Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > R/C Tech Site Forum
Futureal, Netscape problem >

Futureal, Netscape problem

Futureal, Netscape problem

Old 08-30-2001, 07:33 AM
Tech Adept

Default Futureal, Netscape problem

Futureal, there seems to a problem with Netscape an the message forums. When using Netscape 4.78 the forums will not load. Other pages of the site are ok, just the forums are not loading. Netscape 6.1 and IE 6.0 do not seem to have this problem.

Thanks
dcracer
Old 08-30-2001, 01:15 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I am aware of the problems with Netscape v4.xx.

I worked for awhile to get the things to work with it, but I finally just gave up. The older Netscape just can't handle the complex tables that the forum software generates. The options were either to leave the forums looking "stock" to ensure Netscape v4.xx compatibility, or to just design for the newer generations of browsers, and we chose the latter.

All I can tell people is to upgrade to Netscape v6.xx or to Internet Explorer. If you are running Windows 95, Netscape 6 will not run correctly (or so I am told) so you'll need to download Internet Explorer v5.5 (which is still available from Microsoft).

I really see no reason for people to be running the old Netscapes anyway, since they are quite problematic and do not support a lot of the newer features of the net. All the other browsers are free upgrades...
Old 08-30-2001, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

ya i had the same problem,....i loaded microsoft though.....
Old 08-30-2001, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks futureal, not a problem. I just happened to be using Netscape 4.78 today and found the problem. With regards to Netscape 6.1 i still find it too slow. Guess I will stick with IE for now.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:17 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Yea, I personally hate Netscape's browsers. I certainly sympathize with them regarding Microsoft taking their market share, but the fact is, Microsoft's browsers are better. They look better, they behave better, and they integrate better with Windows (no real surprise there...)

So although I use Netscape to test my pages out, I do all of my browsing in Internet Explorer. Can't say I agree with their decision to take the Java Virtual Machine out of IE6 though... grr...