Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Decent Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

do you find the d50 is more than capable enough for rc cars?
what do u mean high speed memory card? can u give me a link?
thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aus jd 2703
do you find the d50 is more than capable enough for rc cars?
what do u mean high speed memory card? can u give me a link?
thanks
This camera, I use to shoot pics of Drag cars going 290+ mph so I'm sure you can take snapshots of an R/C doing 50

here are some sample pics done with the D50 http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/d50

On that site there are alot of users that have samples of their photos using the D50 and they tell you what aperature and shutter speeds they use and what lense. With a DSLR camera the lense is the most important aspect. High quality lenses take better pictures regardless of the actual body.

A High speed card would be like this http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/sd_pro.html

That's what I have. When your buffer in the camera runs out it relys on the speed of the card to determine how many frames per second it will shoot when in continuous mode. It also provides faster transfers to the PC.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

thanks dread,
do nikon make good lense? or are they over priced?
ill buy just the body for the first 6 months then invest in lens spare batteries etc etc,
thanks,
Old 02-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you want to stay cheap, look to pick up a used Nikon D70 or D50 and spend your money on a nice lens. Both are plenty of camera to start with. If you want to spend a little more the newer D80 (which I would say is actually the D70 replacement and not the D50) is great. I had a D70 and now have a D80 and both are fine bodies. I'm sure Cannon has equivalent options.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Addict

The D50 is a more consumer friendly (smaller, lighter) version of the D70 - the D80 actually replaced the D70. The D50/D40 are another line entirely. I prefer the bigger D70/80/200 over the smaller cameras (my little finger falls off the bottom)

Aus, whatever you do - don't buy just the body without lens and wait to afford a lens. If you cant afford both then wait until you can and maybe the body price will drop or a better version appear. Lenses don't really drop in price, but camera bodys do.
Nikon are widely regarded as making the best lenses - cheap? nah, but no good lens is cheap from anywhere.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

You can find great deals if you buy used online. If you buy from a reputable source, they rate them on a scale to 10. They'll explain the rating system and then you can see what you are getting. I've bought a lot of my stuff this way and you'll be able to save a lot of money.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

thanks dread,
do nikon make good lense? or are they over priced?
ill buy just the body for the first 6 months then invest in lens spare batteries etc etc,
thanks,
Nikkor lenses are the first party Nikon lenses and they are very good. See there's one thing about lenses you should remember...they don't all zoom the same. You will need a variety of lenses to achieve the different zoom/macro ability you may need at the time. It all depends on what you want to do. The Kit lense like I said is 18-55mm and it's a very good lense to start with.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

oh my god information over load lol, i got the basics bout frame rates and with drag racing u need a high fram rate (330mph car goes past quick)
so id be willing to sacrafice megapixels if i can capture "the shot"
when u talk about sacraficeing megapixels is it to the point where the picture would pixelate on a4 size prints?
i dont plan on printing any bigger ever plus it will be using a buble jet home printer (for mates, just shring for now) and maybe some desktop piks for mates computers, so will the D2H not pixelate at these sizes?
btw should just say i pretty much want a camera that wont blur action shots, thats how noob i am. can i get a decent cammera for under $1000 us?
also can some one give me a crash course in lenses? cheers guys, your all being very patient
If you only blow up an image to A4 and are using a home bubble jet, you will be fine. Only if you do fine art prints or are submitting to publications that may use the image bigger will you run in to problems. Most magazines print a line screen of 133. With that in mind, the minimum you want you shots prepared is CMYK for print (RGB is for web or prints), and you need to multiply your line screen by about 1.7. So if you blow it up for a spread (roughly 11x17), then you will need the shot with a resolution of about 230. Now that is the minimum, and if the Art Director may want to crop, so your beginning image may need to be even bigger than that. BTW, if you're a little new on Photoshop, you can't just size up in "Image size." When you do, it will try and interpolate the image, and the image won't have pixles, but there isn't any more informantion to blow up, so basically you are blowing up an image with a small amount of info which doesn't look good; a big example to see is if you blow up a image off the internet for print, it looks terrible. Now these dimensions I give is for the most basic publications, but if you shoot for magazines like Surfer's Journal, or even National Geographic (o kay that last one is an extreme example), they print with much higher quality paper, printing presses and tighter line screens; often 175, 200+ which means an even higher resolution image. As mentioned, you need to know the final application. If you are just shooting for yourself and friends, shoot away and save the money. If you do make a career of it, it will take some years to develop the skills and style worthy of those publications, which means what ever you buy now will be obsolete when that happens anyway and you'll have to make another purchase down the road.