tired of getting inundated with these spam ads everywhere on RCtech to get them removed. Because the reality is, when you bombard the reader with too many ads, they seek out a way to block ALL OF THEM, and that only hurts the true paying advertisers in the long run.

Firefox to the rescue...
Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Well I don't play in IE unless I have to so can you give a screenshot of what you see and what version are you using? Or are you using something else? It probably is just a page format error.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kraig
Well I don't play in IE unless I have to so can you give a screenshot of what you see and what version are you using? Or are you using something else? It probably is just a page format error.
Nope, it's something similar to GoogleAds, except it is now a script that covers the bottom of every posted photo in a thread, with cookie-driven links to some random website looking for a click-through. The ads have a watermark on them from a site called GumGum that sells a software to imprint forum photos with ads.

IE isn't an issue, as it hasn't been produced for Macs in 7 years. I'm using FireFox and now using AdblockPlus in the browser, I can block all ad scripts form RCtech. It's unfortunate to have to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but the GoogleAds were slowing down the page draws here already, and this put me over the edge. Blocking everything is the only option.

I screen capped an example from Safari attached below. You can close the individual ads on different images, but there is no way to block them all from popping up on every image that is linked externally. Blocking the script using contemporary browser plug-ins is a simple yet broad brush option.

dc

Last edited by squarehead; 09-16-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Thumbs down

LOL even your attachment has the script. I thought it was something a few users were doing but it's on all of them.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Thumbs down

I'd rather pay a membership than have all the ads lately.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs down

Agreed. I'm surprised an option was not given to forum members. It's become pretty distasteful the amount of outside ad generators that are being used lately.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Just read this:
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1793934
Seems they pay rctech and anyone else on presence not just clicks? With all the pics lately on rctech they stand to make a nice profit. Maybe we can all just stop using image tags ([img][/img]) and use the attachment feature. It seems to be unmolested for the time being.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Segfault
Just read this:
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1793934
Seems they pay rctech and anyone else on presence not just clicks? With all the pics lately on rctech they stand to make a nice profit. Maybe we can all just stop using image tags ([img][/img]) and use the attachment feature. It seems to be unmolested for the time being.
Click on an attachment and give it 10 seconds. It's still there. As a paying member of this site I have to say this is pretty flipping lame.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Sorry if off subject but how/why are you a "paying" member? How do you become a paying member? Also how does your name become red?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Go to "User CP" and click "Paid Subscriptions" Once your subscription is set up, go to "User CP" and go to the "Groups" section, and join the "Premier Member" group to make name Red . Hope this helps.
To answer the "Why" part of your question. I became a paying member because I use this site daily. I also use it to buy/sell gear. I think it's only fair to contribute to something I benefit from. With that being said, they cut out the perks of being a member aside from my name being red. With this whole lil ad thing I think it would be nice if the paying members at least got the opportunity to use this site without all the ads or something along those lines.
My biggest issue isn't the fact that all the pics are plastered with ads but that they are using the users personal photos to generate income which I believe is more of a moral issue.

Last edited by Lapper; 05-17-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

hehe funny, so you actually Pay to see ads?
thats fried man seriously.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Awesome, i though that had something to do with it...thanks for the help. I'll look into it
Old 05-17-2011, 04:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If you generate let's say 1.50 USD in a month from the advertisements attached to my photos do I get that deducted from my monthly membership? I mean what's going on here? Are my photos public domain or property of RCTECH the instant I post them? Wondering if that's even legal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.