Wiki Posts
Search

For Sale Section..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)
Default For Sale Section..

Just curious as to what is considered a "bump" in the for sale section? Is a bump ANY reply for the OP in the thread at all? Please clairfy.

Also, any time I pose a problem I also try to provide a suggestion. Why not just not allow ANY posting from ANY one in for sale threads? After the OP post an item for sale it is locked to all people including the OP. If I post something for sale anyone who is interested in buying the item can just send a PM or an email directly to me. With this I you would cut down on all of the BS post that get posted in that section. "That price is too high" or the classic "XYZ.com has them for $" You get the point. I think the bumps of threads is mostly caused by the seller trying to keep the items on the first couple of pages. Simply put there are some guys that post items for sale and bump them 5 or 6 times a day and they never get deleted but then you have guys like myself who will post a "back at ya" on something and it is deleted right away. Fact is either you guys don't have time to truly moderate the section or you just delete random posts for no certain reason. I guess what I am saying is why is it even necessary to allow post in the section at all? PM's are a very useful tool...

Here is a great example of a very organized well ran for sale section on RCC
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Jason and the guys do a great job over there with this. I really think it would help and would greatly reduce the amount of time the mods have to spend on the for sale section. There would simply be nothing to moderate if the thread is closed for replies. Just my $.02

Thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I am not a huge fan of the "no response" set up... it allows scammers to be able to scam multiple users as no one knows for sure if someone else is PMing or paying for an item... the boards also allow the ability of not bringing back to top when you post... so no matter what someone posts it stays on the page its at... just food for thought... I am kinda getting the indication from the subscriber section that the new owners arent doing much to change settings on the back-software much....
Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orgnoi1
I am not a huge fan of the "no response" set up... it allows scammers to be able to scam multiple users as no one knows for sure if someone else is PMing or paying for an item... the boards also allow the ability of not bringing back to top when you post... so no matter what someone posts it stays on the page its at... just food for thought... I am kinda getting the indication from the subscriber section that the new owners arent doing much to change settings on the back-software much....

the site owner is doing fine, that is the opinion of one user...
Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

We listen to all ideas and suggestions and discuss them among ourselves. We are still working on somethings but it will take some time until we feel comfortable and implement them.

Then there are some ideas that we have already discussed and we will stick to our decisions that we have made.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hlpressley
Just curious as to what is considered a "bump" in the for sale section? Is a bump ANY reply for the OP in the thread at all? Please clairfy.

Also, any time I pose a problem I also try to provide a suggestion. Why not just not allow ANY posting from ANY one in for sale threads? After the OP post an item for sale it is locked to all people including the OP. If I post something for sale anyone who is interested in buying the item can just send a PM or an email directly to me. With this I you would cut down on all of the BS post that get posted in that section. "That price is too high" or the classic "XYZ.com has them for $" You get the point. I think the bumps of threads is mostly caused by the seller trying to keep the items on the first couple of pages. Simply put there are some guys that post items for sale and bump them 5 or 6 times a day and they never get deleted but then you have guys like myself who will post a "back at ya" on something and it is deleted right away. Fact is either you guys don't have time to truly moderate the section or you just delete random posts for no certain reason. I guess what I am saying is why is it even necessary to allow post in the section at all? PM's are a very useful tool...

Here is a great example of a very organized well ran for sale section on RCC
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Jason and the guys do a great job over there with this. I really think it would help and would greatly reduce the amount of time the mods have to spend on the for sale section. There would simply be nothing to moderate if the thread is closed for replies. Just my $.02

Thanks
One of the first things to understand, is that moderating is done by volunteers. There is no pay or reimbursement of any kind. This being the case, we need to get paid. Not for moderating, but by holding jobs. Some of us also have family matters to attend to on a daily basis.

That being said, just this morning -- not from midnight either, but from 5am -- there has been 160 threads either bumped, or started. It's not quite 9am yet as I'm typing this. It takes a lot of time to look at 10 threads, imagine 160. Sure, there are a couple of us, but it still takes a lot of man hours. Some threads aren't so easy to decide, you have to look at little more and see what you think about it. They're not all cut and dry breaking the rules.

As for myself, I see any post in a thread (by the OP) as a bump. If you start a thread at 9am and decide to give it your daily bump at 2pm, I will delete it if I see it. You already had it at the top. We all understand why someone bumps their threads, to get it to the top and get more eyes on it. Why? So that it will sell. I also don't believe "pm's responded to" is necessary. Again, if I see it, it's gone.

Price changes: Personally, If I see it a couple times a day, I'll delete it. It's really easy to say you want 200 for a roller and then knock the price down a couple bucks every couple hours. Because really, you just want 125, you just wanted to cut the price and bump it. That's how I see it. Sure, there are legitimate cases, so you have to take other things in to account. Does the person have any infractions, what for? Does this seem to be a trend by the person? All these are things you have to look at and they take time. Time that we're donating, that isn't available everyday, all day.

I know it's a pain, that's part of why I wanted to moderate. As a seller trying to follow the rules, it irritates the hell out of me to see these trends.

I can't speak for everyone, but I imagine it to be true, regardless; I get a lot of emails -- and you kind of eluded to this -- about people being targeted, picked on, or random BS thrown at them. For the most part (this only pertains to me), this is NOT the case. I rarely ever look at anyone's name, but I WILL say that there are some out there that love breaking the rules, I am watching you guys and I'm sure others are also.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I love the attention.
I have followers that Hijack my threads and appearently can get my bumped threads deleted without notice. No emails, no nothing. So... I suggest one thing. Let us talk or warn the users before taking an ad down before doing the easy delete with no warning or pm or email thing. Cause its going to get old quick, not for me but for the mods if I keep getting Hijacked and cried on for silly crap.
Just my 0.5 cent..

btw, I bumped mine to drop pricing as per complaint by pm users on what I should or shouldnt sell my own crap for. Got pointed to the bump post by a standard ~broke~ user and deleted a bit later.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (96%+)

The way Marcos told me awhile back was any reply by the OP is a "bump" so if you lower the price use the edit button in the original post and that any reply on the ad by the OP is a bump and only 1 is allowed in a day (24hours) by the OP......... Other users can bump just not the OP.....

It does get old seeing the same ad on the first page every time you look in the for sale section and I see a few certain guys bumping their stuff all day so think it does need trashed. I have had a couple deleated because two or three bumps by me and learned my lesson
Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

lookie, its my hijacker friend somehow i knew you would come to disturb me. This is kinda like that roomate movie... eww