Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sick and tired of scammers

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Last edited by SteveM; 01-18-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't know if the administrators at this site have the ability to block these scammers IP addresses from loging onto the site once they have been identified? If they are using the same IP address to gain internet access each time they log on, that would solve a lot of them coming back. Don't know if ISP providers use dynamic IP addresses for there clients. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 AM
Tech Champion

Old 10-02-2008, 04:39 AM
Tech Adept

I got a couple of Pms with unnapropiate/adult content from mx2 and cooldude...can't these guys be banned??
Old 10-09-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You can IP Ban in vBulletin in the Admin CP > vBulletin options:

IPs to ban:
IP Number Ban Lists: You may ban any IP numbers from registering and posting. Type in the complete IP number (as in 243.21.31.7), or use a partial IP number (as in 243.21.31). The BB will do matches from the beginning of each IP number that you enter. Thus, If you enter a partial IP of 243.21.31, someone attempting to register who has an IP number of 243.21.31.5 will not be able to register. Similarly, if you have an IP ban on 243.21, someone registering who has an IP of 243.21.3.44 will not be able to register. Thus, be careful when you add IPs to your ban list and be as specific as possible. As with the email ban list, put a space between each IP number. The IP Ban prevents anyone with matching IP number from registering and posting.

Just don't kill Gmail....it's all I got
Old 10-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

we run the same board setup over at RcFanatics and yeah its totally possible to ban the Ip's of these guys. It would take alot of work to have to punch in all the spam guys IP addys, but as far as the scammers who blatently ripped people off, I think the time is worth it. Each person takes maybe 20-30 seconds Id say.
They should see if there is a add on that when a person is banned, it automatically bans the IP as well. Im sure theres something like that out there. I havnt looked into it because we havnt really had any scammer issues (knock on wood) but I think it would work out slick here. There seems to be getting more and more scammers.. Kinda sad.

Another thing I think they should do is block proxy IP's from being able to register. That would eliminate alot of of the spammers and scammers whos ip's have been blocked. Also they could do the new upgraded captcha. I know since we installed it, we havnt gotten ANY more spam accounts.

Just some suggestions.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Just need a Moderator to move the thread to the 'banned' section as soon as they show up......obviously it's not RC related....I assume there is one here for the mods, and ban the Username. After a few tries, they will go elsewhere to spam.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

I keep seeing more shoe ads.....where are the moderators of the forums? As soon as this pops up, it should get moved to a banned section, and the user banned (and their IP) instantly.......after a few times, they will get tired and move on.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

hey I need some shoes
Old 10-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
hey I need some shoes
Maybe a dedicated Spam Puma section?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:17 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
You can IP Ban in vBulletin in the Admin CP > vBulletin options:

IPs to ban:
IP Number Ban Lists: You may ban any IP numbers from registering and posting. Type in the complete IP number (as in 243.21.31.7), or use a partial IP number (as in 243.21.31). The BB will do matches from the beginning of each IP number that you enter. Thus, If you enter a partial IP of 243.21.31, someone attempting to register who has an IP number of 243.21.31.5 will not be able to register. Similarly, if you have an IP ban on 243.21, someone registering who has an IP of 243.21.3.44 will not be able to register. Thus, be careful when you add IPs to your ban list and be as specific as possible. As with the email ban list, put a space between each IP number. The IP Ban prevents anyone with matching IP number from registering and posting.

Just don't kill Gmail....it's all I got
No really?! I had no idea... /sarcasm.

Originally Posted by 4u2nv
we run the same board setup over at RcFanatics and yeah its totally possible to ban the Ip's of these guys. It would take alot of work to have to punch in all the spam guys IP addys, but as far as the scammers who blatently ripped people off, I think the time is worth it. Each person takes maybe 20-30 seconds Id say.
They should see if there is a add on that when a person is banned, it automatically bans the IP as well. Im sure theres something like that out there. I havnt looked into it because we havnt really had any scammer issues (knock on wood) but I think it would work out slick here. There seems to be getting more and more scammers.. Kinda sad.

Another thing I think they should do is block proxy IP's from being able to register. That would eliminate alot of of the spammers and scammers whos ip's have been blocked. Also they could do the new upgraded captcha. I know since we installed it, we havnt gotten ANY more spam accounts.

Just some suggestions.
There are a lot of accounts where if you ban the IP address, it may ban several innocent users. IP banning someone is NOT that simple. First you have to check the user's IP list, and pick one that you think is most current ( or pick several ) and then check each one you want to add to the banned list to make sure other INNOCENT users just don't happen to use that IP or block of IP addresses. Then ban the user. Unfortunately, IP Bans don't always last very long.

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
I keep seeing more shoe ads.....where are the moderators of the forums? As soon as this pops up, it should get moved to a banned section, and the user banned (and their IP) instantly.......after a few times, they will get tired and move on.
y2k - I'm laying in my bed right now, and I SHOULD be taking a little siesta since I worked at 5am-9am, and will again 11am to 6pm, but instead I'm on here. Thats where I am. Where are you right now?

Get tired and move on? Thats a joke, some of them are bots. Bots don't "get tired"
Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TSR6
No really?! I had no idea... /sarcasm.

There are a lot of accounts where if you ban the IP address, it may ban several innocent users. IP banning someone is NOT that simple. First you have to check the user's IP list, and pick one that you think is most current ( or pick several ) and then check each one you want to add to the banned list to make sure other INNOCENT users just don't happen to use that IP or block of IP addresses. Then ban the user. Unfortunately, IP Bans don't always last very long.

y2k - I'm laying in my bed right now, and I SHOULD be taking a little siesta since I worked at 5am-9am, and will again 11am to 6pm, but instead I'm on here. Thats where I am. Where are you right now?

Get tired and move on? Thats a joke, some of them are bots. Bots don't "get tired"
Those are some crappy hours....you must be in IT Support

Oh, I'm right here too!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Tech Champion

Old 11-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveM
The list grows daily and the FLOOD of scam continues unchecked. Shame on the Moderators and Administrators.
TSR6 is going to rip you a new one... lol
Old 11-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
TSR6 is going to rip you a new one... lol
TSR6 is at work right now....you got a few hours to go hide.

But really.....since I don't really need a new iPod or cell phone right now....can't the posts just be deleted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.