Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > R/C Tech Site Forum
Site Issues: Technical >

Site Issues: Technical

Like Tree40Likes

Site Issues: Technical

Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Not so much a "problem"... Searching question.

I'm always a big proponent of "search before you ask" in Forums so I searched on searching to find info on small word searches. It looks like in the past, searching for words less than three characters did not function, and that was a limitation of vBulletin 2.0. I know that there was a recent upgrade and looking at the botton of any page shows that RCTech is running on vBulletin v3.0.7... but I am still unable to search for "T4" or "B4". I assume that not being able to search for two character strings, is by design. Being able to do so would probably bog down searches too much.

So, my question is this: are there any vBulletin "tricks" to be able to search using two character search strings? I need more B4/T4 stuff!

Mr.Maim

Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
R/C Tech Founder

There may be a way to do this more easily in the newer vB versions using indexing on the MySQL side rather than the vB side. We are about 2-3 weeks from our big upgrade and I'll take a closer look then to see what I can do.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

No problem whatsoever. Ultimately, if the answer is: "it's that way by design"' that's acceptable to me. I do software QA, and the company I'm with has a product that is a front-end for an Access (soon to be MySQL) database. So, I see on a regular basis how much database access, modification, and search can really tax a system. If not being able to search two character strings is not feasable so that words like "in", "is", "ok", or whatever else someone might put in a search string would adversely impact the overall functionality of the Forum's database... so be it. I'd rather have faster overall access than the ability to search for "T4".

Thanks for responding!

Mr.Maim
Old 04-14-2007, 09:20 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Yea, the main reason it did not have that ability, is that the forum keeps an index table of all the words everywhere. So since there are so many small words, it had a character limit and only indexed the words above that limit to save size and space.

The newer versions of the forum use more advanced MySQL features to eliminate the need for this type of indexing.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

try adding a meaningless boolean string, like 'T4 AND the' or something like that, because basically every post with the word 'T4 in has the word THE in.'
Old 04-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anybody else noticed that the boards seem to be slowing down off and on lately? I'm sure its not my connection because I'm using cable internet and I can surf 2-3 other sites while rctech is still struggling to load one page.

It doesn't seem to be tied to how many people are online either. It could be 250 or 800 people using.

Like I said, its an off and on thing. One minute it could be zipping right along, then the next, you may not be able to even get on the message boards.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Last edited by Darkseid; 04-16-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yea, that and I'm getting e-mail notifications for posts from days ago just now.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 AM
R/C Tech Founder

One of the servers in our gateway cluster has been having issues, and just this morning when we power cycled it, a bunch of queued up emails were "released" so to speak, which is why you got some outdated notifications.

The slowdown could be a side effect of this as well. It's an ongoing issue that we're looking into and will hopefully solve in the near future.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

it fast now ... good job guy's...
Old 04-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Just some stats for you, I've been a server admin for several mid-sized to large corporations so I'm sure you're watching your logs constantly just like I alway do ( NOT! I hate parsing logs looking for errors)... but just in case... there was a slowdown for about an hour this morning, now everything is fine. I figured I post some stats on my end to maybe help narrow down the issue.

Keep up the good work! Again, love the site!

Mr.Maim

=====================Page Refresh Stats======================