Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > R/C Tech Site Forum
NITRO ENGINE SECTION - BOOOOOOOO!!!! >

NITRO ENGINE SECTION - BOOOOOOOO!!!!

NITRO ENGINE SECTION - BOOOOOOOO!!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt M.
i have no problem with that...i will move the current one back to the on road, and make a new one in off road....

give me a couple days to get it done....

we are not opposed to change but i was asked to do what was done. guys need to be more respectful when asking for a change.
Matt,

Thanks and much appreciated.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i have no problem with that...i will move the current one back to the on road, and make a new one in off road....

we are not opposed to change but i was asked to do what was done. guys need to be more respectful when asking for a change.
Brilliant, thank you for listening.

As for respect, it goes both ways. Yeah people bash you guys a lot but you guys like to dish it out too. Look at all the suggestions that get replies like "that's the way it is, deal with it" or "it's a free forum, if you don't like it, leave" or something like that.

As for my recent vehemence on this subject, there is a reason for it I don't want to get into on a public forum. Let's just say that someone other than you REALLY ticked me off when I expressed my opinion about it elsewhere.

Last edited by wingracer; 10-15-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Lord

so what is a nitro motor for offroad different than a nitro motor for onroad???

the model of motor may be different, but the basics of break in, tuning, maintenance are all the same correct??
Not arguing here, just explaining.

The problem isn't so much the difference in the engines as it is the difference in users. Examples:

Threads like the break-in bible and tuning bible work perfectly well in either forum so no problem there. But:

The majority of the offroad engine threads are engine specific threads or offroad modders. Onroad guys don't care a bit about Speeds, Precirotate, Alpha, EB Mods, Clockwork, Werks, GoTech, etc. Because there are far more offroaders on this board, those threads dominate the forum.

Because of that, the offroaders seemed to think it WAS an offroad forum. Look at what happened when I bumped the Nova Flash preview thread. This thread was over a year old, yet guys came in wanting to know if this was a replacement for the P5 or the +4. It never occurred to them that it was an onroad motor that they had ZERO interest in or use for.

Plus you had different threads with the exact same name.

Two Novarossi engines threads.
Two GRP engines threads.
Two RB Products engine threads.

Which one was which? No way to know without clicking on it and doing some reading.

So you see, the problem wasn't the difference in the subject matter, it's the difference in the users. Sure there are some people like me that do both and are knowledgeable of both so there was little confusion but the vast majority are one or the other.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The new layout looks awesome! Thanks for reconsidering! I think everyone(or most everyone) will be happy with this layout!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Coming from someone that has ran several communities. It needs to go back to how it was. The way it is now is further complicating things. I think the central engine section on the main index was the best. Ive been wanting this to happen for a long time and when i saw it i was very happy. Now its more complicated. Just merge both forums content and put it back to how it was. Yes there is some sense made about having them separate but it doesnt outweigh having them together. Now there will be several posts in the wrong sections or cross posting. This is very irritating as well as doubling or tripling the moderators workload. It would be much easier to create thread prefixes for off road or on road. If its a must to keep it how it is then i would strongly suggest pulling the subforums for engines out of the car sections and into an engine section on the main index. This will increase exposure 10x. Many people had no idea there was even an engine section when it was under the on road section.

Keep in mind im not just throwing a fit cause its not my way as yoou can see ive provided more than one way. Im offering better ways for the moderation team and the users to have a place to discuss engines. I have and do admin several communities so im speaking from exp.

My .02
Old 10-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by German Muscle
Now there will be several posts in the wrong sections or cross posting.
We had that WITHIN the threads when combined. Off road guys asking how a Flash compared to a P5

I see cross posting as being nearly eliminated now. You wont have many people going to the onroad forum to ask a question about an offroad motor.

As for moderating workload, I don't see that as a problem either. If it does become one, make me a moderator. I'm on here more than most mods anyway, I can keep the engines straight
Old 10-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by German Muscle
Coming from someone that has ran several communities. It needs to go back to how it was. The way it is now is further complicating things. I think the central engine section on the main index was the best. Ive been wanting this to happen for a long time and when i saw it i was very happy. Now its more complicated. Just merge both forums content and put it back to how it was. Yes there is some sense made about having them separate but it doesnt outweigh having them together. Now there will be several posts in the wrong sections or cross posting. This is very irritating as well as doubling or tripling the moderators workload. It would be much easier to create thread prefixes for off road or on road. If its a must to keep it how it is then i would strongly suggest pulling the subforums for engines out of the car sections and into an engine section on the main index. This will increase exposure 10x. Many people had no idea there was even an engine section when it was under the on road section.

Keep in mind im not just throwing a fit cause its not my way as yoou can see ive provided more than one way. Im offering better ways for the moderation team and the users to have a place to discuss engines. I have and do admin several communities so im speaking from exp.

My .02
you are right, but the users of the site seem to know more than me....so to keep people happy, i did this....after a while thsy may see what i am talking about...

wingracer, your problem was a few users that cant read. not a big issue really.....
Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
We had that WITHIN the threads when combined. Off road guys asking how a Flash compared to a P5

I see cross posting as being nearly eliminated now. You wont have many people going to the onroad forum to ask a question about an offroad motor.

As for moderating workload, I don't see that as a problem either. If it does become one, make me a moderator. I'm on here more than most mods anyway, I can keep the engines straight
Let me give you an idea.
How do i break in my engines?
What engine modder is best?
Why is breakin important
What is the putty in my crank?
How do i take my engine apart?
Is my engine blown up?

All of this can be easily killed and alot less breath wasted by having a central forum. Asking how a flash compares to a P5 is a legit question. Its another example of a cross sectioning question. Generally the on road guys have a much better knowledge of these engines and i think would be a good benifit to the community and everyone else. Keeping them on their leash is a waste.

you are right, but the users of the site seem to know more than me....so to keep people happy, i did this....after a while thsy may see what i am talking about...

wingracer, your problem was a few users that cant read. not a big issue really.....
I know the position your in as ive been there alot. As much as i try my hardest you cannot passify everyone. Due to the nature of the beast you will get 3 times more negativity than positive. This isnt to be confused with being the average of peoples thoughts. Alot of people that are happy wont make as much effort to tell you they like it as they will if they dont like it.