Wiki Posts
Search

Some shots I took

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Some shots I took

My wife recently bought me a Canon Rebel XSi.

I took these shots at West Coast R/C raceway in La Mirada.

I have never really used a DSLR before but I am trying.

Some shots I took-img_02821-1.jpg

Some shots I took-img_02771-1.jpg

These were shot inside with flourescent lighting. ISO 1600, 1/200, F5.6, On Camera flash up with a 18-55mm lens.

These buggers are fast! I could barely get them to shoot clean at 1/200. I wish I could have done 1/250 but the camera does not allow that with the built in flash.

I have some others at home but these are the only ones I emailed to myself so I can put them up at work.

What do you think?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Those are pretty good Chris......I've been having a hell of time trying to figure out settings for the indoor stuff. What kind of DSLR you using?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nc-hopsing
Those are pretty good Chris......I've been having a hell of time trying to figure out settings for the indoor stuff. What kind of DSLR you using?
Thanks Steve,

I am using a Canon Rebel XSi. My settings are
1/200
low f
flash fired
ISO 1600
18-55mm lens

you wu
I'll have to done some post production on the noise created by the high ISO and some cropping to bring the subject closer and eliminate the left overs

I cropped before the noise reduction.

Next time you are at the track maybe we can hook up exchange other ideas.

Tips:
With the stock flash I had to shoot pretty close to the subject and I try to get to a slow spot on the track because anywhere else and the shutter does not close fast enough to "freeze" the action. Otherwise you get a blur.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ckaspar
Thanks Steve,

I am using a Canon Rebel XSi. My settings are
1/200
low f
flash fired
ISO 1600
18-55mm lens

you wu
I'll have to done some post production on the noise created by the high ISO and some cropping to bring the subject closer and eliminate the left overs

I cropped before the noise reduction.

Next time you are at the track maybe we can hook up exchange other ideas.

Tips:
With the stock flash I had to shoot pretty close to the subject and I try to get to a slow spot on the track because anywhere else and the shutter does not close fast enough to "freeze" the action. Otherwise you get a blur.
thats a good setup.(camera)
Old 10-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ckaspar
I wonder if you shot with a slower shutter speed and panned with the car, it would show a lot more speed as compared to the frozen image, in which it looks like it's just static car.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Tech Addict

in order to pan with a flash you to find in the custom functions of your canon, 2nd shutter curtain function and turn it on (or however the custom function works 1 or 2 or something). If you leave it default and pan with the flash you'll get the blur in FRONT of the car and a frozen image behind the blur. With the 2nd shutter curtain, it exposes the image first, then fires the flash. This puts the blur behind the car.