Wiki Posts
Search

For sale/trade forum suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default For sale/trade forum suggestion

I just looked at the thread counts on the various forums, and the for sale/trade forum has more than 5 times the number of threads as the next highest forum. I updated one of my posts there this morning and within two hours it was already pushed to page 2. Naturally, sellers would like to have their items show up on page 1 becasue many people checking the for sale boards will pop in, browse the first page and then move on to other surfing. This has lead to sellers 'bumping' their posts multiple times a day to keep it near the top.
My suggestion would be to break up the 'for sale' forum into several separate categorized 'sub-forums'.
- this would decrease the huge size of the single general 'for sale' forum
- sellers posts would remain on the first page longer... less temptation to 'bump' excessively
- buyers could look for the items they were interested in without having to wade through stuff they don't want
- sellers could target the audience they are selling to
- searches would be done only in the specific categories, cutting down on resources used for searches

The only down side I could see is that currently existing posts would not be categorized, but for sale posts typically have a short useful 'shelf life' anyway. After a couple weeks, the huge majority of post not categorized would be 'stale' or obsolete anyway.

It could be as simple as dividing the forums into:
-on-road
-off-road
-electronics
-other

or you could get more specific if needed. For example:
-1/10 on-road
-1/12 on-road
-smaller scale on-road
-larger scale on-road
... etc.

I think this would make the for-sale forum easier to use for both buyers and sellers.
Any suggestions or comments?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Seems that I may have added to the problem...
I just found a similar suggestion a little further down the page. I should have checked better before posting.
A couple of points were brought up in that post by one of the moderators.
==================

it would take considerable moderating (read time) to keep it organized...

i would be deleting the bumpers, and moving the items in the wrong place....

==================

Hopefully, multiple categories would drastically cut down on the need for people to think they have to 'bump' their threads.
In my opinion, if someone posts in the wrong thread, they are simply losing out on the benefits of having people find their item easily. Let them flounder. Other buyers have a way of 'reminding' posters that they have posted in the wrong place also.
Unless it is causing a big problem somehow that I don't understand, moving posts that are in the wrong category would be low on my list of 'things to do'.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.Heath
I just looked at the thread counts on the various forums, and the for sale/trade forum has more than 5 times the number of threads as the next highest forum. I updated one of my posts there this morning and within two hours it was already pushed to page 2. Naturally, sellers would like to have their items show up on page 1 becasue many people checking the for sale boards will pop in, browse the first page and then move on to other surfing. This has lead to sellers 'bumping' their posts multiple times a day to keep it near the top.
My suggestion would be to break up the 'for sale' forum into several separate categorized 'sub-forums'.
- this would decrease the huge size of the single general 'for sale' forum
- sellers posts would remain on the first page longer... less temptation to 'bump' excessively
- buyers could look for the items they were interested in without having to wade through stuff they don't want
- sellers could target the audience they are selling to
- searches would be done only in the specific categories, cutting down on resources used for searches

The only down side I could see is that currently existing posts would not be categorized, but for sale posts typically have a short useful 'shelf life' anyway. After a couple weeks, the huge majority of post not categorized would be 'stale' or obsolete anyway.

It could be as simple as dividing the forums into:
-on-road
-off-road
-electronics
-other

or you could get more specific if needed. For example:
-1/10 on-road
-1/12 on-road
-smaller scale on-road
-larger scale on-road
... etc.

I think this would make the for-sale forum easier to use for both buyers and sellers.
Any suggestions or comments?

That would create more confusion , what if I was getting out of rc and i had multiple cars like on-road off road and 1/12th and 1/10th scales. I would have to list them in multiple forums not includint radios battery tires etc. 1 for sale forum for rc stuff is just fine.

My suggestion is , follow the rules, bump 1 time per day, and use the search feature ( its working just fine).
Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.Heath
Seems that I may have added to the problem...
I just found a similar suggestion a little further down the page. I should have checked better before posting.
A couple of points were brought up in that post by one of the moderators.
==================

it would take considerable moderating (read time) to keep it organized...

i would be deleting the bumpers, and moving the items in the wrong place....

==================

Hopefully, multiple categories would drastically cut down on the need for people to think they have to 'bump' their threads.
In my opinion, if someone posts in the wrong thread, they are simply losing out on the benefits of having people find their item easily. Let them flounder. Other buyers have a way of 'reminding' posters that they have posted in the wrong place also.
Unless it is causing a big problem somehow that I don't understand, moving posts that are in the wrong category would be low on my list of 'things to do'.
since you found another thread regarding this , no need to keep this one open.