Search

Bible basics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ghostrider86
New question.

Jesus wowed people with miracles and words of wisdom all over the lands, people had never seen or heard such things! But there was a place where he could say anything he wanted or perform miracles and no one believed he was the Son of God....

Can you name that place/region? Why were the people so unbelieving?
Let's see: miracles were performed in Capernum and I can't think of the name where Jesus calmed the wind and waves right off but as I first stated, I don't know all or claim to. It was one of the seas around there I think?
Why were the people so unbelieving? Why are they so unbelieving now?

We know there are 66 books in the Bible right? Do we know how many are in each of the Testaments and do we know what the Divisions are? The books of the OT fall into 4 groups: Law(5), History(12), Poetry(5), and Prophecy(17). The NT falls into 4 groups as well: the Gospels (4), History(1), Letters(21), and Prophecy(1).
Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

New question.

Jesus wowed people with miracles and words of wisdom all over the lands, people had never seen or heard such things! But there was a place where he could say anything he wanted or perform miracles and no one believed he was the Son of God....

Can you name that place/region? Why were the people so unbelieving?
Originally Posted by bowl806
Let's see: miracles were performed in Capernum and I can't think of the name where Jesus calmed the wind and waves right off but as I first stated, I don't know all or claim to. It was one of the seas around there I think?
Why were the people so unbelieving? Why are they so unbelieving now?

We know there are 66 books in the Bible right? Do we know how many are in each of the Testaments and do we know what the Divisions are? The books of the OT fall into 4 groups: Law(5), History(12), Poetry(5), and Prophecy(17). The NT falls into 4 groups as well: the Gospels (4), History(1), Letters(21), and Prophecy(1).
Didn't you just answer your own question?

Anybody else for my question before i answer it?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:58 AM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

I'll go since nobody else is jumping in.

Mark 6:4--A Prophet is honored everywhere except his Hometown....

They didn't believe, because to them, He was just the carpenter's (Joseph's) son....they thought.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:15 AM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

And I wanted to add----that had they known the sciptures and the prophecies from the Old Testement, and the testimonies of those that believed, they would've known who Jesus really was. Much like today--if people would actually study the Bible for themselves, they would know who Jesus really is, and would have a much better chance of coming to know the Savior.

Interesting that all these years have passed and the root of the problem remains the same---people choose to be uninformed, and don't care to know the Truth.

Also wanted to clarify that we know Jesus was MUCH more than JUST a prophet.

Last edited by WYLDTHING; 11-16-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Oops, yep I guess I did but I won't answer this one lol (until later)! Since we now know of the Divisions in both Old and New Testaments, can we name which books fall into which catagory? For ex. Which books were the OT law? Which are the History books? Which are the poetry books?, and Which are the prophecy books?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WYLDTHING
I'll go since nobody else is jumping in.

Mark 6:4--A Prophet is honored everywhere except his Hometown....

They didn't believe, because to them, He was just the carpenter's (Joseph's) son....they thought.
DING DING DING!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

I mean no disrespect in any kind of way, shape or form and appreciate your knowledge.Know the Lord is proud of you with your knowledge and growth but these questions/comments I am trying to post is for new believers and those curious about the Bible in general;eventually I'm sure we'll get into searching Scriptures, discuss prophecy, healings, locations, etc. I'm trying to have this be basic stuff ABOUT the Bible not what's IN the Bible hence Bible Basics. Flash back in time--when you were first saved someone somewhere had to teach you about the Word of God, how to research, pray, etc. Let's continue with spreading the Gospel to all nations and seeking out those who are lost and seeking salvation.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:40 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The difference between Luke 9-50 and 11-23 ?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JsK
The difference between Luke 9-50 and 11-23 ?
The teaching of Jesus prompted John to relate an incident that revelaed a sectarian attitude among the disciples. The man they were concered about, even though he was not a member of the 12, was a true follower of Jesus. As Christians we need to be tolerant of fellow believers, regardless of their denomination. The main concern should be, "the motive of the heart" and if the work was done to give glory to the Lord. The disciples proved to be sectarian (vs38) yet Jesus' words, "Do not forbid him" are followed by a 3fold explanation why the judgement of the disciples was wrong. (see notes Mark 9:38,29 NKJV) The Scripture reads, (paraphrased) We, (the disciples) saw someone casting out demons in Your name. It doesn't say anything about where or how this "someone" heard about the miracles of Jesus or if he in fact saw these miracles with his own eyes which in itself is really irrelevant to the story.
But that is a great question!
So how to we live like Jesus and live by His teachings? I must go back to the Word in Timothy, "Study to show thyself approved unto God." Keep your eyes on Jesus in all you say and do and He will enlighten your path. Seek forgiveness for our sins daily and ask Him to come into our heart. Simply, yet earnestly, say something like, "Lord, I know I am a sinner and seek your forgiveness. I need you in my life and ask you to come into my heart. If you say something as simple as this and actually mean it in your heart and spirit I believe the Lord will come into your heart and He will begin to teach you. Get involved in a true Bible believing church and seek out a mentor to help someone or yourself learn. Make going to church exciting rather than boring. Live for the excitement of "Wow, I wonder what the Lord is going to teach me this Sunday?"
Old 11-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Amen to that, i always look forward to going to church and seeing what he has instore for my heart
Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

You know what "Captain"- I read your post about "thiefs." My heart goes out to you having to experience such a loss. I believe the enemy had some intention of making an attempt to rob your joy. But you stood your ground and held your tongue as you went back into the enemy's camp and took back what he stole from you. By the sound of your reply it seems you are confident in the Lord our God and you know that you know He is stronger than any tactic of the enemy. What a blessing and great example how to overcome the trials set before us! Know that the Lord is proud of you relying on Him rather than taking matters into your own hands. It seems like the Lord is having me share this with you: "Well done true and faithful servant."
Old 12-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Can we get a thread resurrection?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dirtdobber
Can we get a thread resurrection?
Merely waiting for questions re: how can I understand what God is telling me through His Word. What are you seeking and how can we help?